Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you feel if you had to retake your driving licence in full- when over 70?

(174 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

Kali2 Fri 14-May-21 10:25:47

Interested to know how people would feel about this.

Emily49 Fri 14-May-21 18:17:37

Has this happened to you recently, Kali2? Do some countries ask older people to take a further driving test? I think it’s a good idea.

welbeck Fri 14-May-21 18:17:56

i had not driven for over 10 years and was a little tentative. nor had been on a motorway. when as a passenger i noticed strange signs on motorway give time to a city. that seemed strange to me. i remember only miles to a city; i doubted if i ought to drive as i thought i must be very dopey; not only did i not recall ever seeing such signs before, but couldn't understand how time to a city could be predicted.
the driver then told me that the signs had not been there 10 years ago, and depended on cameras monitoring the flow of traffic, also new. so i was not so dopey.
i felt like someone who had been in prison, wondering at changes that other people dont even notice.

Deedaa Fri 14-May-21 18:19:27

I'm nearly 75 and have an eye test every couple of years. I would have thought most people do by the time they are my age. I do have cataracts developing, but very slowly. I know they affect my night vision so I very rarely drive at night. A few years ago there was a TV series about older drivers and I picked up quite a few tips about what to watch out for in my own driving.

One of my neighbours was told to stop driving ( he was about 80 and an awful driver) He started going everywhere on his bike instead and was killed on the road a few months later. I suppose at least he didn't kill anyone else.

Last weekend I was on the M3. It was raining and visibility was poor. All lanes were limited to 50 mph. Two cars passed me side by side, going much faster than me and obviously racing. I suspect the drivers were not over 70.

2old4this Fri 14-May-21 18:20:44

My late father was a terrible driver, only my mother would travel with him. She would not believe that he had dementia, she had poor eyesight, they both were adamant that they had a ‘right’ to be on the road. Fortunately they rarely went out in the car, our police officer son tried to persuade them to give up, my brother also tried. The day finally came when dad got lost having taken mum to the hairdressers, the family seized the moment and his driving days were over. He could not see he had a problem, my mother would not acknowledge the problem, even saying that he could drive and she would tell him to turn left and right......she had macular degeneration!

It is worrying that they are not alone in thinking they have a right to drive, I have met a number of families with the same problem, it causes real problems, you can’t make them declare on DVLA form because they don’t want to stop driving. We spoke to the Dr, they couldn’t do anything, we couldn’t do anything.

My 91yr old BiL was furious when he had to give up, in his head he was 21 and very capable.

ExD Fri 14-May-21 18:20:50

You are right Georgesgran the assessment is much more friendly than the official driving test was, I well remember my knees trembling as I took mine.
The young lady who assessed me was a pleasant woman and very helpful rather than critical. Although I was a physical wreck when I finished, I felt the whole experience was worthwhile as I could take suggestions from her where I might have been insulted if they came from a family member.
I do urge you to Google Rospa and find out if they are available in your area.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 14-May-21 18:21:36

Great idea, but they can’t keep up with first tests as far as I can see.

LadyStardust Fri 14-May-21 18:29:34

Eye testing is so important at any age. My husband has a genetic visual impairment, which means he lost his driving licence. He has very limited peripheral vision and cannot see at all in the dark. However his central vision, though very narrow, is perfect. Hypothetically, if he took a driving test tomorrow he would pass the eyesight test part no problem! I think ALL drivers should have to prove their eyesight is good enough at regular intervals and not just the 'can you read that number plate' standard test.

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 18:35:52

www.angloinfo.com/how-to/australia/transport/driving-licences/exchanging-a-licence

www.expatica.com/ch/living/transportation/exchanging-a-foreign-drivers-licence-in-switzerland-102892/

Here is some more helpful information. Not every country requires you to take a test to swap your UK license for one of the country of residence, although it wouldn't be a bad idea:

www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-in-the-eu-uk-licence-holders-living-in-the-eu
Consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU licence as soon as possible in line with specific advice for your country of residence.

Hope this helps.

I also think there should be more drug-driving tests.

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 18:36:38

license

Sorry - licence
Autocorrect again!

Kim19 Fri 14-May-21 18:43:47

Consider myself a competent and capable driver but I keep hearing that we drivers develop bad habits. I am unaware of having done so but I guess it would take a professional to detect these and point them out accordingly.

Madgran77 Fri 14-May-21 18:44:48

I don't necessarily think it needs to be a full driving test but I certainly think there needs to be a formal practical review of driving post 70 or 75 years ..maybe every couple of years. I wouldn't like it but I think its necessary

Grannycool52 Fri 14-May-21 18:52:31

I would be in favour of a requirement for a refresher course and retest at 70, then regular assessments after that.
Road conditions have changed hugely in the past 50 years, quite apart from our own aging processes.

ElaineI Fri 14-May-21 19:04:52

I think many things have changed in the Highway Code since I sat my test and it is probably a good idea. I have to say the "spaces for people" road markings in Edinburgh are often bizarre including floating bus stops where you get off the bus into a cycle lane, roads where the cycle lane takes up so much space that the car lane is not wide enough for anything bigger than a small hatchback and randomly placed planters in the roads near schools.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 19:52:13

Older people are the safest drivers on the road. of course a few are involved in fatal accidents, and age and frailty

I quote from research done by the RAC
Research by the RAC Foundation suggests drivers aged 75 and over make up 6% of all licence holders but account for just 4.3% of all deaths and serious injuries. By contrast, drivers aged 16-20 make up just 2.5% of all drivers but 13% of those killed and seriously injured.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24204489

To make roads safer it is the 16-20year olds who should have annual tests.

Peasblossom Fri 14-May-21 20:33:35

It’s hard to test for recklessness MOnica. They’d only have to behave for the duration of the test. I’d say raise the driving age but the reckless will just get in cars anyway.

You can test for competency though. If your eyesight’s poor, you’re nervous in traffic or unaware, hesitant or technically incompetent that will show.

And if you’re none of those things then why would a test bother you?

Random spot tests for everyone?

Callistemon Fri 14-May-21 20:49:12

It's a non-sequitur, isn't it.

Just because someone is over 70 doesn't mean that they are a bad driver.
Just because someone is below 70, or have even just passed their test, doesn't mean that they are a good driver.

M0nica Fri 14-May-21 21:28:21

I do think over 70 evidence of an eye test and the results should be required, not just answering a question to say you meet the requirements.

Mind you, after my first cataract operation I said to my optician that I couldn't wait to get my new glasses so that I had good sight in both eyes because, although I could pass the eyesight test, I didn't like driving with slightly less than perfect sight in one eye.

He told me not to worry, someone with tunnel vision and sight in only one eye could meet driving requirements as it was only a test of reading a number plate at a distance.

I found that quite frightening.

ExD Fri 14-May-21 21:40:29

www.olderdrivers.org.uk/driver-assessment/

Not the assessment I attended, but worth getting in touch. You will not have your license taken from you, but you may be advised to take a few lessons.
What is there to lose?

NotSpaghetti Fri 14-May-21 22:42:16

I think it would be a good idea to redo a test at 70.
I wouldn’t like it, but that doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea!

Here’s some info:

Senior Accident Statistics

The fatality rate for drivers over 75 years of age is more than five times higher than the average, and their injury rate is twice as high. (EU Mobility & Transport, 2019).

In Europe, older drivers are over-represented in crashes at intersections. Typically, the older driver turns against oncoming traffic with the right-of-way on the main road. (EU Mobility & Transport, 2019)

In 2018, in Great Britain, 134 drivers at least 70 years old were killed in traffic accidents, and another 3,319 drivers at least 70 years old were seriously injured. (Department for Transport, 2018)

In England, car drivers who are 70 years of age or older are involved in fewer collisions than younger drivers. However, this is probably because these older drivers tend to drive less per year than younger drivers.

The number of collisions per billion vehicle miles travelled (bvm) declines with increasing age until about age 70, when it starts to rise sharply. Drivers who are at least 86 years old are involved in more collisions per bvm than young drivers aged 17–24. (Source: toptests.co.uk/driving-statistics/)

Gelisajams Fri 14-May-21 22:47:48

I think anyone of any age should be randomly called for a driving test. It would keep people on their toes and not fall into bad habits so much.

Esspee Fri 14-May-21 22:53:43

I would be happy to sit a test. I passed my test twice, once abroad and again about 15 years later when I came home but apart from preparing for the tests I have always driven an automatic car. I couldn’t be bothered relearning how to change gears again so I would opt for an automatic licence if there was a next time.
There are too many people driving who shouldn’t be in my opinion.

cornergran Fri 14-May-21 22:58:12

My thoughts are an a compulsory eye test every two years for every driver no matter the age. A driving assessment rather than a driving test every five years from age 60 with evidence needed for car insurance in the same way as evidence of an MoT for the car. Once that is embedded then it’s time to think about what support young and new drivers of any age need to avoid accidents, perhaps an assessment every year for the first five years. Sadly there have always been accidents involving motor vehicles, in my opinion it’s unhelpful to focus on a particular age group, a wider approach is needed. .

DillytheGardener Fri 14-May-21 23:31:46

My lovely FIL had to be persuaded strongly to give up his car. He wasn’t at all keen as my MIL doesn’t drive but after a few near misses DH convinced him that it wasn’t worth the risk of possibly hitting one of the many lovely children who live and play on his street.

Our were sons given the car but it now lies dormant on our drive hmm

I support more frequent testing after 70 as the anus should not be on the family to stop unsafe drivers.

DillytheGardener Fri 14-May-21 23:32:50

Oh Jesus Mary and Joseph , onus not anus. blushconfused

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 06:47:48

The Institute of Advanced Drivers runs assessment drives for the over 70s.