Gransnet forums

Chat

The best days of your life?

(103 Posts)
millymouge Fri 23-Apr-21 17:21:27

Sitting sewing and listening to some old songs on the radio. Someone was singing “that these were the best days of my life”. Just wondered was there any time that you can look back on and say that these were the best days of your life?

KaEllen Thu 29-Apr-21 23:27:04

Ah yes, many good individual memories throughout life, but if we are talking about a period of time, two stand out for me.
Firstly, a year and a half, aged 18/19, deeply, madly, overwhelmingly in love; at the same time fighting to escape a suffocating family, and getting a first taste of freedom.
Secondly, a few years in my early forties, when the children had left the very demanding early years behind, and before my marriage went totally pear shaped; that was perhaps the most satisfying time in my working life too.

Now looking forward to retirement, and wondering what else I could do with my life. There must be more adventures to be had?!

tom16 Wed 28-Apr-21 18:50:33

My first thought was that the best days were my most energetic and seemed to have most promise when I was around 35 years old. I cannot remember what I was doing but I know my life had promise and energy. After that all down hill am afraid. Of course there is experience to show and live by but I think disappointment is what I feel most of. I had great expectactions of life which it has not delivered. Such is the luck of the draw!

Shropshirelass Wed 28-Apr-21 08:53:05

My childhood without a doubt. I was fortunate with the best parents ever, I was loved, had a lovely home, had everything - I was not spoilt but lucky to have been given a wonderful life and opportunities.

Berylsgranny Wed 28-Apr-21 08:11:21

Arrival of adopted baby daughter after 13 years of trying to get pregnant. Bringing her up, an only child but turned out brilliantly (most times anyway) wink

Clawdy Wed 28-Apr-21 08:00:17

First house, first baby, same year, then four happy years, just the three of us. Then we moved house, had a second baby, and everything changed.

Marmight Wed 28-Apr-21 07:56:45

My 20s & 30s. The sheer excitement of meeting my husband, marriage, buying our first little cottage, discovering I was pregnant - then again x2. Growing up with our children and having such fun. It was a magical time. The last few years have not been good; DH died, the children all grown up and making their own happy lives, (for which I am grateful) and now I am just on my own & lost. Oh, to turn the clock back ...

Gingster Wed 28-Apr-21 07:30:12

30’s and 40’s. Caravanning holidays with lots of friends. Long summers away and just having fun, with the children.

heath480 Wed 28-Apr-21 02:07:21

My 30’s,married to the love of my life with three children.I was a stay at home Mum after being an Army nurse.I enjoyed every single moment of it.

Imavinhoops73 Wed 28-Apr-21 00:02:31

Early 20s when I had my boys and my DH was healthy and well.

Jaxjacky Tue 27-Apr-21 20:48:15

Many different brilliant ones, years of them, with far, far fewer not so good. Now is very, very good.

Teddy5005 Tue 27-Apr-21 20:43:08

Being in my twenties and having children when I was young . I could play with them , ride bikes with them . Got my figure back quickly. Miss my divorced husband , wish I turn the clock back . People talked to you then not heads down on an iPhone !

Nanette1955 Tue 27-Apr-21 20:20:41

Oh yes, when I was mid 40s. The children had left home, one married one at uni, I was at the top of my career and loved my job. My husband also in a similar position, so money was for the first time fairly plentiful. I was healthy, not bad looking and life was really good.

Sparkling Tue 27-Apr-21 19:53:10

Family life. I still can’t get used to being on my own, it won’t change, miss the company and banter.

Sawsage2 Tue 27-Apr-21 19:46:56

Best days of my life? The future I hope!

BluePizzaWalking Tue 27-Apr-21 19:38:28

Being a student living away at university was great.
Then when I had two young children and was a stay at home mum.
Now I am retired would be great if we didn't have Covid as that's putting a stop on lots of things I had hoped to be doing.

Kryptonite Tue 27-Apr-21 18:51:25

Babies and children. Now grandchildren.

AmberSpyglass Tue 27-Apr-21 18:12:08

There have been so many - overall, I think I’ve been very lucky. And hopefully
Lots more to come!

LucyLocket55 Tue 27-Apr-21 18:09:47

Definitely now ?

Rosiebee Tue 27-Apr-21 18:03:12

Best years have to be since I married DH, 30 years in August. Scariest times as well with health scares. But still want to wake up with him for many more years.

marionk Tue 27-Apr-21 17:26:43

millymouge that sounds like it was Brian Adams, Summer of ‘69

rozina Tue 27-Apr-21 17:09:01

The best days of my life are those spent working in Como, Rome, Sardinia, San Felice Circeo and Bolzano in Italy. Had a fabulous time working in two families at 3 different hotels, a restaurtant, on a Renta Villa Scheme, as a Ski Resort Rep, but the best one of all has to be working for a French Film Star in Sardinia.....................................just heaven!!

Romola Tue 27-Apr-21 16:32:44

This is a PS to my last post. My husband is a 10-year survivor of a cancer which has killed several people we knew. These years have been truly happy and every morning I wake up grateful that I still have him. He'll be 86 next week, still fit and healthy, but our time, in the nature of things, is getting short.

Romola Tue 27-Apr-21 16:24:09

My best years were our early married ones, having fun together including some great holidays, and buying our first house after a tiny flat.
Unlike many of you, I found the years as a mum of little children quite stressful. I had enjoyed my job, and felt a loss of identity as well as income of my own. And I know my husband found it a big responsibility having four mouths to feed on one income.

Lizzie44 Tue 27-Apr-21 15:50:40

My three years at university in London in the early 1960s. It was a new and exciting life and very different from my quiet childhood as an only child growing up in a family climate of stress and anxiety. Moving to London was an explosion of life - new friends, discussions until late into the night, Sunday evening concerts standing in the gods at the Albert Hall, meeting my husband to be... Now married for 55 years, we both fondly remember those carefree student days.

BlueSapphire Tue 27-Apr-21 15:32:47

Oh, without a doubt, my mid-20s, when I was living and working in Singapore, where I met late DH. We had the most wonderful time, and continued to do so for the 49 years we were together, enhanced by the arrival of our children.