Gransnet forums

Chat

Les McKeown, Jim Steinman - more of our youth gone?

(66 Posts)
Alegrias1 Fri 23-Apr-21 16:10:40

Les died yesterday aged only 65. Jim Steinman a few days ago aged 72 I think.

This is just a thread for Roller and Meatloaf chat. sad

SueDonim Fri 23-Apr-21 22:34:11

Meat Loaf hasn’t died. It’s the songwriter who wrote many of Meat Loaf’s hits who has died.

ML’s name given at birth was Marvin but he apparently changed it to Michael some years ago.

welbeck Sat 24-Apr-21 00:20:12

i'd never heard of them either.
i had heard the name meatloaf, but assumed it was a group rather than an individual.
anyway, condolences to those who are affected.

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Apr-21 10:23:32

During one of his numerous trips to A&E at Derby Royal Infirmary; DH found himself in the next bed to Mr Loaf

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Apr-21 10:24:31

Mr Loaf who has not died, I must reiterate

Ro60 Sat 24-Apr-21 10:38:27

Bye bye baby - such catchy tunes.
I was at middle school & my friend went to see them at Donnington (Leics). My parents wouldn't let me go.
She jumped in the lake to swim over to them!
Les was my favourite.
Tartan trousers and scarves. ? happy memories

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Apr-21 10:55:10

Funnily enough Ro, it was Donnington where Meat Loaf was performing when he had to visit the DRI.

SueDonim Sat 24-Apr-21 15:07:10

That’s a funny image, Fanny, of your Dh tucked up in a bed next to Mr Loaf, tucked up in his (supersized!) bed! grin

For those who haven’t heard of Jim Steinman (or ML) another of his songs, perhaps his biggest, is Total Eclipse of the Heart, by Bonny Tyler.

kittylester Sat 24-Apr-21 15:09:19

Bay City Rollers and Jim Steinman are a bit of a funny juxtaposition.

FannyCornforth Sat 24-Apr-21 15:16:44

Yes Kitty, if only Jim had written for the Rollers!

BlueBelle Sat 24-Apr-21 16:16:07

Most people including me have heard of Meatloaf I really loved his performances and songs but I rarely know who wrote songs for groups or singers
Bay city rollers, far too young for me, they came on the scene when my eldest was 10ish so not in my era I remember buying her some tartan trousers and she fell down and put a whole in them first time she was heart broken I bought a bay city roller badge and sewed it over the hole I don’t suppose there were ever the same though I think it was a short lived love affair for her ?

kittylester Sat 24-Apr-21 18:52:02

Fanny, it wouldn't have been quite the same really!

Savvy Sat 24-Apr-21 19:39:25

kittylester

*Fanny*, it wouldn't have been quite the same really!

No, but it would have been interesting!

Alegrias1 Sat 24-Apr-21 19:48:34

The three remaining Rollers....when did we all get so OLD!

Clawdy Sun 25-Apr-21 08:32:50

I was desperate to see the Bat Out Of Hell musical and persuaded my reluctant daughter to come with me. She was completely blown away by it, and went to see it a further four times, once going up to London for the last performance before it finished! It was her sad text that informed me Jim S had died.

Gannygangan Sun 25-Apr-21 17:24:55

Great article about Jim and Les in the Guardian

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/24/thanks-jim-steinman-and-les-mckeown-for-reminding-us-that-the-best-pop-is-pure-fantasy

Alegrias1 Sun 25-Apr-21 18:21:39

Great article gannygangan.

SueDonim Sun 25-Apr-21 18:54:24

Love this from the article Gannygangan If the title track doesn’t make you want to ride a motorbike along a clifftop with your hair on fire, nothing will. grin

kittylester Sun 25-Apr-21 18:56:08

Presumably that was about a BCR album?

Casdon Sun 25-Apr-21 19:17:06

Of course*kittylester*!
The final paragraph of the article summed it up so perfectly.
‘Steinman, in particular, understood that supposedly ordinary lives are full of drama. And supposedly ordinary people harbour inner drama queens. And that, in many ways, this is the best of us and we will always want and need to access it. So thank you (with no caveat) for the music, gentlemen. And, just as importantly, thank you for the drama.’

Scullion52 Mon 26-Apr-21 10:42:18

Old age how can we not be nostalgic about brilliant people

Dearknees1 Mon 26-Apr-21 11:12:08

Meatloaf - Marvin Lee Aday - is still alive. Jim Steinman was the man behind the music. A brilliant pairing of genius. Rock meets theatre. Their music has stood the test of time. For me the Bay City Rollers aren't in the same league. They were the boy band beloved of the teenager girls I taught in the 70s. I know they will be very sad.

Moggycuddler Mon 26-Apr-21 11:12:12

Both figures from my youth too. Very sad.

missdeke Mon 26-Apr-21 11:23:03

Not particularly a fan of Bay city rollers, but Jim Steinman was a songwriting genius, not only songs for Meatloaf but he also wrote for Bonnie Tyl.er, I too love the Bat out of Hell album

Alioop Mon 26-Apr-21 11:30:21

So sad to hear about Les. I saw him a few years ago at a benefit concert, it was a small venue down by the marina where I live. It was in a large marquee and the place was rocking, the screams of The Roller fans was brilliant, all waving their tartan scarves. He put on a great show. Bye Bye Les.

mimismo Mon 26-Apr-21 11:48:24

We had, a BCR dress up party at uni in the late 70s and they came for a concert too I believe.