Gransnet forums

Chat

Some of you may remember Stephen

(179 Posts)
BlueBelle Wed 16-Jun-21 14:00:58

Well this morning at 4 am I heard the familiar squeak squeak of a baby seagull I thought oh dear a baby s on the flat roof again, I hope the mum knows and I went back to sleep when I got up at 7 I could still hear a muffled squeak and opened the chimney trap door and could see a very very young seagull on the little ledge above… so arm in and popped her out into the bedroom Shes much smaller than Stephen and I was really worried she wouldn’t be old enough to feed herself I put her in the garden with some sardines and water and mum was circling around above screening at me I was hoping she’d come down and get her or at least feed her
When I came back from work just now she was making a big old racket and all the sardines had gone so I thought either mums been down or she is able to feed herself
I put some more water and sardines out and waited… she was making a lot of noise, suddenly it went quiet I had a peep and she was eating away at the sardines
With a bit of luck she ll stay with me and the sardines until she can fly away in about 8 weeks time
Anyway meet Sybil
Could it be Stephens offspring ?

BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 19:26:04

Her mum on the chimney watching and you can almost hear her tutting saying
‘don’t go so close to the edge I m not telling you again’

Aldom Sun 25-Jul-21 19:17:54

Good luck Sybil. Looks like you may be saving the sardines till next year BlueBelle. Another successful foster mothering complete. smileflowers

BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 16:31:58

Go Sybil go

BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 16:30:49

Yesterday Sybil ( or sibling) just walked down the path and onto the street and like Forest Gump kept on going She didn’t come back for any food last night or this morning I thought she had lost her way
This afternoon I have heard her calling nearby I ve been out two or three times looking up and down the street to no avail and just now I heard her again and looked up
I m 100% certain this is her on my roof

MissAdventure Sat 24-Jul-21 19:14:14

You'll be getting reviews on trip advisor soon, BlueBelle.
Child friendly, with a minding service, good wholesome meals, and a paddling pool. smile

BlueBelle Sat 24-Jul-21 19:11:29

You’re right and her tail which you can’t see there is getting longer so I think she ll take a maiden voyage very soon
I hope she stays a few more days as I ve just stocked up with half a dozen Asda special sardines ?

SueDonim Sat 24-Jul-21 18:01:29

She’s growing!

MissAdventure Sat 24-Jul-21 16:54:04

smile

seacliff Sat 24-Jul-21 16:37:37

Great photo

JaneJudge Sat 24-Jul-21 16:16:52

aww isn't she lovely smile

BlueBelle Sat 24-Jul-21 13:39:59

So much for threads this has now gone under the Moooo setting although I only poster on it an hour ago Come on HQ why have you moooooved it ?

BlueBelle Sat 24-Jul-21 12:51:08

A girls got to keep her feet cool in this weather

SueDonim Sat 24-Jul-21 02:03:32

Thought of you

SueDonim Sat 24-Jul-21 02:03:06

Your local Coop will be wondering about your own diet, Bluebell! Or do you say each time you go in ‘Just buying some more sardines for my pet seagull!’ grin

I thought of today, as we were at a stately home where the car park was full of teenage rooks and crows, half feathered and half fluff, begging for food from visitors. Also, a male peacock with no tail feathers. It was all action there, I can tell you!

Callistemon Fri 23-Jul-21 21:22:19

Nannan2

Callistemon- ? Crab sandwiches??

It wasn't funny at the time, Nannan2

I nearly got scalped!

Aldom Fri 23-Jul-21 21:20:44

Sandwich, blame the phone!

Aldom Fri 23-Jul-21 21:19:31

Lovely photos of lucky Sybil. Hope she manages to keep out of harms way until she is able to fly. You are doing a great job BlueBelle. flowerscupcake I've sent cake for Sybil, as there are no crab sandwiche emojis grin

Whitewavemark2 Fri 23-Jul-21 15:49:15

Next doors cat was sat on the shed roof yesterday morning, and I threw the usual breakfast up for mum and dad seagull. They flew down ignoring the cat whose eyes nearly popped out of his head! I guess the seagull being such big powerful birds have no fears.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Jul-21 15:26:59

I can’t Shandy we have no fish shop left in the town

BlueBelle Fri 23-Jul-21 15:26:13

I tried both last year with Stephen nana and it was definitely the tomato sauce sardines that were wolfed down they aren’t so keen on pilchards or cat food ( which is another thing that can be given) and it’s only for a short time they can get back to their proper diet as soon as they are up and away I just want to be sure they are fed as they can’t tell me ??? and keep it as cheap as possible

Shandy57 Fri 23-Jul-21 15:25:33

Can you get whitebait Bluebelle? That's the normal go to here for rescue puffins and I know seagulls steal them from them.

BlueBelle Fri 23-Jul-21 15:18:13

Yes trisher we had a man patrolling the streets with a sparrow hawk on his shoulder ( intended to frighten the gulls away) totally pointless and waste of money as they just return when the big bird has gone and one day I watched the sparrow hawk and a seagull sitting at opposite ends of WHS roofs looking at each other, it’s not a very wide shop just window and double doors I thought it was so funny

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 15:15:36

BlueBelle- how about plain pilchards i.e not in tomato sauce?

Nannan2 Fri 23-Jul-21 15:14:00

Callistemon- ? Crab sandwiches??

trisher Fri 23-Jul-21 15:12:40

Love these posts. There are seagulls on the roofs near me but too many cats around, so I wouldn't hold much hope if one fell off. One house is flying a hawk shaped kite from the roof. I don't know if this is intended to keep them away, but one was sitting on the chimney pot next door to it yesterday.