Gransnet forums

Chat

Where did you live when you were newly weds?

(24 Posts)
Lovetopaint037 Fri 07-May-21 17:48:59

In 1960 we rented a semibasement on Shepherds Bush Green.
It had one cold tap and a toilet just outside and adjoining the house. If we wanted a bath we had to go up to the front door and use a bath in the main house. We never did this and just “washed down”. I remember sitting in a bowl to wash myself more thoroughly. The old lead pipes kept leaking and many a time I came home to sprays of water. Yet we thought we were fortunate to have an unfurnished flat with it’s one bedroom and small kitchen. We decorated it and bought a kitchen cabinet for the kitchen. Furniture was second hand or a wedding present. Lived there for two years until we found a flat in Chiswick by the river. After five years we had enough money for a deposit on a small house in Thornton Heath. Eight years later we moved to our present home.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 07-May-21 17:01:31

Our first home was a furnished rented flat in Wokingham. I was peeling carrots at the sink when suddenly something hit my head - turned out the ceiling had fallen down, the edge just catching my head! I found the carrot the other side of the room!! We eventually bought a house in Wokingham and the rest is history!!

Sar53 Tue 04-May-21 20:58:46

We bought a 2 bedroom maisonette in South West London, this was 1974. We had a bed, a cooker and a fridge to start married life. We didn't have a washing machine until our first daughter was born in 1976.
In 1978 we moved out to Biggin Hill in Kent and managed to buy a 3 bedroom house.

grannypiper Tue 04-May-21 20:45:39

We lived in a 2 bed Married Quarter, no central heating, only heat came from a 2 bar electric fire in the front room and a overhead heater in the bathroom. As he was a lowly Airman we weren't allowed fitted carpets, we had a carpet square for each room.

Clawdy Tue 04-May-21 20:13:08

Tiny top floor flat in a student area of Manchester. Walked past it the other week, after so many years....ah,the memories!

chicken Tue 04-May-21 11:59:50

Lovely stories here.Thanks everyone.

Llamedos13 Tue 04-May-21 00:38:56

A small one bedroom flat at the top of a three story house on the Lisburn Road, Belfast.Furnished with second hand furniture, no washing machine or heat,just a coal fire and coal had to be hauled up three flights of stairs but we loved that flat, it cost us 20 pounds a month!Almost fifty years later I’d love to go back and see inside it.

kittylester Mon 03-May-21 21:31:22

When we first got married we lived in DH's flat in Leicester but then moved and bought a 3 bed semi in Coventry on a modern estate for £3,760.

Katie59 Mon 03-May-21 21:18:47

A Mobile home, tolerable when just the two of us, first child was born in February following winter, that was hard it was so cold we all lived, ate and slept in the living room with a solid fuel stove.

Hellogirl1 Mon 03-May-21 20:58:15

We rented a very old end terraced that started life as a detached house. It had been condemned years before, but a local alderman bought it and put his secretary, husband and toddler in there. When they left we jumped at the chance to rent it at £1 a week (this was 1963). The only heating was the one open fire in the front room, it was riddled with mice and spiders, no hot water supply, and the toilet was across the yard, shared with another house. To get to it we had to go down into the cellar and out of the back door. It was a blacksmiths when it was built in the 1800s, and there were hooks everywhere from the ceilings. Everything we had, not much, was given to us, apart from the cooker which we bought on HP. There were 2 bedrooms, but one wasn`t fit for use, so when we had our 2 children we all slept in the same room, one in the big cot on hubby`s side, and the baby in the carry cot on my side.
After 2 and a half years we put down a deposit on a new house, but that old house is still there, apparently, someone bought it and renovated it, it looks lovely now.

NanKate Mon 03-May-21 20:38:30

In 1971 we bought a lovely two bedroom chalet house in North Bucks. We sat on deckchairs until we could afford a 3 piece suite. No washing machine for a while. A few years back I was with a friend nearby to my first married home. I asked her to take me there just to look at it. It made me very emotional and I wanted to be that young wife again starting married life.

Grandmadinosaur Mon 03-May-21 19:36:59

A 3 bed semi in Derby. We paid &14,500 for it and was in need of some attention.I remember the feeling of pride painting the rooms etc and getting it to how we wanted it. It was a lovely little house with the front of it overlooking fields. We always said it looked prime for building on. Thankfully whilst we were there it wasn’t as a year after moving in in 1984 DH got a new job here in East Yorkshire where we’ve lived ever since.

