Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Chat - All Welcome! ?

(1001 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 01-Jun-21 06:59:50

An Multi-Purpose Thread for All Things Royalty Based.

All are Welcome: Pro; Anti; Monarchist; Republican; a Strange Contradictory Mix; and Don't Knows.

All Topics are up for Discussion:
Both High Brow and Low -Constitutional; Gossip and Innuendo;
Family Members Old and New; Fashion to Infidelities.

You get the idea. ?

God Bless this Ship and All who Sail in Her! ?

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 07:44:37

Yes, it was awful how Crawfie was treated.
I wonder how HM feels about it?
It's noteworthy how poorly Tiggy Legg-Bourke was treated too

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 07:46:14

Calendargirl I didn't know about her funeral
That really is absolutely dreadful

Anniebach Fri 25-Jun-21 08:07:20

No problem with someone trusted who then betrays that trust ?

What has happened to Tiggy ?

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 08:11:32

Annie I was thinking of when William and Harry were young.
Wasn't Tiggy not allowed to see them?

Anniebach Fri 25-Jun-21 08:13:36

Where did you read that .?

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 08:22:44

Annie Oh lord, years ago, in the early nineties.
It would have been in the Daily Mail, I expect.
I may be totally wrong, but I thought that Diana stopped them seeing Tiggy because she was jealous of her.

Whatdayisit Fri 25-Jun-21 08:30:45

In much of worklife you are just a number even when it is such a personal interaction.
Pleasant read though! Was it worth it.

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 08:33:49

Whatdayisit yes, I suppose it changed her (Crawford's) entire life irreparably
I bet that it wasn't worth it

Anniebach Fri 25-Jun-21 09:00:04

Diana was vicious to Tiggy, accused her of having an abortion,
having an affair with Charles.

No way was she stopped from seeing William and Harry, Tiggy’s mother was lady in waiting to Anne, Tiggy has a sister
Zara.

Tiggy was a family friend and still is .

Anniebach Fri 25-Jun-21 09:01:34

And she has never written a book, she would certainly have a best seller if she did.

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 09:08:33

Annie okay, thank you, I stand corrected (re TLB)
I've just read that Diana wrote her a letter (as you do) asking her not to spend time in the boys' rooms, and not to read to them.
So that must have been why I read stuff about animosity in the papers years ago.

Anniebach Fri 25-Jun-21 09:17:37

Wasn’t correcting you, just explaining what really happened, Diana told so many lies. Harry is Godfather to one of Tiggy’s
sons. She was a guest at both weddings.

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 09:19:48

Oh no, that's fine Annie
I'm glad that it's a happy outcome (for a change!)

Anniebach Fri 25-Jun-21 09:23:54

Does it not cause you to doubt the many allegations Diana made ?

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 09:31:54

Right. I'm going to tell you all my obscure Royal Family claim to fame.

When I was a postgraduate in York (mid 90s), I lived with other postgraduates in a building called The Hostel. It used to be digs for nurses, and belonged to a place called The Retreat.

Now, The Retreat is well known in psychiatric circles, it was the first humane hospital for psychiatric patients. I'm not sure when it was founded - Victorian times I should imagine. I used to know a lot about it, but seem to have forgotten most of it...

In the 90s The Retreat was a private psychiatric hospital, I know that Frankie Howerd was a patient.
It had beautiful grounds and a tennis court that we could use and we were quite pally with some of the staff.

One patient / client was a regular visitor to The Hostel; a very well dressed, well spoken old chap, who would pop in for a cup of tea and a chat. He claimed to be the Queen's cousin. He used to paint little pictures for us.

I really, really wish that I'd paid more attention to him now!
What a missed opportunity!
I could kick myself!

FannyCornforth Fri 25-Jun-21 09:34:48

Anniebach

Does it not cause you to doubt the many allegations Diana made ?

Sorry - I was posting my long winded tale when you asked that.
Oh, I was never a fully paid up member of the Diana Cult.
I'm sceptical about much of it.
That said, I'm not anti-Diana either.
It was just an unholy mess tbh

Calendargirl Fri 25-Jun-21 09:53:16

FannyCornforth

Whatdayisit yes, I suppose it changed her (Crawford's) entire life irreparably
I bet that it wasn't worth it

No, I don’t suppose it was worth it. She attempted suicide in later years.

