Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(55 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 24-Jun-21 06:07:45

Good Morning Everyone,
Its grey cloud above Brackley this morning, but its dry , hopefully sunshine later.
Today for myself, I have a chiropodist, this morning who visits me , then I will continue to do housework , and then get the bus to Bicester for my usual hour there .
later this afternoon I will watch the Tour De France team presentation, which will be based in Brest Region for the Grand Depart
Take Care,
Mick

Lillian40 Thu 24-Jun-21 13:39:17

Good afternoon everyone, its good to read how busy everyone is. I live in Weymouth, Dorset. Living here means we have to get our visits to the beach and everywhere else done before the big holidays arrive. My friends and I always travel inland for our days out in the summer as its not so crowded where we go. We have discovered some gorgeous villages, and small towns with so much history to explore. Sweet little cafe's, river walks, small museums. No crowds and so interesting. We agreed we have the best of both worlds. Its good everyone heads for the coast, it makes our holidays so much better, going into the country. Am I gloating. ha. ha.

Purplepixie Thu 24-Jun-21 11:52:42

Good morning from a very dull and cloudy East Midlands. Got the lawn cut before the rain arrives later.

EkwaNimitee Thu 24-Jun-21 11:29:57

Good morning Mick and everyone from a bright but cool Carlisle. I didn't have a restful night's sleep, I woke up twice feeling hypothermic under my summer duvet. I put extra layers on but still wasn't warming up so eventually it was down to the kitchen to make a mug of Horlicks. Eventually I got off to sleep but then slept in somewhat. Therefore it will be a quiet day today though I'm hoping to get out and plant another shrub rose.
Yesterday it was into town to look for a small sofa. There aren't a lot to choose from, the trend seems to be for huge ones. Just when, as the salesman remarked, houses are being built with smaller rooms. I didn't find exactly what I thought I wanted and was a bit shocked by prices...I haven't looked for one for years.
What a scary experience for all, Dwmxwg, you must all have been so relieved when he found his way back. It probably hasn't put him off going out for another walk though?
The best possible day to all, I'm going to start another bout of boring admin.

Mapleleaf Thu 24-Jun-21 11:10:40

Good morning everyone,

It's stopped raining now in South Yorkshire, and the sun is trying hard to break through, though it's a struggle. It feels very humid today, too.

What a worry for you, Dwmxwg, but so glad your Father turned up safely.

Your garden looks beautiful, GM and so do your roses and flamingo willow, BlueSapphire. I think this year has been particularly spectacular for blooms, I wonder if it's anything to do with the very cold snap, followed by all the rain?

Just having a coffee after Pilates, then off for a freshen up and hair wash before I do anything else.

Hope today goes well for you all.

LauraNorder Thu 24-Jun-21 10:36:53

Good morning from grey Anglesey. Twenty four hours of lovely rain and everywhere looks so fresh and green, time for some sunshine again now please.
My goodness Dwmxwg what an awful experience for you all, glad that all is well now.
That quiet time on a summer’s evening, watering the plants and taking time to let thoughts meander is priceless and will do you good Harrigran.
Wish we could hear some news from Grandmajet. Hope all is okay.
Hope today is a good day for everyone ?

Elizabeth1 Thu 24-Jun-21 10:18:46

Good morning all from another sunny day here on the east coast of Fife I’m later in posting this morning so much to do then my carer came in I had a shower, hair washed, breakfast, all tittivated up now ready to rock and roll

Yesterday was an absolute boiling afternoon being on the east coast brought a freshness with it so the heat wasn’t too uncomfortable thankfully not like my relatives south of the border where it’s terribly humid.

dwmxwg so sorry to hear you and your family had such an awful experience yesterday what a worry for you all. I can only imagine take care ??

hollysteers Thu 24-Jun-21 10:08:18

Good morning Mick and all from a dull northwest Lancashire coast. It’s good that you get out every day Mick.
Had my highlights done yesterday and it seems too blonde after the Romany look I have sported since lockdown but it’s softer as one ‘matures’? Then did a BIG shop at the wrong time as I was hungry (and hangry) so bought more goodies that I should.
Off for coffee with a friend now in her immaculate house which makes my own feel like a rubbish dump. She’s very practical too and I’m not, so if I need advice of that nature I turn to her. She will be wearing her bedroom slippers probably, very non U lol. So glad she’d not perfect.
Thoughts to harrigran Cherry and EV?
Will read through later.

