Gransnet forums

Chat

Games or conversations?

(53 Posts)
absent Sat 15-May-21 06:41:33

When I joined Gransnet, just about the time it was started, the conversations were just that – i.e. conversations. We discussed all kinds of things, both trivial and serious. What we didn't have were games. There are loads of internet sites for games, yet apparently, the most popular postings on Gransnet are games. Maybe, I should just give up. It was good while it lasted.

Kim19 Mon 24-Jan-22 19:30:44

Think the games are great.

Grandpajo Mon 24-Jan-22 17:50:36

I think there great for exerscing the brain cellsmile

Floradora9 Sat 22-Jan-22 14:52:06

I hate these stupid games .

Ali08 Sat 22-Jan-22 11:50:50

I love the games!
I scroll through conversations, join in if I feel I have something to offer, then go to games. Sometimes vice-versa.
But I wish GN ADMIN would activate something when games shut down, so we didn't go in and try to play only to then be told the game has stopped.
That's very annoying!

JackyB Fri 21-Jan-22 15:01:27

BlueBelle

Baggs you are so wrong what is snobby about saying they re annoying in the manner they are listed on this site

If anyone wants to hide the games threads this is how you do it if you are on the mobile site if you’re on desktop miss out the first step
1.... scroll to bottom and change to desktop site ( you can’t hide them using the mobile site)
2..... look up to top right hand corner and find a downward arrow click on it
3..... then you get lots of questions go half way down them on the left hand side until you find hide this discussion
3 .... click on that then repeat the process for each individual game thread

BEWARE this does not hide them for ever only until they pop up again (shakes head and puts head in hands??)

I can't do it on the desktop site. I have to change to the mobile site to hide threads. Nowadays I am mainly on phone or tablet so I don't have to change anything. And once they're hidden, they're hidden. They don't come back.

You can however only hide one thread at a time, not the whole section. If you have hidden a thread by mistake, you can unhide it by going to the section it was in. If you can remember what that was. Some threads get started under random headings - we have even seen threads moved from one heading to the other, but that is a different subject.

nadateturbe Fri 21-Jan-22 14:01:03

I like the games when I'm not well enough to contribute anything to a conversation.

rcnrll Fri 21-Jan-22 13:44:31

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

grannyrebel7 Mon 17-May-21 20:11:25

I don't like the games threads. I think they should be in a separate list.

Maywalk Mon 17-May-21 19:57:54

I only liked one game on the computer and that was Scrabble but even that has finished now. sad

Baggs Sun 16-May-21 18:32:31

But then you didn't start a thread with a superior attitude, M0nica. You just didn't fash yourself about games threads as any decent, non-games-playing person would, in a calm live and let live way.

M0nica Sun 16-May-21 08:42:00

I do not see any snobbishness between those who or do not play games. Either you are a person who enjoys games or you are not.

I am just not a games player, never have been, Christmas time I sit back during the vicious games of scrabble that go on in our family. We have lots of other games that everyone else plays and I do only when I am needed to make up the numbers.

I didn't join GN to play games, but to join discussions. That is my choice, but it doesn't mean I feel superior to anyone who did the reverse. each to our own.

Billybob4491 Sat 15-May-21 17:11:01

I prefer the Games threads, as opposed to the RF/Political conversations, people scoring points off each other, these topics seem to bring out the worse in some people who always seem to be looking for a sparing partner.

BlueBelle Sat 15-May-21 17:03:12

The word "can" in my post is very important. It does not say "is" but my use of it implies that I think that the complaint about Games threads in this OP and previous similar ones is a way of looking down on games threads (and the people who use them) as somewhat inferior to "conversation" threads. This is what the message conveyed to me. Other people are of course perfectly free to disagree

Thanks for letting me disagree baggs I m afraid your conclusion is completely wrong in my case (I can’t speak for anyone else) I in NO way look down on ‘games’ players or on having games on here. I play loads of online games all I m asking for is a separate section so they don’t clog up the newsfeed I don’t know why it has to get complicated by putting meanings behind a simply request that just don’t exist

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 16:27:57

It's a LIST of currently active threads. It doesn't matter what the titles are or how they are listed otherwise.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 16:26:46

I should say Active List.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 16:25:49

I think everything that is active (i.e. used fairly recently) is on the Active Forum. When no-one posts on a thread for a while it drops off the bottom of the Active Forum list.

