Chat

Are You Superstitous. ?

(19 Posts)
Blossoming Sun 02-May-21 19:36:26

This thread title has given me today’s ear worm grin

youtu.be/0CFuCYNx-1g

Anniebach Sun 02-May-21 19:29:41

I am not superstitious yet I will not cut finger or toe nails,
do the laundry, play card /dice games and several other things on a Sunday.

Things not done in Baptist homes on a Sunday many years ago.

Grannynannywanny Sat 01-May-21 12:45:01

I’m not superstitious but my Irish Mum was very superstitious. All of those mentioned upthread and many more.

My Irish cousins haven’t managed to shake it off. One of the worst was many years ago when one of my cousins was pregnant with her first child. Sadly, her mother died before the baby was born and she didn’t want to go in the graveyard for the burial as she’d been told her baby would be born with a physical deformity if she stood at the graveside.

My usually superstitious Mum managed to persuade her that it was nonsense and she did attend the funeral.

vampirequeen Sat 01-May-21 12:08:04

I'd like to say no but denying superstitions is said to be unlucky and I don't want to take the risk grin

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 01-May-21 12:02:26

To a certain extent. I find misfortunes come in threes and that was certainly the case yesterday and it wasn't even Friday the 13th - though I refuse to believe in that as I was born on the 13th (Thursday thankfully).
I chuck spilled salt over my left shoulder but try to to get concerned about cracked paving stones or magpies. Late MIL quoted all sorts of superstitious facts and really seemed to believe in it. She'd say that she was a lucky person whereas I've been unlucky. I'm obviously going wrong somewhere!

boheminan Sat 01-May-21 11:49:55

Can't cross my knife & fork on my plate and will ask others to uncross theirs. I will not have peacock feathers in the house, new shoes on table, umbrellas up indoors - and countless other no-no's all inherited from my mother - so yes, I'm superstitious

timetogo2016 Sat 01-May-21 10:09:36

Only when it suits.

Seabear Sat 01-May-21 08:51:19

Not at all.

Redhead56 Sat 01-May-21 07:46:26

I have come out with some expressions touch wood etc but I must of heard it from somewhere when young. I think not Ealing under a ladder is common sense I am suspicious of people sometimes. I am not superstitious at least I never thought I was but you have got me thinking now!

M0nica Fri 30-Apr-21 22:28:36

No, touch wood!

NanKate Fri 30-Apr-21 22:20:14

I avoid walking under ladders ?

Kim19 Fri 30-Apr-21 22:04:43

Not remotely. The

Jaxjacky Fri 30-Apr-21 22:02:29

There are a lot of single magpies around here at the moment, I’m good morning/afternoon ing all over the place!

Urmstongran Fri 30-Apr-21 21:47:30

Seems to occur when I’m anxious. - waiting for test results. I do all sorts of nonsense. A nurse said recently it’s my mind’s way of believing I’m in control of the outcome.

Sara1954 Fri 30-Apr-21 21:42:07

I think my head tells me it’s nonsense, but like your friend Maywalk, I wouldn’t be happy about breaking a mirror.

Maywalk Fri 30-Apr-21 21:36:38

Actually Esspee there are STILL many folk who believe these superstitions.
I was talking to one person this morning who said she had broken a mirror and just hoped that nothing bad would happen because she was just about to become a grandmother for the second time.

Esspee Fri 30-Apr-21 19:20:30

I don’t have a superstitious bone in my body. We have surely evolved past that stage.

Sara1954 Fri 30-Apr-21 19:14:02

I’m not sure I actually believe any of it, but I won’t tempt fate, so definitely avoid all of them whenever possible.

Maywalk Fri 30-Apr-21 19:09:50

There must be many more superstitions from different areas or countries and it would be interesting to know what they are.

SUPERSTITIONS.

Are people superstitious today as my mother was years ago?
Like bringing lilac in the house, this could bring much woe
Not to wash on Good Friday or Xmas and New Year’s Day
Because this was bad luck for family, and would wash a member away.

Number 13 was unlucky and 666 was taboo
This is the devil’s personal number and he would come looking for you,
Never put new shoes on the table or pass anyone on the stair
Something unpleasant would happen, do it if you dare.

Crossed knives meant an argument and one magpie something sad
Don’t walk under a ladder, spilling salt was also bad,
Breaking a mirror means seven years bad luck for all the family
My mother with all of her sayings tried to put the fear of God in me.

Seven is supposed to be lucky, good fortune is on its way
And to have a black cat cross your path, it could be your lucky day.
I grew up with these superstitions pushed into my head
It’s a good job I ignored a lot of what my mother said

So anyone who believes in all this think hard before you speak
Because to someone who is nervous these sayings can make life bleak.

Copyright © - Maisie Walker 2003 - All rights reserved