Gransnet forums

Chat

Life's unanswered questions...

(74 Posts)
lizzypopbottle Mon 10-May-21 15:05:30

Why do clothes manufacturers make their labels out of nasty, scratchy stuff? (Especially the ones at the back of the neck...)

Rowsie Thu 13-May-21 11:52:26

M&S are the worst offenders, I find! I have cut so many labels out of T shirts (badly) that I am pretending I am starting a new trend (tiny holes in the back of the T shirt!)

nanna8 Thu 13-May-21 03:10:58

Those sardine tins with a loop at the top that breaks off when you try to open them.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-May-21 02:52:22

Katek it's deliberate to try to persuade you read it!

Katek Wed 12-May-21 22:59:12

Why, when I open a new pack of medication, is the information leaflet always folded over at that end?

allsortsofbags Wed 12-May-21 22:39:36

I love this thread.

Pet hates, my "Why" questions are ; scratchy labels, ribbons on tops, corners on jars, too much packaging, packaging that's difficult to open. The list goes on but this post seems to have covered lots of those unanswerable questions.

I must admit I'm not always polite or rational when I'm asking "why" the bleep bleep :-)

Thanks for starting the post.

Grannycool52 Wed 12-May-21 22:34:06

Greyknitter, I have always wondered about those ribbon loops in pyjama trousers too ?.

Yorki Wed 12-May-21 22:17:34

Lizzypopbottle.. I quite agree, I always cut them out, but I've also cut so close to the fabric that I've caused holes to appear, but if I don't get it all off it still scratches.

Callistemon Wed 12-May-21 15:44:12

I remember a quote by the Colman’s Mustard owner, to the effect that it was the mustard left on the plate that boosted his profits

As DM used to say "That's how Mr Colman made his fortune"

GreenGran78 Wed 12-May-21 15:33:11

I remember a quote by the Colman’s Mustard owner, to the effect that it was the mustard left on the plate that boosted his profits. These days it’s the inaccessible bits of comestibles in the jars. I’m a master at scraping out, cutting tubes open, etc to get at the remains.
As for inaccessible large coffee jars, I just decant them into a smaller one kept for the purpose.
Labels at the back of my neck are always removed, as they drive me mad. Some of them are stitched on so tightly, though, that it’s easy to damage the garment, even when using a stitch ripper.
As for sizing..........don’t get me started on THAT topic!

LisaAN Wed 12-May-21 14:25:51

I have to cut labels out too, they always scratch.

My pet hate is the way women's trousers seem to have less pocket space than men's. Do manufacturers really think that all women carry bags around with them? It is so annoying when my phone falls out of my pocket when I am driving as I can't get it all the way in. I NEVER carry a handbag, I am so used to not carrying one that if I did, I would just leave it somewhere.

GreyKnitter Wed 12-May-21 14:24:58

Talking of the hanging loops in clothes, I had some new pyjama trousers earlier in the week with 4 loops - 1 either side and 1 front and back. Why?! Does anyone hang their pyjama trousers? Am I missing something here?

Alioop Wed 12-May-21 14:01:56

Price stickers annoy me. I buy a lovely present and end up ruining the packaging by tearing it or denting it by just trying to get the stupid price off.

Edith81 Wed 12-May-21 13:54:09

Lizzy I’m glad you asked that question as it’s a pet hate of mine. I wash the new item and when dry I get the scissors and quick-unpick and remove all signs of a label. My friend was aghast when I did that to a designer top.

25Avalon Wed 12-May-21 13:45:29

Not just scratchy labels on the lower back or side of some nighties but also a spare button which is excruciatingly uncomfortable should you turn over and lie on it.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Wed 12-May-21 13:37:41

It's those plastic t-shaped tags on clothes, often through an entire pack of socks I find annoying. Often the thin t-shaped bit gets trapped within the fabric, and ends up being scratchy. Also fhe long vertical labels in the back of knickers - very tickly and venturing where they have no business going!

cc Wed 12-May-21 13:34:17

Calendargirl

Why do so many glass jars containing jam, lemon curd, tartare or horseradish sauce all have curvy sides, instead of straight?
You waste some of the product, even if you use a teaspoon to try and scrape it all out.

(I have probably answered my own question).

Good for sales.

This is so true, the top of the jar before it comes in for the lid is particulary difficult unless you use your finger!

Rosina Wed 12-May-21 13:23:46

I can't bear the labels inside trousers and jeans - they are often at hip level and are scratchy. Even cutting them out doesn't entirely solve the problem as the seams still itch. My solution has been to bu 'big knickers' - the fine silky ones that come up to the waist seem to help quite a lot, and avoid a line around the tummy as well. I thought those loops sewn in at the shoulder were to hook over hangers to stop clothes landing on the floor in shops. I always cut them out as they unfailingly make an appearance!

ALANaV Wed 12-May-21 13:23:19

A very good question .....even undies !!! I bought some new the other day (ok admit I did not wash them before wearing !' but wondered why I had something sticking into my back all day ...then realised it was the label ! even if you cut them off you still get that little ridged bit where it is sewn on, and to spend hours unpicking it is too tedious ha ha ! and don't get me started on slipping bra straps and backs ....I have ONE bra that has specially lined shoulder straps that don't slip SO WISH I could find another ....can't remember where that one came from ! grrr grin

Nanananana1 Wed 12-May-21 12:38:04

I have realise that if there is anything annoying, badly designed or generally poor it is a 'money thing', rarely for the benefit of the customer
When I asked a supermarket chain why I couldn't open the lids of their pro-biotic drinks they replied it was in the 'manufacturer's interest' and helped to cut costs. What about my interest and my cost as I'm the one paying for it?

helen2020 Wed 12-May-21 12:29:50

I use my ribbon loops for tying my clematis, honeysuckle etc to the trellis

HannahLoisLuke Wed 12-May-21 12:25:38

JaneJudge

I was wondering this morning, there are so many ponies in fields by motorways and busy A roads, do they suffer respiratory problems because of the fumes and fuel emissions ?

Well, ponies and horse do get emphysema from dusty hay so they do suffer lung problems and probably from traffic pollution too.

Aepgirl Wed 12-May-21 12:05:56

Totally agree.

Maggiemaybe Wed 12-May-21 11:49:40

I like that one, olddudders!

Corned beef tins with keys and the imminent risk of a trip to A & E - why, oh why?

I know some would address the question to corned beef, let alone the tin, but DH does love a hash.

Diggingdoris Wed 12-May-21 11:48:47

I signed a campaign years ago asking for manufacturers to stop using scratchy labels, but it didn't work as I cut one out of a new cotton traders cardi only yesterday!

Janetashbolt , you could use those thin ribbons to make hanger loops on skirts. They don't always have them, far more useful than neck itching labels

olddudders Wed 12-May-21 11:46:49

Why is there only one Monopolies Commission?