Gransnet forums

Chat

Any gransnetter suffered anorexia regard themselves as fully recovered?

(10 Posts)
watermeadow Wed 23-Jun-21 18:06:44

This is so sad. I have a granddaughter who developed anorexia last year, due to lockdown. She was just thirteen. She had swift treatment thanks to living in London and is now very much better but I wonder what the future holds for this beautiful child?

Sago Tue 22-Jun-21 20:16:44

Bbbface Yes it was anorexia, I would flit between not eating or binge and vomit.
I loved the feeling of being hungry, the more my stomach groaned the better I felt.
It was control for me and it was how I coped with abuse.

Hi There no message arrived.

muffinthemoo Tue 22-Jun-21 18:09:33

In treatment for many years since I was a youngster myself.

Change - or at least, some level of respite and recovery - is possible. It is very difficult and it involves a lot of therapeutic work and strong personal accountability.

Wishing you every success and love and light to you. You aren’t alone.

Hithere Tue 22-Jun-21 18:04:15

Sent you a private message

Bbbface Tue 22-Jun-21 17:35:28

Was it anorexia you had?

Sago Tue 22-Jun-21 16:33:10

Hi there, I had a dreadful relationship with food for many years.

My mother was a narc and my father was an abusive bully.

Mealtimes were like going into the lions den, I was picked on, demeaned, cross examined on the minutiae of my day added to which my mother resented buying and cooking food for me to eat.

When I became a mother and wife, I made a conscious effort to prepare lovely food and make mealtimes happy and inclusive, gradually I got better and better as food became something that bonded our family, I am now a happy 12/14 and have only once in 30+ years wavered.

My Father died 27 years ago and my Mother 1 year ago, every day I am on this earth and they are not makes me feel stronger and stronger.

I hope you find a way as I did.

Hithere Tue 22-Jun-21 14:32:41

Bbbface

Some conditions need professional attention, this is one of them.

I wish you the best and we are here to listen

Bbbface Tue 22-Jun-21 13:30:52

Thank you for kindness

Yes I’m at risk of osteoporosis. I have been on hrt patches for two years now to help with the risk

Kali2 Tue 22-Jun-21 13:26:49

I am so so sorry to hear and hope you find help and support.

I was always slim but muscly until my early 50s- but my thyroid gave up, this was not diagnosed, and I started to put weight on and I was very upset about this.

However, 20 years later, I am still chubby, but muscly and strong- and I find that most of my very very slim friends who have not eaten any fats for decades, suffer from severe osteoporosis. One had a bad accident in March, breaking several bones due to this- and her leg is not healing and she has to have another operation to try and save her leg.

Do you smoke too? As it is a massive added factor with osteoporosis. Are ou getting treatment for this?

And of course to help you overcome anorexia. Please seek help and support x

Bbbface Tue 22-Jun-21 13:18:56

I’m not a gran. 40 year old mother of two who has suffered from anorexia for…many years.

I eat regularly but almost devoid of fat and consequently i am very underweight.

I have physically suffered for it (thyroid issues, brittle bones etc).

I’m determined not to be so obsessed with low fat eating and put it on weight but it is so hard, but I have been trying for years and little progress.

Is it even possible?

Thank you