Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(54 Posts)
Michael12 Wed 23-Jun-21 06:05:08

Good Morning Everyone,
Its bright and sunny here in brackley even at this early hour .
Today ,small shop this morning , before a quiet day in.
Looking forward to watching the Tour de France with 10 brits in the field , could be an interesting race this year.
Take Care,
Mick

Jaxjacky Wed 23-Jun-21 12:00:45

So much happening as I typed my earlier post and subsequently…Harrigran thank goodness your DH was treated properly, at last. GrannySomerset glad setting the ball rolling means things are happening, well done you. B9 and Marydoll well done those girls for their achievements, especially this year.
Beautiful pictures again from all, they really do paint a thousand words. Thank you.

Grandmafrench Wed 23-Jun-21 11:47:14

Good Morning from Hot & Blue ??. So hot yesterday that my bare feet got a shock when I walked out on the terrace to test the pool water! Lovely breeze, though, so - apart from having to run amok amongst the plants with the hose pipe, we're not complaining.

Running very late today, so probably tail-end-Charlie on this thread. So pleased that someone with a brain cell finally tended to your poor DH's infection, Harri . And that you're getting help organised, GrannyS. Chew Reservoir was where lots of fun fishing used to take place when I was young.
Wearing your very brave and uncomplaining, let's-get-on-with-it hat, Auntieflo ? Do hope that you feel better and stronger this week. x
I'm really sad you're not posting any more, Cherry. Hoping that your Tigger Turns will occur more than the awful seizures and that life will improve over the summer. Miss you, is I all can say, and grateful thanks for all the lifting of spirits that your attitude inspired during this last unpleasant year. x

muse We both take Turmeric every single day and that, together with Glucosamine & Chondroitin (HealthSpan), has made such an improvement to our spines and general creakiness that I wouldn't be without it now. If it weren't for my wretched ankle (to be sorted in a couple of weeks) and DH's recent knee problem, (much improved since the treatment a couple of days ago), I would have to say that (touch everything wooden) we're not too bad considering the limitations put on us by lockdown.

Love your DH's attitude to the wild life. However, if he's going to be out along attempting frog rescue in pitch darkness over a very deep abyss, maybe you need to have something bigger than a sieve on a pole on standby - for when he needs rescuing?

Pretty flower photos this morning. Love your roses, Laura. My DH has made lots of lovely planters from unwanted pallets. One cat loves them because she can gouge tram lines on them when she feels in the mood! Since they're unpainted, there's not much harm done. Must admit there have been times in the last 15 months when I've felt I could make use of something similar!!!!

Whatever you're up to - or not - today, have a really good Wednesday. May your spirits soar, your energy levels rise, your smiles be abundant and all be (mostly) well in your world. Are you resting, B9? The festive season will be upon you before you know it.

Where are you EV?

And to Ali in Cornwall - now you have that whole gang of bad birdies on your bookcase, can you explain the absence of THE FLAMINGO ?‍♀️????

Nannagarra Wed 23-Jun-21 11:19:40

Good morning from the Sefton coast where there is cloud but no rain (surprise, surprise).
My goodness, it’s very busy on this thread today. I share the sentiments of others about Mrharri receiving treatment. May he soon start to feel more comfortable. Have a gentle and enjoyable day Auntieflo. If you’re reading, Cherry, add my name to the list of people who will miss you.
Gold stars are due to B9 and Marydoll’s DGDs. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
A PhD in husband management? ‘Mumbling’ rather than ‘loss of hearing’? Tell me about it! Marydoll’s novellas often make me smile in recognition.
Not a lot on my agenda today. Hold onto that flamingo, amigos!

LauraNorder Wed 23-Jun-21 10:40:24

Good morning from Anglesey, where it is pouring down yey!! Lovely glorious wet wet rain.
I have spent hours each evening watering hundreds of new plants and patches of newly seeeded grass. Day off today so thank you heavens.
Pic of my favourite rose bought for me for my 70th birthday last year called ‘birthday wishes’.
The other pic is one of the planters we made from leftover battens which we used to make new fencing.
Sorry to hear that Cherry won’t be posting anymore. If you’re reading Cherry, I wish you all the very best and hope it’s cheerio for now and not goodbye.
Nice to see you posting Auntyflo and hope the treatment is not too gruelling.
Glad MrH has finally got his tooth sorted out Harrigran, good on that oncologist for pulling the right strings.
Take care everyone, one day at a time, enjoy today. ?

