Gransnet forums

Chat

Friend with terminal illness - what to do.

(23 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 17-Jun-21 09:44:50

A friend of ours has been ill for about a year with back problems. He has had an operation and whilst he no longer had any pain he grew weaker. This week he was diagnosed with Motor Neuron Disease. We live in France and have known the couple for about 11 years. They were very supportive when my OH was living in the holiday home of mutual friends whilst building of our house was completed. Since then I guess we've met up with them every 3 or 4 weeks. We live about 1 1/2 hours away. I've given this info because it may help your response. Obviously with the covid restrictions we have seen very little of them, because of the distance.

We will do whatever we can but it's knowing what to do. His wife suggested that I look at the MTD website which explained life expectancy for people with that illness. At the moment her sister is staying with them - at least until the beginning of July and one of their sons is coming over in August.

I said that we'd come over and visit (obviously not when their family are with them) but my question is how to know whether that is a good idea? We saw then about 4 weeks ago and in himself he was quite cheerful. He talked openly about his health and motability problems. His wife said that after his diagnosis this week he seemed accepting of it and reasonably cheerful. He wasn't depressed.

I've been trying to put myself into his shoes and asked myself whether I'd like to see friends or just to be left alone. I have no answer to that question because I'm not in his situation.

What would you do?

GrannyGravy13 Thu 17-Jun-21 09:49:05

I would ring and ask is it ok if we pop in to see you both?

Whilst your friend is talking and relatively mobile he may want to see folks and live as normally as possible.

MND is a very cruel disease especially towards the end, make the most of the time you have with your friend.

JaneJudge Thu 17-Jun-21 09:53:12

I'm sorry to hear this sad flowers I think you need to just ask if they would like visitors and accept what they decide either way. You don't have to stay away if they haven't told you to.

B9exchange Thu 17-Jun-21 09:53:54

*GG13 is right, ring up and ask if they would like a visit, what would be a good length of time if so, and say that you expect them to throw you out if they get tired. It is a terrible situation and everyone will react differently, but if it were me, I would want to see as many friends as I could cope with, and I wouldn't want anyone tiptoeing around the diagnosis.

NotSpaghetti Thu 17-Jun-21 09:58:44

I would see if they mind you popping up for an afternoon. You don't need to stay.

Peasblossom Thu 17-Jun-21 09:59:04

My husband most appreciated the friends who just carried on as normal. Came over to watch the football, rang about work problems, continued to share the hobby.

After explaining the diagnosis he didn’t want to discuss it any more or talk about it’s progress. He found people who did a bit of a bore.

His least favourite people were the ones who just ‘left him alone’. Like he’d already passed out of their lives.

Deedaa Thu 17-Jun-21 09:59:07

I would ask his wife. If there are any problems with him having visitors it will be her that has to cope with them.

MND can be very lonely. DD had a work colleague who developed it. He lived alone and in the end was reduced to emailing ex colleagues asking for food because he had none. I think they eventually managed to have him moved to a hospice but it's grim without family and friends.

jusnoneed Thu 17-Jun-21 10:05:25

There has been a fair amount of publicity about MND on the BBC because of three sportsmen who are all affected. They have become great friends and support each other. Watching items about them they all seem to say keeping in touch with people has helped not only themselves but their families.

I would want people to visit and would certainly go to see a friend in similar situation. As suggested just give a call and ask if it's ok to visit as obviously he will have good days and bad days.

Savvy Thu 17-Jun-21 10:09:49

You need to be lead by what they want to do, and remember that it can change daily.

As others have said, phone before going to see them so they have the option of declining a visit. Some days will be worse than others so if they say 'not today' don't take it that that means tomorrow will be a no as well.