Blossoming Thu 24-Jun-21 10:01:48

Good morning all from grey damp Lancashire. It’s busy in here today, lots going on! Just a flying visit from me, as we are collecting the new car today and going for a drive. I have skimmed, will read properly later.

muse Thu 24-Jun-21 09:52:02

Good morning morning people + Mick.

My bit of Cornwall is a little grey and soggy.

Main task today is to keep MrM's spirits up. He was late to bed and early to rise, getting the dumper sorted out. Machinery is fine whilst it's working? I will be shooting off soon to pick up more drainage parts and the hose needed for the dumper.

The new dog carer rang me last night and is looking forward to seeing Mya. She has a space next Friday but I have to take Mya first, on Monday, to be vetted.

I've cut three lots of material out but gave up trying to start the first top late last night. Put a new bulb in the sewing machine and it blew. Put the last one in I had and pop. That went too. MrM is a whiz at finding faults but I'll make do with daylight today to get some done. Dumper comes first.

Need to find some sun for when DD and DGD arrive on Saturday for 7 whole days.

Dwmxwg . What a scare for your mum and you. That's a long time. The police sound so helpful. I had the same thoughts as Grandmafrench with the phone. You can set them up to track. I remember meeting up with my daughter in Manchester years ago. She'd been tracking me as I wandered the streets trying to find the pub we were meeting in.

Hope those antibiotics soon take effect Harrigran. Take care.

MaggieTulliver. Thank you for the photo of Alfie. He's lovely.

You're so right with the growing speed outside now Grandmafrench. Weeds are knee high. Decided to cut all the grass again yesterday. I usually do it in two goes but rain/drizzle has been forecast for next few days.

Brook The easy of flying across the UK is brilliant. I'm hoping the flights start up again from Cornwall to Manchester. I used it a lot.

So pleased for your daughter Susan56. It's a hard but very rewarding profession.

Lovely way to finish off your day Grandmabatty.

Just wondering how Urm is. Take care everyone. I'm off to put the kettle on for the workers. It's fast approaching ten o'clock.

Jaxjacky Thu 24-Jun-21 09:51:52

Dwm crumbs, what a shock, pleased he got back safely, I suppose some forward planning needs to happen now, a day of rest for both Mum and Dad today.
Harrigran that time of night is rather magical isn’t it, a small window of respite for you too.
Our original plans for 2020 were train journeys in Scotland Marydoll starting from here in S Hants, by train north, one day.
Maggie football house here too, looking forward to Tuesday with bated breath and everything crossed!