Marydoll Wed 23-Jun-21 10:10:16

B9, I'm extremely impressed! No wonder you are so proud, especially given the circumstances in the last year.
What an achievement! Well done that girl! ?

I got a quick response from my GP after sending photos. That's my ideal consultation, no need to leave the house! Prescription to pharmacy, which I will pick up later and combine that with a trip to DS2 with DH's motherboard. So much for a quiet day!

Harri, your poor husband. I'm so glad he eventually received the help he desperately needed. Shocking treatment.

Onward and upward!

dustyangel Wed 23-Jun-21 10:09:46

Good morning everyone from a sunny and still Algarve. The wind might blow up later but for the moment it is so still and quiet.

I’m experiencing big problems with my iPad. I don’t know what their lifespan usually is but I do hope that I don’t have to replace this . Does anyone know if they usually get “sticky” after a while?

I will try to catch up with everyone’s news before we head off to the techno shop.

grandMattie Wed 23-Jun-21 09:53:25

baubles, I call those “anthuriums”. My aunt and my godmother used to have commercial plantations in my native Mauritius when I was young. We didn’t like the flowers much as they lasted for a month or more as cut flowers...

B9exchange Wed 23-Jun-21 09:42:48

Good morning from SWHerts, we have sun! Harri I am consumed with anger at what your poor DH had to go through, you should complain loudly to PALS, thank goodness his oncologist finally took charge.

Your mention of Dollie's excellent report Marydoll will perhaps permit me to do a bit of grandparent boasting too. Our nearly 16 eldest GD has had her Scottish exam results, all A*s except for an A in maths, I am so proud of her achievements. That poor girl has been moved around so often, including 3 years in Spain having to learn a new language, and she only came back to the UK (Scotland this time) last September.

I had better get on with tidying the house, have an old hospice colleague turning up for coffee, and the living room hasn't recovered from the influx at the weekend. I did manage to make her a date and walnut loaf last night, which I have hidden from DH and the cats. One of them is very partial to a piece of cake and doesn't wait to be asked. Come to think of it, exactly the same as DH!

Hope you all have at least one random pink flamingo popping in today!

aggie Wed 23-Jun-21 09:41:13

Good Morning all, it’s raining lovely soft wet rain !

Auntieflo Wed 23-Jun-21 09:41:06

Good morning to Mick, Annie and all, from a bright, sunny but a slightly chilly bit of Berks.

Harrigran, so glad to hear that your DH finally got sorted , so hope he will soon be on the mend.

I was at the Chemo suite yesterday having my infusion and being given my next lot of tablets.
Today is an 'empty', so want to summon up some energy to actually do something, as I have become a real house mouse lately. So, everybody, concentrate and send me a kick up the rear, please!

Marydoll, I honestly don't know how you do it, all the alarums and excursions that beset you, but don't stop, they brighten up our day. But you had better rest today.

Lovely photo Elizabeth1, looks like a good lunch.
Also a fine show of begonias and geraniums Grandmattie, I'm glad you meant attaching and not attacking, as I wondered what they had done, apart from being beautiful.

To Cherry, if she pops in; sorry to see you go, and I shall miss you, but come back if you are able. Good luck and best wishes to you.

Off to sort myself out now, so have a good day one and all.

Blossoming Wed 23-Jun-21 09:40:41

Good morning all from grey cloudy but still warm Lancashire. Good to read of people getting out and about, but sorry to hear of some health niggles. Nothing planned for today, I’m up, showered and dressed and shall just take things slowly. Yesterday was busy with admin, which does my head in. Sorting paperwork for the car handover tomorrow, transferring funds, new insurance, etc. Handover day is tomorrow and we’re all ready to go. Glad Mr Harrigran got the tooth and the infection sorted out. Lovely that you will have a visit from Dollie Marydoll, what an adventure you had in Asda!
Safe journey to all who are traveling today. Hope everyone finds some comfort and happiness today ?

hollysteers Wed 23-Jun-21 09:40:20

Good morning Mick and all from Cloudy Chambers, northwest Lancashire coast.
Off this afternoon to have my highlights reinstated. No more £1 box of brown dye from the Range. It’s too dark, but the DIY served me well through lockdown.
Will carry on moving my art stuff downstairs to the lower level garden room I call the green room. I only hope out of sight is not out of mind. It’s been very handy on the dining room table.
The optician phoned to say that only one pack of my contacts had arrived, the left eye. It’s a mess, such a long wait. Have done it online but it’s a complicated prescription.
I will miss Cherry and thoughts to harrigran and anyone worried in any way.

