Gransnet forums

Chat

Back to the country

(104 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 07-Jun-21 09:35:03

Where do they find some of these house hunters? Beautiful properties, stunning surroundings but the people looking round, mostly, are so very fussy and quite nauseating. Are they told to pick faults to make the program more interesting or what ? Similar to the ‘ Wanted Down Under’program which is a joke really.

Callistemon Mon 07-Jun-21 22:10:47

lemongrove

Callistemon

All want to be in walking distance of pub, shop, on the ‘edge’ of the village, want to be ‘part of the community’.

One woman who was in the other day had palpitations if she could see the edge of the roof of another house within half a mile.
She didn't want neighbours; she was rather sharp and abrupt in her responses.
I did wonder if anyone already living nearby would want her as a neighbour.

Yes, probably best for all concerned that she was opting for
‘The middle of nowhere’?

Whoops, I hope she's not on GN!
blush

Sago Mon 07-Jun-21 22:58:49

Two of our homes both in different parts of the country have been on the show!

What are the chances?

M0nica Tue 08-Jun-21 08:10:48

The other side of your story Sara1954, is that you buy in the idyllic country village and then they build an estate of 300 houses on the edge of it - and do the same to every village round you, then the local science park expands and the roads are 'improved' and a local army site, derelict for years becomes a warehousing site and you have huge lorries driving through the village 24/7 trying to turn right or left at a narrow junction.

Hoorah for country living grin

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 08-Jun-21 09:03:39

We already live in the country, so I only watch if they are looking in the South or South West on the coast.
We are in a small village with one pub and that’s it, the school bus collects the children who go to the next village as our school closed, the rest of the children are in private schools.
We have one footpath, no street lighting and a playing field up a track, polo ponies in a field.
Sounds idyllic if you can drive, many of the older residents have had to give up their cars and are now stuck if they need to get into Oxford to get to the hospital, or to their Doctors and we have a growing ageing population
Because we are ‘open countryside’ we won’t have the huge amount of building that is going on locally, but we do get their traffic racing through the narrow lanes.
Tractors spreading mud all over the roads, pigs up the top of the lane and the smells wafting down……….
But in normal times, given it’s small size there is plenty going on, community classes in the tiny Village Hall, summer fetes and Aunt Sally in the Pub. Maybe that’s what people are after.

Calendargirl Tue 08-Jun-21 09:08:08

I think many hope it will be a Midsomer Murders type or a Miss Marple St Mary Mead village, minus the murders of course.

lemongrove Tue 08-Jun-21 09:11:51

Monica grin Almost two thousand houses added to my village with more in the pipeline! All in the last four years.
Also, as you say, every other village nearby too.It’s the biggest building boom since the 60’s.

M0nica Tue 08-Jun-21 09:54:10

Oxfordshire, especially south Oxfordshire got 'done over' during Cameron's leadership. A major report was commissioned on housing and how it should be distributed around the country.

Cameron didn't like the answer for Oxfordshire (and only Oxfordshire) so commissioned new consultants to look at Oxfordshire again. The consultants got the message and doubled the housing allocation.

In my LA after you have excluded the Oxford Green Belt, AONB and the flood plain, it doesn't leave much else so all the villages, not in those categories, like mine are being overwhelmed, in fact although our village isn't on the flood plain, it is on the edge of it and all the new housing is actually on the flood plain.

We are protected by being in a listed building in a conservation area that is almost entirely listed buildings, but other parts of the village are less fortunate.

MayBee70 Tue 08-Jun-21 10:38:22

We were watching it yesterday and I said the DH ‘why do these people do so much entertaining and who are they going to entertain if they move miles from where they live? Why don’t we have that many friends?’.

Aepgirl Tue 08-Jun-21 11:23:14

Why do older people suddenly get the urge to have a couple of horses, or a few pigs and chickens. Don’t they realise the work and commitment these carry with them?

Shazmo24 Tue 08-Jun-21 11:32:49

Four in a Bed much better

HannahLoisLuke Tue 08-Jun-21 11:35:56

I do enjoy the programme, although I agree with most of the comments.
Most of the prospective buyers have ideas of grandeur and no clue about looking after livestock or land.
I do like Jules ( fancy a pint) Hudson though. Always so cheerful.

4allweknow Tue 08-Jun-21 11:48:26

Watched yesterday, couple had 4 bed semi in Harpenden and wanted to downsize. The houses the looked at were massive, I just kept thinking of all the cleaning needed. Also the gardens had to be about half an acre. If that is retiring and downsizing I've got it all wrong.

