Gransnet forums

Chat

Fashion help please

(10 Posts)
stardust123 Sun 13-Jun-21 09:46:37

Hi I am under weight (which I am working on) but looking for any tips to help me look better, I am way to skinny for skinny jeans and leggings. I have a few jumpsuits that are not to bad but want some other things to wear. I always feel that I don't look good in anything just ok in some stuff. I am 5ft 7 any help much appreciated.

Poppyred Sun 13-Jun-21 10:14:18

How lovely to be tall and slim! Maxi dresses are back in fashion and look fabulous on tall women. Also palazzio (not sure of the spelling) pants look good.

What are you wearing at the moment? I suppose it comes down to what you feel comfortable in.

ExD Sun 13-Jun-21 10:36:39

By 'fashion' help do you mean 'going out' clothes?
I suppose you need to cover your arms and the top of your legs, but need to create an illusion of a bust and hips. Do you need to cover a stringy neck, and do your collar bones stick out?
Margot Fonteyn managed to look elegant and beautiful as she aged although she was shorter than you, but look at photos of her and see what looks Good and what doesn't. Sometimes she looked really hagged and very much like a whitch so work out if that outfit would do the same for you.
Also some photos of Diana at her thinnest can give some pointers, she always looked good.
I' e lost weight, through illness, but am managing to gain some now. Full fat everything.
Take selfies and be really critical.

stardust123 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:05:56

Thanks, I just wear jeans and long sleeve blouses mostly. Never heared of palazzio pants I will have a google, thank you x

stardust123 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:09:39

Both really would like to look nice in the day time too, I don't show my legs at all to embarrassed, yes my collar bone sticks out but I did wear a bardoc jumpsuit and felt ok in that. I will take your advice and look at the pictures thank you

H1954 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:12:55

I'm the opposite, I'm only 5 feet tall and due to lockdown I'm carrying a bit of weight. Problem is, I've been invited out in July and need to think about an outfit suitable for afternoon tea and then a few drinks into the evening. I do t want to look like mutton dressed as lamb nor do I want to look like a sack of spuds.
Any suggestions please would be gratefully received.

stardust123 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:19:28

Awww sorry I can't really help you I have never had that problem in my life but I do always think people over weight look nice, where as tall and skinny just makes you look ill. I think they say horizontal stripes make you look thinner and maybe something black. Good luck in finding a outfit you feel comfortable in x

stardust123 Sun 13-Jun-21 11:38:22

stardust123

Awww sorry I can't really help you I have never had that problem in my life but I do always think people over weight look nice, where as tall and skinny just makes you look ill. I think they say horizontal stripes make you look thinner and maybe something black. Good luck in finding a outfit you feel comfortable in x

sorry meant to say vertical stripes

Blossoming Sun 13-Jun-21 11:43:10

Naomi Campbell, Jodie Kidd, the Duchess of Cambridge, all tall, thin and absolute knockouts. Have a look at some of the outfits the Duchess wears for inspiration. Leggings or skinnies with a thigh skimming tunic could look good, some accessories such as a bright scarf or statement necklace.

Redhead56 Sun 13-Jun-21 15:59:40

Midi or long flowing skirts with tops with sleeves will give impression of a bit more weight. If you like dresses there are some lovely feminine florals for summer Joe Browns. I think they really suit any age or shape apart from tight fitting ones.