Gransnet forums

Chat

What’s your favourite mondegreen?

(210 Posts)
Blossoming Tue 18-May-21 17:21:54

A mondegreen is a misheard lyric or phrase that seems to make sense but has a completely different meaning to the actual words used. It comes from a mishearing of a poem that read ‘They have slain the Earl of Moray and Lady Mondegreen. Except it really read ‘They have slain the Earl of Murray and laid him on the green’.

My own favourite, courtesy of a little niece, is that well known song by John Travolta and Olivia Newton John, from Grease, “You’re the Wizard of Oz, ooh ooh ooh”.

timetogo2016 Mon 24-May-21 18:06:34

Chiquititia by Abba, we sang " take your teeth out".

blossom14 Mon 24-May-21 18:01:50

Many years ago when telephones were not common in households. The BBC would often broadcast missing persons appeals after the news. My little mind interpreted the plummy voiced announcer saying 'Last heard of' as 'Lost her dog'. I assumed that there was a nationwide list of people who had registered a lost dog!

Youngatheart51 Mon 24-May-21 16:05:40

Chiquitita by ABBA gets sung as take your teeth out & my husband always sings mammeries instead of memories in I will always love you by Whitney Houston!

effalump Mon 24-May-21 15:35:01

My younger brother was born around the time when Donna Summer had "I feel love" in the charts and my mum always used to say the chorus sounded like "Nappy rash".

CherryCezzy Sat 22-May-21 18:36:38

Only just found this thread, loving these ?

Here's mine:
"He pulled in just behind the fridge, he laid her down, she frowned" ? David Bowie Young Americans

Well you would frown if someone tried to lay you down behind a fridge wouldn't you ?

Mollygo Sat 22-May-21 09:56:31

Alexa do you mean those aren’t the right words?gringrin

Alexa Sat 22-May-21 09:49:37

"When the sun hits your eye like a big piece of pie that's amore"

Pittcity Sat 22-May-21 09:18:42

Polly4t42

Yes I agree I was brought up in Southampton which had a city wall but I knew other towns and cities didn’t. So it made sense to me as a child that having a city wall or not was an important thing.

The green hill was outside (without) the city wall.

CatNurse Sat 22-May-21 00:52:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

justwokeup Sat 22-May-21 00:45:22

DC1 said ‘cheeses’ when I asked what they’d been learning about at school that day. A bit of an odd subject for 5 year olds I thought. ‘Cheeses?’ I asked ‘what did you learn about cheeses? The reply was a bit impatient ‘We learned a song about little Baby Cheeses (Jesus).

sillydevil Sat 22-May-21 00:36:26

I saw a Utube video of Tommy Robinson (the far right wing British activist) supporters chanting support for him and it sounded 100% like "Gobby, Gobby, Gobby, Gobby Robinson" evidently the "Gobby" should have sounded like "Tommy", but the "Gobby" certainly fitted better. Although his real name is evidently Stephen Christopher Yaxley-Lennon, who knows why he doesn't use it?

GrannyRose15 Sat 22-May-21 00:30:27

Grandma70s

The carol Gabriel’s Message apparently contains the line “Most highly flavoured gravy”.

(“Most highly favoured lady”,)

My husband sings that just to annoy me - works every time hmm

Ro60 Sat 22-May-21 00:10:49

Lol you're too clever! ? NotTooOld I can recount loads - trying to space them out ?

NotTooOld Fri 21-May-21 22:03:22

These are all lovely. Keep them coming. Wish I could think of one........... smile

bobbydog24 Fri 21-May-21 21:34:25

My cousin used to say Our father was shot in heaven.

lexigran Fri 21-May-21 17:13:04

One of my favourites is from Dave Allen who attended a funeral as a child and thought the priest was saying
" In the name of the father and of the son and into the hole he goes" smile

nadateturbe Fri 21-May-21 12:59:27

I used to sing I'm the end-it-all man. (Neanderthal). I can't believe I didn't know the word. blush

I've had fun reading these to my husband.

clareken Fri 21-May-21 09:39:05

My youngest sister used to say cosbe instead of because. It was because our mother used to get us to sing We're off to see the Wizard, when walking to church, or any longish walk. The correct lyrics are be..cause,be..cause,be..cause. She thought it was cosbe, cosbe...

arosebyanyothername Fri 21-May-21 09:04:22

My own favourite is “Somewhere over the rainbow weigh a pie”

arosebyanyothername Fri 21-May-21 09:01:21

Helen Wheels by Wings was out when I met my husband to be. He insisted that it was Hell on Wheels.
Our first argument ❤️?

nadateturbe Fri 21-May-21 03:31:46

Not sleeping (what's new?) and this thread has been great company, although I've had to stifle laughter many times in case I wake my OH.
Great thread Blossoming. Mondegreen is new to me too.

My son used to sing " Don't cry for me Sergeant Tina". ( From Evita)

I used to sing "He's wearing his Mackinson" (fron The Hollies song He aint Heavy.... 'His welfare is my concern". I thought it was a type of coat.

nadateturbe Fri 21-May-21 02:49:41

Blossoming

welbeck

fiorentina51

My favourite is...
"Ooh, ohhh, me ears are alight."

what is the next line ???

Get up in the morning, slaving for bread, sir
So that every mouth can be fed
Ooh, ohh, me ears are alight ?

Desmond Dekker and the Aces

I always thought it was "Get up in the morning, same thing for breakfast"

3dognight Fri 21-May-21 02:09:53

Auld Lang syne - Old mans eye
My brother sang this for years

Chapeau Thu 20-May-21 22:38:20

One kid in my class "Our lady of the petrol sucker" for our lady of the perpetual succour

GreenGran78 Thu 20-May-21 22:12:10

In ‘Onward, Christian Soldiers’ my brother used to sing “Christ, the royal Master, leans against the phone” (leads against the foe).
My daughter had a music teacher with rather a posh voice. In the Christmas Carol ‘Oh Christmas Tree’ DD used to sing “How lovely are your brown chest” because Miss sang it as ‘brahnches’
I love the Peter Kay video, especially ‘Just want to staple the Vicar!’