LadyGracie Mon 03-May-21 19:34:44

We lived in a tiny terraced ‘bungalow’ in Singapore in 1971, no bath or shower just an electric water heater, we filled a bucket and sluiced ourselves down in that.
We had really lovely neighbours, Chinese one side Indians the other, we regularly had tasty treats from various neighbours.

Grandmajean Mon 03-May-21 18:48:22

We were lucky in that I was a teacher in East Kilbride near Glasgow and, as a key worker, was allocated an East Kilbride Corporation flat . You had to be married but this was 1969 ! It was a very nice brand new apartment with two bedrooms. We were delighted with it and saved enough in two years to buy a small detached bungalow which cost £3,500 !

maydonoz Mon 03-May-21 18:38:29

We lived in N London in a tiny rented but self-contained flat, which was previously rented by a young couple we knew. It was very cosy and easy to look after. The following year we brought our DS1 home from hospital there and three months later, we moved abroad. We have good memories of that flat, although it was difficult with a small baby. We had a very kind neighbour who offered DH the use of her flat during the day as he was writing his thesis for PhD, which was an amazing gesture on her part and a great help to us.

FlexibleFriend Mon 03-May-21 18:05:13

We weren't married but bought a 3 bed terraced house in Bedfordshire. It needed work and we had no furniture but gradually sorted the house and furniture, including washing machine. We sold it 4 years later for twice what we'd paid for it and moved back to London.

lemongrove Mon 03-May-21 17:50:07

Jane43

When we married in 1965 it was customary for newly weds to live with parents and save to buy a house. We didn’t want to do this so we found a one bedroomed flat in a rathe dodgy area of Wolverhampton. It was unfurnished so I cashed some National Savings Certificates and Premium Bonds and we bought a bed, wardrobe, settee and two chairs. The kitchen was tiny and we had no washing machine but we managed and nine months later we had enough money saved to buy our first house, a new build semi with three bedrooms.

Very similar here, but in Essex.The one bedroomed flat was furnished but sparsely, it was in an old (Victorian) house that was divided into four flats.Moving to the modern semi felt like Heaven.Still no washing machine though, so trips to the launderette a weekly feature.

chicken Mon 03-May-21 17:25:47

For some reason, the original thread turned up on a
Legal and Money instead of on
Chat

AGAA4 Mon 03-May-21 16:56:48

I didn't see the first thread.

We were quite lucky as the house came with my husband's job. It was a terrace but had three bedrooms. We always had to have a fire lit if we wanted hot water as we couldn't afford an emergen heater. There was no central heating.

tanith Mon 03-May-21 16:07:28

No worries great question ?

chicken Mon 03-May-21 15:51:09

My phone deleted my first thread and is still showing just one! Apologies.

tanith Mon 03-May-21 15:43:50

Chicken why have you started the same thread again? You have lots of replies on your first thread.

Jane43 Mon 03-May-21 15:40:39

When we married in 1965 it was customary for newly weds to live with parents and save to buy a house. We didn’t want to do this so we found a one bedroomed flat in a rathe dodgy area of Wolverhampton. It was unfurnished so I cashed some National Savings Certificates and Premium Bonds and we bought a bed, wardrobe, settee and two chairs. The kitchen was tiny and we had no washing machine but we managed and nine months later we had enough money saved to buy our first house, a new build semi with three bedrooms.

chicken Mon 03-May-21 15:26:23

Our first home was the bottom floor of an old terrace house in Leicester,looking out onto a blank brick wall which formed the back of a garage business.The small living room contained an unusable iron kitchen range and there was a scullery with a deep stoneware sink and not much else apart from an ancient gas stove.No work surfaces. The lavatory was second foor along in the back yard, next to the coal house and was shared with the upstairs tenants who had either to walk through our flat to get to it or go out of the front door, along the pavement and down a little alleyway between the houses.The bathroom was in the upstairs flat and had a heater in a huge tank which took 24 hours to heat up enough water for one bath.We were happy to have our own place and lived there for 2 years,by which time we had saved up the deposit to buy an old detached house with a big garden which cost us £3750. How times have changed.We had no modern amenities,dreadful second hand furniture, no central heating but considered ourselves to be really fortunate.