Gransnet forums

Chat

How would you have reacted?

(56 Posts)
nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 07:59:59

70th birthday. Husband smiling said There's another present in the kitchen. I walked in and there stood my son and partner whom I haven't seen for 3 years and my daughter whom I hadn't seen 18 months. Everything suddenly seemed unreal and I cried for a few minutes. Husband had to get me a drink. I was almost trembling. It was such a shock. I feel so stupid now for behaving like that. Why did I not just snile and say What a wonderful surprise!

Kalu Wed 23-Jun-21 09:48:36

It was indeed a wonderful surprise*nadateturbe*. Perfectly natural response. I have been known to cry for more than a few minutes when DD2 and SiL arrive from Australia.

Happy 70th birthday and many more returns. Well done to your lovely DH.

Newatthis Wed 23-Jun-21 09:34:28

Meant to say ‘Mum’

Newatthis Wed 23-Jun-21 09:31:49

Because you are a month. Many of us haven’t seen our children in many many months, in my case 18 months, and I for sure will react exactly the same when I see mine. Have a wonderful 70th year.

V3ra Wed 23-Jun-21 07:30:07

The best birthday present! ?
How thoughtful of them all to spring their surprise on you at home, where you could react to your heart's content and not feel embarrassed in public ?

nadateturbe Wed 23-Jun-21 07:17:10

Thanks again ladies.
I didn't know that about Cancerians FannyCornforth. Family is all important to me.

FannyCornforth Wed 23-Jun-21 07:11:19

Hello nadateturbe
I've only just seen your thread.
What wonderful news, I'm so happy for you! ❤️
I notice that you are Cancerian, meaning that family is all important to you.
I hope that you had a fabulous birthday, and wishing you a very, very happy year ahead ?️?

grannyactivist Tue 22-Jun-21 21:34:39

Oh my gosh - I can’t imagine a better reason to be overcome with emotion. Happy Birthday indeed! ?

Mattsmum2 Tue 22-Jun-21 21:22:08

What a wonderful surprise and understandable reaction. On my 50th my daughter was living in Germany. My mum flew her back to join in the celebrations and I was equally overcome with tears xxx

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 20:35:24

Thanks Madgran. I worried in case I had spoilt it for them and maybe should have controlled my feelings better. I'm glad to hear others would have done the same.

Madgran77 Tue 22-Jun-21 18:13:27

Fantastic surprise and why worry about how you reacted. I would have cried my eyes out in your circumstances ...with happiness, relief and shock!

Nannagarra Tue 22-Jun-21 16:54:43

nadateturbe

Lovely comments. Sorry I can't teply personally to all.
That was exciting Lucca.

Nannagarra Nade te turbe means Let nothing disturb you.
It was a favourite piece of Taize music at Circle Dance. We used it for a slow meditational dance to finish our session.

Thanks. I like to learn. ?

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 16:47:00

Thanks Wellbeck. Beautiful words.

welbeck Tue 22-Jun-21 16:08:16

Nannagarra

How perfectly wonderful! Happy birthday, nadateturbe. I’ve often wondered about your user name - if it’s no date to be, this certainly was a key date for you seeing your DS, DD and his partner after such a long time.

i thought it was,
let nothing disturb thee,
the beginning of a prayer, if i remember correctly.
let nothing disturb thee, nothing afright thee,
all things are passing,
God never changeth;
patient endurance obtaineth to all things,
whom God possesseth in nothing is wanting,
alone God sufficeth.
pati

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 15:55:57

Lovely comments. Sorry I can't teply personally to all.
That was exciting Lucca.

Nannagarra Nade te turbe means Let nothing disturb you.
It was a favourite piece of Taize music at Circle Dance. We used it for a slow meditational dance to finish our session.

GillT57 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:42:06

How lovely, I would have been the same! Happy birthday flowers wine

Kim19 Tue 22-Jun-21 14:28:09

The joy of genuine and spontaneous emotion. Beautiful. Do surprises get better than that? Don't think so. I'm even a big bit envious.

Nannagarra Tue 22-Jun-21 14:22:00

How perfectly wonderful! Happy birthday, nadateturbe. I’ve often wondered about your user name - if it’s no date to be, this certainly was a key date for you seeing your DS, DD and his partner after such a long time.

Lucca Tue 22-Jun-21 14:00:47

How lovely !

I turned up unannounced at my sons 40th birthday celebration…..in Sydney. So exciting !

merlotgran Tue 22-Jun-21 13:21:46

What a wonderful surprise. If you’d been watching it on the telly you’d have been reaching for the Kleenex.

Happy Birthday.

nadateturbe Tue 22-Jun-21 13:21:14

I'm almost in tears at all your lovely comments. Thank you all so much.

SueDonim hilarious!
Luckygirl yes, I was very touched. My children have lived in England for a long time before I met my second husband and it was lovely that he felt close enough to them to arrange this.
Fingers crossed for you for July Sarnia.

sharon103 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:13:54

The best present you could wish for.
Have a wonderful birthday flowers

Hithere Tue 22-Jun-21 13:03:58

Given the current circumstances, it is more than understandable how you reacted.

How thoughtful!

Sarnia Tue 22-Jun-21 12:53:42

If, fingers crossed, I get to see my daughter in July, I hope Wakefield station will have alerted the coastguard.

Purplepixie Tue 22-Jun-21 12:48:48

Happy birthday and many more to come. I would have been just the same. Enjoy the day! wine

Jane43 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:40:47

That’s the best present you could have received, your reaction was only natural. I’m sure you all enjoyed your time together.