Yes, I suppose it was a betrayal of trust Annie, but nothing compared to more recent betrayals of trust by close family members.

And as I said previously, she was hardly slagging the Royal Family off. The book is a sentimental, rather romanticised diary of life within the RF all those years ago.

Different times, different attitudes,

Whatdayisit Fri 25-Jun-21 13:10:42

Sad that she attempted suicide. Different times. The Queen's dresser brought one out not that long ago. So times have changed. And yes recent family betrayals are awful in my opinion.

Sparklefizz Fri 25-Jun-21 15:09:56

Anniebach

Annie You talk about someone betraying trust, but Charles betrayed Diana's trust by marrying her when he was in love with Camilla.

She was badly done by, and that can't be denied. Everyone who gets married deserves to have their spouse love them. Surely that is a given.

You talk about lies, but Charles lied when he took his vows and obviously lied during the marriage. Camilla lied. No doubt Diana lied too. This is what happens when marriages break up and people are having affairs. No one is perfect.

I wish you felt able to say something nice about Diana for a change instead of painting her as completely awful.

Whatdayisit Sat 26-Jun-21 21:56:32

I have just watched the Diana programme for her 60th. I know so much has been done before but i thought it was a good watch. Very sad.

Did anybody watch the programme with Lady Pamela Hicks talking with her daughter about her life with The Queen?
I thought about the difference how Crawfie was treate.
We just watched it today but it was on before the new baby Lilibet was born so it sounded funny hearing Lady Pamela calling QE2 Lilibet.

Callistemon Sat 26-Jun-21 22:02:08

I have just watched the Diana programme for her 60th. I know so much has been done before but i thought it was a good watch. Very sad.
I saw it and thought that they skipped a lot about Diana's many affairs after she and Charles had split up.
The other thing that struck me was how happy they seemed together in the early days until Diana showed signs of PND and instability and perhaps Charles felt unable to cope with it all.

Some people do have arranged marriages, as theirs was in fact, and do seem to end up content as do many other couples who married for love.

Lucca Sat 26-Jun-21 22:14:58

Sparklefizz

Anniebach

Annie You talk about someone betraying trust, but Charles betrayed Diana's trust by marrying her when he was in love with Camilla.

She was badly done by, and that can't be denied. Everyone who gets married deserves to have their spouse love them. Surely that is a given.

You talk about lies, but Charles lied when he took his vows and obviously lied during the marriage. Camilla lied. No doubt Diana lied too. This is what happens when marriages break up and people are having affairs. No one is perfect.

I wish you felt able to say something nice about Diana for a change instead of painting her as completely awful.

I agree. Was talking about this today and all (pro and anti monarchy by the way)agreed she was a troubled woman who should never have been in that marriage if he didn’t love her. I think she got a lot wrong in her life but she undeniably did a lot of good things for charities etc

Anniebach Sat 26-Jun-21 22:31:19

Sparklefizz. You choose to believe the story that Charles was in love with Camilla when he married Diana, there has never been any proof of this , they dated, Anne dated Parker Bowles, they were part of a country set, Camilla married Parker Bowles
because she loved him.

Charles had an affair with Dale Tyron , yet the same old lie is
spouted, he loved Camilla always.

Why didn’t Diana’s sister tell her if it was true about Camilla ? if
everyone knew ?

Little has been said of Diana being mentally ill, I am so sorry she suffered , but being married to someone mentally ill does
damage marriages.

Diana claims Charles was in love with Camilla, Tiggy, Dale.

Callistemon Diana threw herself down the stairs when she was pregnant, not post natal. I thought the ITV programme was
full of lies.

The person I have always said was the bastard was Johnnie Spencer.

NotTooOld Sat 26-Jun-21 22:36:27

Did not Prince Charles miss his chance of proposing marriage to Camilla when they were both young and single? I believe he was on the point of asking her to marry him but went off to sea before doing so and while he was away she married Andrew Parker Bowles.

Lexisgranny Sat 26-Jun-21 22:50:47

I think I read somewhere that TLG has a sort of upmarket B and B in mid-Wales and married someone she had known for years and had at least one child.

Re Crawfie, I recall that her book was serialised in a magazine, can’t remember each one. As a child (I grew out of it!) I was very keen on hearing about the Royal family they seemed to be all jewels and beautiful dresses. My mother read an episode as a bedtime story on Saturday nights.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion