Gransnet forums

Chat

What is your holding order?

(47 Posts)
kittylester Fri 04-Jun-21 07:22:47

I've mentioned on a couple of threads that I forgot to save the changes to my Sainsbury"s order this week so got 4 boxes of 18 cans of Foster's lager. A friend got 2 bottles of rum in the same circumstances. Another friend is more sensible and puts her basics in.

What is your 'holding order'?

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Jun-21 19:19:23

I just "tip in" my last order.

ElaineI Fri 04-Jun-21 18:53:24

Gin is mine - have had a few mistakes over the years but usually veg that I haven't realised were a pack and not a single item meaning a freezer full of soup or chopped veg! Doodledog I do the same as you. Also do my Mum's and often have to add things to get it up to the delivery minimum. Might try the Coop as they don't have a limit that I can see.

grumppa Fri 04-Jun-21 18:01:15

Ricard and whisky in alternate weeks. Sometimes they're cancelled...

Lexisgranny Fri 04-Jun-21 17:40:42

Fruit and milk. Almost an automatic reflex, save the week when I held my finger on bananas for too long and didn’t notice......."...you can never freeze too much banana bread!

Knittynatter Fri 04-Jun-21 17:26:44

My daughter had expensive bottles of champagne holding her Morrison’s order and forgot to change it in time!! Our local Morrison’s rang her because it was a very unlikely order from her (usually nappies, baby wipes, fresh veg etc!) She explained what had happened and they very kindly cancelled the order and she managed to get a slot for the next day!! Excellent customer service ?

Puzzler61 Fri 04-Jun-21 17:21:46

I’m another with an alcoholic answer:
3 bottles of Pimms ?
It wouldn’t be a hardship if that was all that arrived one day ?

Hellogirl1 Fri 04-Jun-21 17:15:32

I once got 24 swiss rolls, and another time narrowly escaped getting 99 bunches of bananas!

dragonfly46 Fri 04-Jun-21 13:42:09

I should say if I remember I do take the wine out - well that's my story and I am sticking to it!!!

Yammy Fri 04-Jun-21 13:32:06

A bottle of Bubbly. Then delete later in the week and put in the essentials. The daftest thing was a catering seized bag of sugar and 5 pots of basil. Lat week forgot the milk!!!

B9exchange Fri 04-Jun-21 13:18:19

Definitely champagne, any bottle costing £40 or more, which is Morrison's limit, then check out. Only takes a minute, then I go back 48 hours before delivery and do the actual order when I know what I need.

Charleygirl5 Fri 04-Jun-21 13:10:57

There are a lot of budding alcoholics on GN and I put my hand up also.

Kamiso Fri 04-Jun-21 13:09:46

My son’s friend though he was ordering 24 chicken legs but it was 24 x 2kg bags! It was the early days of online grocery shopping.

kittylester Fri 04-Jun-21 13:00:25

growstuff

2 litres of semi-skimmed milk. You don't need a minimum order to "hold" the booking.

You do with Sainsbury's. The minimum is £40 at the time of booking but you can add and subtract stuff until 11pm the night before delivery. Though you must check out again or the inevitable happens!

Nannan2 Fri 04-Jun-21 12:14:39

This seems to be a Sainsburys problem though- id put through an order at weekend, then on wednesday night i added some things but took some out- said it had gone through and it wasnt at cut off time- come thursday i got a couple of stuff i had definitly removed and a couple i think maybe were gone! Im going to ring them when i get a chance over it!?

growstuff Fri 04-Jun-21 12:14:20

2 litres of semi-skimmed milk. You don't need a minimum order to "hold" the booking.

Tizliz Fri 04-Jun-21 12:08:57

baubles

A bottle of malt whisky ? for DH. Not that I buy one every week but if I were to forget to update at least he would be a happy chap.

Same for me!

Did once forget an order - when slots were difficult to get - as it was on a Saturday and I always have Thursday delivery. I had put some things on but it was a strange combo.

Callistemon Fri 04-Jun-21 11:47:05

Milk and yogurt - only if I remember to book a slot in advance.

I once put the whole of a previous week's order in a Friday slot then forgot and booked a Saturday slot from another supermarket.

nanna8 Fri 04-Jun-21 11:05:56

I've never heard of holding orders. You live and learn....

Kate1949 Fri 04-Jun-21 11:03:03

Two boxes of Pinot Grigio. blush Bread, milk, cheese.

mumofmadboys Fri 04-Jun-21 10:49:50

8 bottles of Pinot Grigio. Cancel them later and add real order

MamaCaz Fri 04-Jun-21 10:47:41

Mine is just two bottles of milk (Tesco lets you check out with as little as you like)

I also shop for my mum, but from a different supermarket which has the £40 minimum checkout spend, so I always stick two bottles of whisky in her trolley, or three if it is on offer and two bottles are not enough to make up the necessary £40!
So far, I have always remembered to remove them when I do the proper order, but one day ...

Mum took some convincing that there is no real person taking this order at the other end of the computer, and was very worried about what they would make of her excessive whisky orders grin

Largolass Fri 04-Jun-21 10:24:42

An expensive bottle of Champagne is my holding order till I have time to add my favourites then I delete the bubbly

Peasblossom Fri 04-Jun-21 10:17:09

Toilet rolls, of course?

Petera Fri 04-Jun-21 10:16:00

kittylester

I've mentioned on a couple of threads that I forgot to save the changes to my Sainsbury"s order this week so got 4 boxes of 18 cans of Foster's lager. A friend got 2 bottles of rum in the same circumstances. Another friend is more sensible and puts her basics in.

What is your 'holding order'?

Champagne - and yes there is one in the fridge...

I did the same thing with Ocado and called them to say I'd made a mistake, they refunded the cost and told me to keep it.

Doodledog Fri 04-Jun-21 10:11:24

I was once caught out by forgetting an order and getting a delivery of 20 boxes of Cornflakes.

I now use champagne if I need a placeholder. I no longer drink, but it would make a standby present if I forgot.

I am now in the routine of adding my favourites when I book the slot, then going in the night before to add or remove items. This started when I had to book ahead because of lockdown, and I'm still doing it. I used the champagne at Christmas, as the slots were released well ahead of the delivery days, and I wasn't sure what I would need.