B9exchange Thu 24-Jun-21 09:49:48

Good morning all from SWHerts, a bit of sun is welcome. Some lovely garden photos. dwmxwg what a traumatic experience for all of you. My father at the end of his life decided he wanted to go on one last cruise. He was really forgetful by then and I was against it, but to my horror his doctor encouraged him. I packed his suitcase for him and confiscated it overnight so he couldn't fiddle with it. Got him wheelchair assistance at the airport just to make sure he was put on the right plane. 7.00 am the next morning I got a call from the ship's nurse. ' Your father has forgotten all his medication!' I assured her it was in the bottom of his suitcase and please would she check. She was really dubious, somewhat cross, and said she would ring me back in half an hour and I would have to decide what to do. I never got the phonecall, so assumed they had been found. When we collected him from the airport, he was upset because he said there was a polio outbreak on the plane and they had all been sprayed (this was the SARS outbreak!). Then the stories came out. He had got off the ship at Marseilles for a day trip, having met a lady who helped him book it. He missed the coach back and got lost. He doesn't speak any French. By some miracle he found himself outside a police station and marched in. 'I need to get back to my boat my good man, can you help me?' he said to the officer at the desk. Somewhat taken aback, the officer rushed to find someone who knew enough English to deal with the mad Englishman now pacing up and down Reception. Eventually a reluctant volunteer was found, and my father repeated his request. This chap realised that there was only one cruise ship in town that day, bundled my father into a police car and sped him to the dock, sirens going, just in time to board before it left. I still shudder to think what might have happened! We worry about our children, but at least when they are small we can try and keep them from harm, but worry over parents is something else, with no hope that they will improve!

One cat has just nibbled my Boston fern and thrown up all over the office, got to go, have a good day everyone!

Greyduster Thu 24-Jun-21 09:44:12

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. The weather is overcast, with watery sunshine breaking through. A late one for me; broken night. We had a busy ‘in’ day yesterday so we are going for a walk in our favourite park today.
Dwm. I’m glad your father is OK. How awful for your mum.
Corner I have water feature envy. DH won’t let us put one in because he says the one we had in the last garden was a pain in the neck!
Whatever you’re doing today, have a good one, folks.

Nannagarra Thu 24-Jun-21 09:43:50

A journey on a steam train, Marydoll? The sounds, the smells… Wish I were with you. ? ??
Wonderful news about your DD, Susan56.
Fantastic willow, BlueSapphire. So pretty.

Grandmajean Thu 24-Jun-21 09:38:10

Good morning. Late to the party today. Have had a quick glance at early posts and just seen the one from Dwmxwg - what an awful fright for you and your mum. Glad it all worked out and your dad seems ok. Not read other posts yet.
Dreary weather here. Not much planned any way.
Zoom choir later.
Best day possible everyone.

Auntieflo Thu 24-Jun-21 09:23:34

Good morning Mick, Annie and all.
Yesterday we managed to cut up the old vertical blind header rails, ready to go to the tip on Sunday.
Today we may pop out for a coffee and hopefully see some familiar faces.
I am loving the pictures if all the gardens. Ours is fine and blooming, but could do with a bit of weeding again!
DD and SIL are sending pictures of the sites they are visiting on their tour of the Lake District. Luckily the weather seems to be holding up for them.
Dwmxwg, So glad to hear that your dad got home safely, although a bit muddy. What a fright you all must have had.
I am envious if your forthcoming steam train trip Marydoll, do enjoy the sights, sounds and smells.
I am another who remembers doing lino cuts at school , and did anyone else do carving of salt blocks?
Off to sort myself out for the day, so have a good day one and all.

Stilllearning Thu 24-Jun-21 09:14:23

Good morning from St Andrews where DD, DGD and I had a lovely day yesterday. Today looks fine weatherwise until late afternoon so 10 year old granddaughter is donning her wetsuit and going in for a swim in the sea. Granny will watch from the beach!
We were able to eat outside at a lovely Italian restaurant last night, it was warm and dry and felt almost like being abroad! The next few days when DSiL is joining us look a bit more problematic but we’ll enjoy ourselves anyway and I can collect some more phrases for use by unwary visitors to our lovely country, eg ‘It’s fine when you’re out of that wind’!

So sorry to read about your dad’s misadventure dwmxwg, what a terrible fright for your mum and yourself. I’m really glad all ended well.

Wishing everyone the best of days, off now to get wrapped up for a day on the beach ???☔️☃️??

BlueSapphire Thu 24-Jun-21 09:03:29

And now they've come up twice!

BlueSapphire Thu 24-Jun-21 09:02:27

Oops, my photos disappeared.

