Chat

Grannies Panacea. ........ Add Yours.

(31 Posts)
Maywalk Sun 16-May-21 15:34:17

GRANNIES PANACEA
My grandma had her own antidotes for any aches and pains
From bellyache to dock leaves to wrap around a sprain,
There was no N.H.S.in my day but we had our ailments too
She had loads of remedies and these are just a few.
There was Zambuk and Wintergreen and the dreaded castor oil
And a Kaolin poultice slapped on a troublesome boil,
Liquid paraffin to keep your bowels in very fine fettle
Plus: for bronchitis and pneumonia a permanent steam kettle.
Feverfew for headaches and a vinegar headband too,
Friars balsam and pure lemon for coughs, colds and flu.
Indian Brandee for colic and for the female regular pains,
And Nurse Christian ointment for the dreaded chilblains.
Bread poultices were used to bring carbuncles to a head
And a magnet was supposed to help cramp when put into your bed,
A 24 carat wedding ring was rubbed over a painful stye
Not forgetting the cold tea to bathe a badly swollen eye.
A small warm onion placed inside a very painful ear,
Oil of cloves on a raging tooth that had brought many a tear.
People have said that these old cures have helped get rid of pain
Maybe it was psychological and they helped to numb the brain,
But many of the folk who have had these aids are still alive today
And what magic formula the remedies held I really could not say.

Copyright © - Maisie Walker 2003 - All rights reserved

maydonoz Mon 17-May-21 17:55:43

My Mum always had a tube of germolene ointment at the ready, for cuts, grazes and any inflamed skin.
Syrup of figs was given for any sign of constipation.
Heated salt in a nylon stocking was tied around the neck for a sore throat, and it worked! Also a vicks rub or inhalation were very effective against cold or flu symptoms.
We rarely bothered the doctor in those days, our parents/extended family used their common sense.

Greyduster Mon 17-May-21 09:58:34

My mother swore by comfrey leaves for sprains; we picked dock leaves for nettle stings. A pure silk scarf wrapped around the neck was supposed to ease a sore throat. Carters Little Liver pills for when you were “liverish”, whatever that was! Fiery Jack for chilblains. Some sticky pink ointment as a poultice for boils and carbuncles......
As for Sudacreme, we are never without it. It’s DH’s go to for every cut, burn, rash or other assault on the skin. I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t cure squeaky hinges too!

downtoearth Mon 17-May-21 09:28:18

Put a cold flannel on it.
Chilblains where soaked in urine.

My remedy as a nan ...nanny will kiss it and make it better, and if that doesn't help, out comes , yes you have guessed , the cold flannelgrin

nanna8 Mon 17-May-21 06:42:18

Pawpaw ointment is great for bites, stings, exzema,sores etc. Very cheap,too in the red tube at Aldis. You can't go past zinc cream.either, for sores and spots.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-May-21 05:04:19

annodomini

WWM2 does that remedy work for veruccas too?

I’ve no idea tbh and have never tried it, but a Devonshire Aunt swore by it.

We don’t get them in this part of the world so I reckon they only grow on acid or neutral soil, and maybe where it is wetter?

FannyCornforth Mon 17-May-21 03:02:30

Sudacrem is indeed amazing and miraculous stuff.
I have pots of it all around the house.

It's made in Ireland, and its name is derived from 'soothing cream'.

If you say 'soothing cream' in a bit of a rubbish Irish accent (or a good one of you actually are Irish) it does sound like Sudacrem.

Callistemon Sun 16-May-21 23:11:10

My father swore by Fishermen's Friends to keep out the cold and soothe sore throats.
He said green soft soap was best for washing his hair.
Andrew's Liver Salts and Milk of Magnesia for upset tums.
Blackcurrant pastilles were my Mum's choice for a sore throat.
We had Friar's Balsam and Owbridge's cough mixture
Beecham's Powders if you felt ill.
Syrup of Figs to keep you regular and cod liver oil and malt to build you up.

But best of all was a drop of brandy in warm water with sugar.