Pittcity Wed 23-Jun-21 09:21:28

An A Level grannysomerset?
I think we'd qualify for PhD at least!!!

GrannySomerset Wed 23-Jun-21 09:14:06

Good morning from a sunny Chew Valley where I am about to embark on getting DH up, washed, dressed and shaved and ready to face the day. I am going to meet a couple of friends in the village for a cup of coffee and am ridiculously excited at the prospect.

Love Marydoll’s tale of the gooseberry bush that wasn’t and share her perplexity at how complicated life seems to have become. I wish her joy at getting MrM to have his hearing tested and adjusted. Doesn’t she know it’s her fault for mumbling?

We are making progress with finding some support which, since DH knows he doesn’t need it, I am selling as help for me. We won’t start until the stair lift is in place in another three or four weeks, so there is time for him to get used to the idea. I think there should be an A level in husband management.

muse Wed 23-Jun-21 09:11:01

Beautiful photograph Baubles. I'd frame that one.

Don't mention the dreaded weed word Jax. I've put off doing the strawberry bed in the polytunnel. I've left the doors open now to cool it down. I'll keep popping in and doing it in small doses. Being very careful with the hip. Wish you lived close. I have a dozen little strawberry plants in pots wondering what to do with themselves. They were left over when I relaid the bed earlier this year..

joyce6135 . We've got some Cornish sunshine for the next few days but light showers are creeping in. Cornwall's forecast changes by the hour though. Hope it stays fine for you.

Anniebach Wed 23-Jun-21 08:46:07

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

joyce6135 Wed 23-Jun-21 08:43:58

Good Morning, well after 16months at home I am today travelling to Cornwall with a relative for a 40th Birthday, slightly anxious but got to start somewhere! Hope the good weather holds, at least I’m not driving. Will be back to read your posts later, a good distraction for an hour or so en route. 5 and a half hrs to get there, have a good day everyone.

Grandmajean Wed 23-Jun-21 08:41:41

Good morning from sunny Cheshire. Went for a long walk last night while DH watched the football . Met two good friends for a chat and cuppa in the garden yesterday. We meet up most weeks and put the world to rights !
Coming back later to read posts.
Have the best day possible.

Alygran Wed 23-Jun-21 08:36:08

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s sunny again.
Had a lovely day yesterday with friends in their garden, lunch, wine great chat.
Volunteering today, meeting a local building society about sponsorship and then some parents at a meet up in the park.
There’s ironing to do too.
I’m pleased the oncologist stepped in Harri. I had the same when my DH was ill too and A&E didn’t sort his infection properly (turned out to be MRSA from the site of a Hickman Line).
Wishing everyone a good day. Stay safe.

Sar53 Wed 23-Jun-21 08:34:13

Good morning from a dry, sunny Essex by the sea. A huge change from the beginning of the week.
How on earth do I follow Marydoll's novella !!!!!
DD1 now has two out of three daughters at home. The youngest was sick yesterday and had to be collected early from school.
Not much going on here today, I need to walk to the chemist to pick up our prescriptions and will probably go for a walk by the sea. DH will be at his boat as usual. We are hoping for a night away in it in July.
Lovely to hear about all your plans and meet ups.
Have a great Wednesday xxx

baubles Wed 23-Jun-21 08:27:54

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. We have rain but I’m hoping it will clear up, yesterday afternoon was glorious.

Photo of DDog in the field behind our house and my new Flamingo Flower plant.

Beautiful plant gM

Love the birds Alizarin but sorry to hear about your friend’s cafe. Another one of our local businesses has pulled down the shutters for good. It’s so sad.

Glad you had a good meet-up Elizabeth.

Supermarket delivery today then I’m going to crack on with a new shawl which I’ve started crocheting.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day, thinking of those who are finding life hard just now.

Marydoll Wed 23-Jun-21 08:21:04

Good morning all from a wet Glasgow, its also quite cool.

I planned to get up early, as need to phone my GP, but I'm very weary today, so a bit late getting up!
It looks as if I have cellulitis in my leg, I've had it before and that's not good for someone who has all my health problems.
It may involve antibiotics, which means I can't have my RA injections and my forthcoming osteoporosis infusion. The last time it happened, I was in Rome and my angiogram had to be cancelled when I got home. Oh bu**eration!!!!!!