BlueSapphire Thu 24-Jun-21 08:56:41

Good morning everyone from a cool grey morning in Northampton. Yesterday was beautiful and i spent a pleasant afternoon reading in the garden.

Wasn't too impressed with my new hairdresser yesterday; my regular one had left the salon unexpectedly and the new girl didn't quite get what I wanted with the cut or styling. Will try again next time or try a different stylist.

Sainsburys delivery over lunchtime, then a health walk this evening followed by a drink and dinner at the pub.

Pictures are of my flamingo willow (very appropriate!), and the lovely climbing rose on the pergola.

Hope we see a bit of sunshine today.

ginny Thu 24-Jun-21 08:56:41

Good morning all. A bit dull here in N. Bucks , hope it will brighten up.
Dwmxw what a fright for you. Glad he arrived back safely .

We have long time ( 50 years) friends coming to visit today. We haven’t seen them for almost 3 years so lots of chatting to be done. We have booked an outside table for lunch at a local restaurant so I’m not stuck in the kitchen .
DD 3 and the boys will call in later. Friends are eager to meet baby Charlie and Thomas was just 2 when they last saw him.

Marydoll enjoy your train ride. DH would love to do that.

Thoughts with missing posters and those who are troubled.
Hope you can all find a smile today.

Grandmabatty Thu 24-Jun-21 08:50:42

Forgot to say, well done to your daughter Susan.

Grandmabatty Thu 24-Jun-21 08:49:23

Good morning all. Polmont is cloudy and it forecast for rain later.
Dwm what a fright for everyone. I'm glad it had a happy ending and I hope your dear dad has no ill effects from his adventure. Your poor mum. Susan I feel your pain. Puddle splashing? Marydoll enjoy your steam train journey. There is a little one which has been renovated in Bo'ness which is near where I stay. I'll have to check to see if it has reopened as the boy wonder would love it. Grandmattie your garden looks lovely. Grandmafrench a busy day ahead for you. I loathe ironing with every fibre of my soul so I sympathise.
Yesterday I visited mum who decided to be unpleasant then my soul was soothed by a two hour art class and I arrived home with my ruffled feathers settled. I was at my friend's house for dinner and had a really nice evening. She has significant health worries but minimises them. So a generally good day.
Today I have no plans. I'll potter about the garden and the house. Salad and quiche for tea. Have a good day all.

Anniebach Thu 24-Jun-21 08:44:55

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Nannagarra Thu 24-Jun-21 08:43:30

Good morning from the Sefton coast where it is raining!
Your garden looks beautiful grandMattie. I’m sure you’re delighted with it.
What a scare for you dwm; thank goodness it ended well. I hope your father is okay and there are no more scares for your parents.
Sending warm wishes to those celebrating birthdays.
We’re dog sitting today as DS is on a team-building exercise. This afternoon a group of us have arranged to meet in a friend’s garden. If we are rained off, we decamp to another friend’s summer house which is full of ornaments and ablaze with colour. She loves bubblegum pink, luminous green, zingy turquoise - all brought together in a throw she bought a few months ago. Girls just want to have fun ???
Thinking of missing posters, of those whose days might be brightened by a gentle hug and some flowers from GMs. Have the best day you can everyone.

Susan56 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:29:59

Good morning from Shropshire.We have finally got rain which means we will be confined to barracks today with Henry?Hopefully the sun will be out by school pick up time and we can go to the park with a picnic??

We had good news yesterday.Our younger daughter has been offered a full time permanent teaching position at the school she wanted.We are so happy and so proud.We have all been living the application and interview process for weeks?

Glad you got the fountain corner and even better that it was half price?

DWM, what an absolute nightmare for you all yesterday.I hope your mum and dad are recovering, well all of you, what a shock?

I hope the antibiotics kick in soon for your husband harrigran.

Mary, we are very envious of your outing on the Flying Scotsman.Have a lovely time?

Thinking of our many missing friends, those unwell and those with worries.

Have the best day you can all??