BlueBelle Sun 16-May-21 22:33:44

Ŷes I used to have to steam in friars balsam tea towel over head and not a health thing but we used to steep tea and when it was cold put it on our legs with cotton wool to give them a tan Did any of you do that and buy gum Arabic ( whatever that is ) from boots to wash your petticoats in to make the stick out stiffly under your circular skirt

sodapop Sun 16-May-21 22:29:22

I remember those tiny black sweets called Imps Buffybee they tasted disgusting.

Lucca Sun 16-May-21 19:31:48

anyone remember inhaling Friars Balsam for a cold? With a tea towel over your head

JackyB Sun 16-May-21 19:28:19

My mother had a "blue bag" for wasp stings.

I think Witch Hazel had disinfecting properties. My beautician used to have some ready on cotton wool to hold against the skin of the upper lop when she waxed it. It had to go on immediately and had a wonderful soothing and cooling effect and no red marks!

Parsley3 Sun 16-May-21 18:09:14

A hot toddie cured most things when I was a lass.

BlueBelle Sun 16-May-21 17:31:58

Organic Coconut oil (solid) very cheap fromB and M around £1.85 has antibiotic properties works like a dream for me first sign of anything getting infected
My Nan gave me a little egg cup with whiskey in to rub on my gums when I had tooth ache I must have been about 4 ???
Can’t bear the stuff as an adult she also use to wrap salt in a hankie and heat it up for ear ache
Arrowroot clears up the trots , still use that my mum in law introduced me to it for the children it works
Calamine lotion for itchy chickenpox or sunburn and golden eye ointment for styes

Peasblossom Sun 16-May-21 17:23:51

My grandmother’s panacea for any ailment was “Work it off”.
She lived a hard life.

Grandmabatty Sun 16-May-21 17:19:37

Annodomini I had a very large, troublesome verruca on my big toe. My chiropodist tried everything to get rid of it but had to be careful as I'm diabetic. The last thing she suggested was banana skin wrapped round the offending toe. I was extremely sceptical but to my great surprise it worked!

AGAA4 Sun 16-May-21 16:26:59

I remember my Grandma used to have bile beans in her drawer. Little black things if I remember correctly. She wouldn't tell me what they were for as you didn't talk about bowel issues in those days.

Buffybee Sun 16-May-21 16:18:58

Does anyone remember having Little Lung Healers?
They were very tiny black balls that we were given if we had a bad cold.
Also something called Imps to suck if we had a cough, they were tiny liquorice flavour tablets in a tin.

hazel93 Sun 16-May-21 16:18:10

Oh, should have added Sudocrem brilliant stuff !

GagaJo Sun 16-May-21 16:17:27

A Swiss friend recently told me to use the hair dryer to blow warm air into my ear, when I had an ear ache. She was right. It worked.

Blasting the hottest setting on the hair dryer also kills the itch of a mosquito bite for 4 or 5 hours too. That one is my discovery.

hazel93 Sun 16-May-21 16:16:44

Witch Hazel - no idea if it really worked but once the dreaded spots in puberty erupted remember Nan giving me a bottle of this and my skin never became as bad as some of my schoolmates.

midgey Sun 16-May-21 16:12:44

Annodomini you need to cover the verruca up, either black nail varnish or black gaffer tape! Basically exclude any light getting to it.

foxie48 Sun 16-May-21 16:09:48

Another sudocrem fan, it also gets used on horses and dogs as well as people. If we got stung by nettles as a child we'd rub the rash with a dock leaf. We also had honey for sore throats.

AGAA4 Sun 16-May-21 16:09:41

Two paracetamol usually cures me of many minor ills.

Redhead56 Sun 16-May-21 16:01:48

I remember a spoonful of paraffin and malt extract also rose hip syrup and brown paper on my tummy for travel sickness. I always have Sudacrem and oil of cloves in too and a bottle of wine or two in the fridge.

annodomini Sun 16-May-21 16:00:16

WWM2 does that remedy work for veruccas too?