Yesterday, we did manage to get out composter and all those other things, we didn't actually need!!
A quick visit to Asda was required prior to that, where I also wanted to pick up a gooseberry bush. The one I got for £1.75 a few years ago is flourishing, so cheapskate that I am, I thought I wouldn't bother with the garden centre and pick up another one there.

There was a huge display outside, so because I'm vertically challenged, I asked DH to pick one. Inside we trotted and had the usual palaver of DH blocking everyone's way, while I got a self scanner handset. Its safer for me to do that Covidwise and safer for footering DH, who I always want to divorce at the checkout!

Thinking that it would be a sensible idea to train show DH how to use the self scanner, was not the best of ideas. How hard is it to point a gun at something someone???
He showed me the scan and instead of gooseberry it said GRAPE VINE!!!
As he tried to unscan it, and I worked out how to take it back outside and replace it, without being stopped for shoplifting, my phone rang, I dropped my walking stick, DH was oblivious to the fact that I couldn't answer the phone, whilst holding a blooming vine bush and wearing a mask, so a few expletives were aimed in the direction of he, who shall remain nameless.

It was the blind man, ( there's a joke in there somewhere) with the quote for the conservatory blinds. Taken aback at the quote, I was delighted to hear , it was half the price we had anticipated!!
I never got the gooseberry bush in the end, there were none! To top it all, I was selected for a random search of my trolley at the self scan checkout. My heart was in my mouth, not because I'm a shoplifter, but because I had left DH in charge of the scanner, as part of his induction course! ?

Having mislaid two pairs of black leggings, (I'm sure DH has them, he has previous, but denies everything), I ran in to Matalan to pick up a pair and came out into the hot sunshine, carrying a faux fur coat( which I certainly don't need), reduced to £12!!!!
On getting back to the car, where DH was impatiently waiting, I noticed that the disabled space next to ours was blocked by a large, flat bed trolley. Who would be so thoughtless? I know who, MrMDoll. When he asked earlier, what he should to with it, I said Over there at B&M. You must remember he is in denial, about his poor hearing and had misheard. ?

I stomped off, foolishly pushing the trolley to the store, to make a point, but had to stop to get my breath back, only to here a voice shouting, What on earth are you doing?
It was my DIL!! She was shocked when she saw me struggling. I explained that it was all her fault, as she had tested DH's hearing and said it was fine!
That was two years ago, said she. He needs another test!

Due to me shielding and my son being difficult, she hasn't really seen me unwell, so it was maybe fortuitous.
She messaged later to say, she will bring Dollie down today after school closes for the last time for the holidays. I'm so excited!!
My wee Dollie has had an exceptional report card, all that Zooming during lockdown has paid off. I have been saving the I Need a New Bum book for this occasion! I can't wait to see her. #very proud gran and DH can't wait to see his wee pal.

I haven't read the posts yet, I'm killing time until the surgery opens, but will catch up later.

Sending my usual good wishes to all, but especially to those in sick bay.
Take care everyone, our numbers here are rising dramatically, I can see myself stuck back at home again.

Pittcity Wed 23-Jun-21 08:18:51

Good morning from sunny Colchester. The Summer is back from it's little break just in time for our regular Wednesday meetup.
The patio guy has no weather excuses today, if he turns up!
Love to all x

Gingster Wed 23-Jun-21 08:14:20

Good morning all from a sunny Essex. We left our seaside cottage in apple-pie order, as nephew and his wife will be having a week there from Saturday. It’s good to have visitors as the place gets a thorough clean and tidy. ?.

It’s lovely to be back amongst family and friends and all my clubs and activities , then we will be ready to go back to the coast in a few weeks, for some peace and quiet.

Today , little pooch has the groomers - next week it will be my turn.

We spent time in our small garden yesterday when we returned home. Very overgrown after three weeks away. DS1 had mowed the lawn but the shrubs needed a good trim. More to do today. It’s looking pretty though. ??.

Hope you all have a pleasant day.

muse Wed 23-Jun-21 08:09:54

Sunny Cornwall and not sure what today will bring. Groundwork pair arrive back. More digging to do
Chatting to a new kennel owner tonight. Recommended?
Harri. What a long wait at the hospital for DH. Glad the tooth / pain got sorted.

So many negative test results. Thank goodnesses. ??

Ali. I popped into Truro on my escape day yesterday. Shocked to see more shops closed. Sorry about your friend’s cafe.

Will return to read more news. Do hope we hear from missing ones today

????????