Annaram1 Tue 08-Jun-21 12:09:54

I once lived in an old farmhouse in Dorset. It was on the market with a local estate agent. He rang me to say the TV program Escape to the Country wanted to film my house and put it on the program. Being a messy person I charged around tidying up and a few hours later the team arrived with a couple of large vans and cars. They carried the equipment into the house and I waited outside in a convenient spot. After about 20 minutes they came out and went off. I phoned the estate agents later and was told when the program would be aired. I duly looked at the TV program and my house was not featured. It was a bit disappointing but apparently they look at several before choosing the ones they want on the program. My house was eventually sold.

handbaghoarder Tue 08-Jun-21 12:38:50

Great thread LOL. We live in a decent house in a country village. But I watch these programmes and think well nobody would ever want to buy it. No humongous kitchen with space age island and appliances. Separate living areas rather than open plan. No ensuite. Obviously small bedrooms compared to properties shown. UPVC windows. Smallish garden. Not a fruit tree, cabbage patch or alpaca in sight Dont know how we can bring ourselves to live in it, never mind entertain others.......... Love Jules though. And Alastair who was/ is a real looker (personally I dont like the beard ). And it cheers up a miserable winter afternoon

sodapop Tue 08-Jun-21 12:43:49

It must be real trial living in a house like that handbaghoarder grin

We had a 'friend' who said when she visited, "I wish we had a little house like this instead of our big one" grrrrr

handbaghoarder Tue 08-Jun-21 13:02:21

You have no idea of the embarrassment sodapop. ?. Guess we’ll just have to stay put and lump it . Like you I had a “friend” who told me how she envied my small house as it must be so much easier to keep clean and tidy. And I had no idea the problems she had with staff!! LMAO. We were in 4 bed semi at the time. Maybe we have a mutual acquaintance. Mine got her comeuppance eventually...

knspol Tue 08-Jun-21 13:06:13

When we were house hunting we actually viewed 2 of the properties shown on one episode. They certainly didn't show the faults like the rotten window frames, the general need for a very good clean, doors that wouldn't open fully, lack of heating, damp patches poor quality appliances etc. The houses looked marvellous on screen but they most definitely were not.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 08-Jun-21 13:34:07

Does anyone remember the episode where the buyers were a rather wealthy but mousy looking little middle aged man and his very beautiful six foot tall blonde Russian wife. She had hair down to her waist, wore flared trousers and kept jumping up and down and clapping like a child at every million plus property they were shown. I can’t remember whether they bought anything but I was fascinated by her. She was like a perfect doll but seemed to be a lovely girl too.

Beswitched Tue 08-Jun-21 13:44:20

I have to admit I am bemused by retired couples in their late sixties who want a house down a lonely country lane, fifteen minutes drive from the nearest village, with a massive garden and no neighbours for miles. I mean, have they actually thought this through?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 08-Jun-21 13:52:05

I receive considerable enjoyment from watching people of my age - soon to be 70- considering houses with three stories, narrow stairs, bathrooms up to extra steps and acres of garden, which they seem fondly to imagine they will have the strength and energy to keep looking absolutely perfect.

Usually these properties are in the back of beyond, nowhere near shops, doctors, bus routes or train stations.

I am afraid they are all in for a rude awakening fairly soon after they move in and realise that no-one has time to help with gardening, snow-clearing, cleaning gutters or taking them to the shops when the day comes when they either should not or cannot drive.

How can intelligent people and most of them seem intelligent be so stupid?

M0nica Tue 08-Jun-21 13:57:08

I know exactly what you mean Beswitched. I wouldn't touch an isolated house at any age.

We did live in a small village in a very suburban area of Berkshire. Even then although there was a small shop, post office and garage, but, next to no buses, country roads I didn't want the children walking or cycling late at night and 4 miles to school.

When DC reached secondary school age we moved back into town. I had enough of being a free taxi service.

Now we live in the old part of a large village; Coop selfservice, PO, lots of buses, village school, even a hairdresser

Grandyma Tue 08-Jun-21 14:19:02

I record Escape to the Country to watch when I can. Not sure if I love it or hate it but I’m very nosey! I cannot understand why they never take their shoes off!! They often view the garden first, often in the rain and then walk straight into the house!! Also every single couple hold hands. My DH pointed this out initially but he’s right ?

SJV07 Tue 08-Jun-21 14:22:21

Don't people realise the 'Country' is dirty, smelly, cold, wet, muddy, and downright dangerous? And that is for starters! How many of the 'incomers' stay long? Too far from Town, cinemas, very lonely etc.

And 2nd homers should be banned. They buy up the small houses the local young people need to buy.

There are a lot of houses on the market at the moment, and a lot being sold unseen, just a video-link , very stupid, and often poor Broadband. How many of these are being sold again because people wish to return to where they came from???

I live in the middle of a beautiful valley and often do not see anyone from day to day, apart from DH (45 Years) and sometimes the POSTMAN!! We love it!

sodapop Tue 08-Jun-21 14:22:47

I'm very happy where I am handbaghoarder they can keep their big houses and staff what say you. smile

maddyone Tue 08-Jun-21 14:26:49

Like others I wonder what people in their late sixties think it will be like to live in a large house, isolated from pretty much everything, and miles away from their family. They seem to me to have delusions of grandeur. Don’t they consider that as they age they will need doctors, possibly a hospital, a local shop which is well stocked, buses when they eventually can’t drive, and a gardener and cleaner to look after their large properties. And as for looking after horses, pigs, chickens, goats, and other menageries of animals, all as they advance into their seventies and eighties, I’m left speechless by the insanity of it all.