Why should games threads be different from any others?

M0nica Sat 15-May-21 16:23:00

My interest in games is zilch, but it is clear that a lot of people on GN love them, so I just scroll past them. It really isn't difficult or time consuming

welbeck Sat 15-May-21 15:18:21

didn't mean to post it twice.
nor do i look down on games or those playing them.
StatenIsland has a perfectly sensible idea, nothing to do with looking down on people.

welbeck Sat 15-May-21 15:10:42

StatenIsland

I'm newish here and use the desktop version on a laptop. I cannot find an option to hide games. Could someone tell me how to do that?

I don't understand why games are listed under active discussions. No offence to anyone who participates in them but listing one thing after another: apple, banana, cherry ... is not a discussion - it's a list.

One person's sudden participation in several games pushes actual discussions off the active list so I have to go trawling though individual forum categories to see what's current. It would be an easy task for site programmers to separate these out. I'm sure this issue will have arisen before

hear hear.

welbeck Sat 15-May-21 15:10:03

StatenIsland

I'm newish here and use the desktop version on a laptop. I cannot find an option to hide games. Could someone tell me how to do that?

I don't understand why games are listed under active discussions. No offence to anyone who participates in them but listing one thing after another: apple, banana, cherry ... is not a discussion - it's a list.

One person's sudden participation in several games pushes actual discussions off the active list so I have to go trawling though individual forum categories to see what's current. It would be an easy task for site programmers to separate these out. I'm sure this issue will have arisen before

hear hear.

Baggs Sat 15-May-21 15:06:32

I think the anti-games threads comments can smack of intellectual snobbery, truth be told.

I presume this is the comment people don't understand.

It was a direct answer to the opening post of this thread and an indirect answer to all the other threads complaining about Games threads that have occurred before.

The word "can" in my post is very important. It does not say "is" but my use of it implies that I think that the complaint about Games threads in this OP and previous similar ones is a way of looking down on games threads (and the people who use them) as somewhat inferior to "conversation" threads. This is what the message conveyed to me. Other people are of course perfectly free to disagree.

There is even a suggestion in the OP that people who want games threads should go to different sites; or that the poster herself give up on Gransnet because it's not good enough for her any more. This and what I mention in the paragraph above feels from my perspective like intellectual snobbery, or verging on it.

I suggest that the fact that the poster lives in a different time zone from most Gransnet posters may make the games threads seem more dominant than in fact they are. At least, I've noticed they tend to accumulate overnight, possibly because some are used and started by people with insomnia.

If the expression "smack of" was problematic, I used it as an intransitive verb meaning to have a suggestion or trace (of), which I think I've explained above.

I hope that clarifies my meaning.

BlueBelle Sat 15-May-21 14:06:12

No one is saying there shouldn’t be games ....bring them on have hundreds BUT IT either make it easy to remove them from your newsfeed which is gobbled up by them OR give them a separate page/area where we who don’t want to play don’t have to be inundated with them

Sorry baggs I still don’t understand your comment and it seems at least one other person didn’t either !

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 15-May-21 11:16:08

I love the games and the conversations.

NanaandGrampy Sat 15-May-21 11:15:37

I hate the games but defend the right of others who like them.

I hide them too but there are currently so many I have to this at least once a day so I'm another that wishes Games didn't actually come up on the active list just a games list.

Poppyred Sat 15-May-21 10:57:21

Sorry, ignore me... got it back now. ?