ExD Thu 17-Jun-21 10:11:28

I agree with*B9*, phone or message/text asking what would be a convenient time to come and visit. It's difficult to be 'normal' when you know someone's dying, but he's not dying yet so after saying how sad you are to hear the news, leave the subject alone unless he wants to discuss it at length.
A friend of mine's father liked nothing better than to tell us all the possible scenarios of the future progress of the disease. It was very hard to listen to him listing every possible horrendous outcome time and time again, the same old conversation. The exact same words, over and over.
If we changed the subject he'd return to it.
For some reason it seemed to give him comfort.
So listen.

annodomini Thu 17-Jun-21 10:13:59

Please just continue to be friends as you have been all along. Your friend has the most shocking diagnosis from which there is no escape, but I'm sure he will want to live as normally as possible for as long as possible. While he can still speak intelligibly, he will enjoy chatting with you and other friends. I know from sad experience - I lost my dear sister to this evil disease - hat he will appreciate your visiting not just because he is ill but because he and his wife are your friends.

kittylester Thu 17-Jun-21 10:34:55

Good post anno flowers

Not wishing to hijack your thread I thought you might like to see the YouTube channel started by our young friend (he was 38 when diagnosed with MND) He and his wife are inspirational.

m.youtube.com/channel/UCXbFt6OVRCUm7t1JOv-l1og

Dinahmo Thu 17-Jun-21 14:25:19

Thank you all for your responses. I looked at some of Sam's Youtube entries and you're right. They are inspirational.

Cabbie21 Thu 17-Jun-21 14:52:08

My husband’s cousin had MND. I couldn’t understand why DH didn’t make the effort to go and see him whilst he was still able to enjoy a visit. Do go whilst you can, checking first of course.

Shelflife Thu 17-Jun-21 16:10:07

Yes , I agree with people on this thread . Ask first , if you get the go ahead don't miss the opportunity. If he is having a bad day he will let you know and you can visit another time. I would suggest you chat as you have always done , be relaxed ! If he opens up about his condition all you really need to do is listen . He may simply just want to talk. Or he may prefer not to discuss what is happening. Let him set the agenda and go with the flow.

Hithere Thu 17-Jun-21 16:26:25

I would ask the couple.

There is no universal way to procede, it is case by case basis

You also do not fully know how this is impacting them - their public face (cheerful) is only a glimpse in time and begins closed doors, a different story could be going on.

Hithere Thu 17-Jun-21 16:29:58

Behinds closed doors, not begins

Judy54 Fri 18-Jun-21 14:34:05

Yes I would definitely ask them what they would like and if your friend is up to visitors. You sound like a good caring person and I am sure your friends would appreciate this. When my Husband had cancer one friend was very pushy and said (did not ask) that she and her Partner were coming to visit from some miles away and fully expected to stay with us. This was before he had started treatment and before he had even seen family members, she certainly had a sense of entitlement. We thanked them for their concern and said whilst visits were not possible at this stage, we would keep them informed and looked forward to seeing them as as soon as we felt able to do so.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 18-Jun-21 15:28:34

Certainly ring and ask if you may pop in for a visit.

If you speak to his wife rather than to himself, you could ask her to give you a hint if she can see your visit is tiring him.

When my sister was told she had terminal cancer, I told her I was ready to listen if or when there were things she could not bring herself to discuss with her adult children and that I would do what I could to help.

If you can cope with helping, tell the wife that she is welcome to phone if she needs help at any time. Then check in from time to time to see whether she does need any help.

Savvy Fri 18-Jun-21 17:34:06

When my friend was diagnosed with terminal cancer, there were a lot of friends we never heard from again. The time you have left with your friend is now more precious than ever. Make the most of it, have a few laughs, be as supportive as you can, make some more great memories.

Redhead56 Fri 18-Jun-21 19:08:07

Just be yourself you have been friends long enough to know each other well. Your friends will be grateful for your visit and company and support as I am sure you will give lovingly.

V3ra Fri 18-Jun-21 21:55:33

My friend's son had cancer and she spent a lot of time in hospital with him. We fell into a routine of me phoning her every Sunday evening. I offered and she agreed.
We'd talk about whatever she needed or wanted to and for as long as she wanted to.
Thankfully her son recovered, but she said later that among all the horrors and uncertainty they went through, my phone calls were an anchor point to her week.

V3ra Fri 18-Jun-21 22:02:23

Sorry if that sounds a bit big-headed ?
I think if we'd arranged that she could phone me if she wanted to, it maybe wouldn't have happened? She had enough other stuff to think about and organise.
So don't be pushy, but do volunteer.