Gransnet forums

Chat

Dost thou love thy neighbour?

(156 Posts)
Lucca Thu 24-Jun-21 07:19:12

Seeing this weird story made me wonder if anyone had experience of awful, wonderful, strange neighbours ? (I’m very lucky as mine are all round good eggs!)

Savvy Mon 05-Jul-21 18:09:31

I have decent next door, they are a married couple in their 80s. They let me have apples from their tree and I let them raid the blackberries in my garden.

My upstairs neighbours on the other hand.... well I got the measure of her when I saw the tattoos!

Loz500 Tue 29-Jun-21 13:00:27

Luckily we have lived in our house for over 20 years, with the same lovely neighbours !

Daisend1 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:37:11

My neighbour says it is my responsibility to keep my garden gate closed so her dog cannot get into my garden .I say she should keep her gate closed so that her dog stays inher garden .
I do not have this problem with other neighbours and their dogs and I do not have a dog of my own.

Ali08 Tue 29-Jun-21 11:14:43

Lucca,

I read that, too, and had such a hearty laugh over it!
I blame the pandemic, with us all having been stuck at home and starting to realise the oddities around us, little things that niggle at us.... like trees!
Well, we moved in the day before the first lockdown, so almost 16 months ago.
I got to know one neighbour, 3 doors away, because my DD recognised her as being a parent at her children's school so I sent her a PM on FB, and now we chat quite a bit.
The ones next door I had heard while in their garden but not seen until I saw the mum the other day as she had answered the door to someone, and I only met her son yesterday.
Another neighbour we sometimes see as we go to the shop, him indoors more than me as I'm agoraphobic so don't go out much, definitely not anywhere alone!
In our little street, which is more of a passageway thru to a small gated estate, there are 5 houses. So I've met 2 neighbours, glanced at one at her door and actually seen the child of that one once. They're all very quiet, varying ages and all-in-all I'm very happy we got this place!!

Tizliz Tue 29-Jun-21 11:04:17

I can’t understand all this tree chopping. We needed/wanted a tree cut down in the neighbouring field and were told that it was not allowed.

On the other side when we were putting up a new fence the neighbours suggested we built the new one in their garden before we pulled down the old one to make life easier for the builder - giving us 18” x 60’ of their garden.

Justwidowed Tue 29-Jun-21 10:41:57

I am so lucky with my neighbours.Yesterday I was travelling home on a bus after a day out, when my mobile rang. My neighbour who was visiting her son 200 miles away was ringing to check I was Ok because her partner at home had told her that my bedroom curtains were still closed (diabetic so could have been short of sugar).I assured her I was and thanked her.On arriving home I collected some heavy shopping from another neighbour,I then stayed for coffee and biscuits and a long chat.All my neighbours have been wonderful ,I would never contemplate moving.

Craftycat Mon 28-Jun-21 12:53:57

One side of us are lovely. The other side is a miserable old bat who never says anything nice about anyone & moans all the time. She yells at the children next door the other way if they are playing in their garden saying they make too much noise- they are lovely children & are just having fun. She is very deaf anyway! It is far worse now her husband has died as he did keep her in check.
I confess I tip toe around my garden if I know she is in hers & check she is not in front garden when I go out. Luckily we have high hedges.
I hate to say this but she is a pillar of her local church but not my idea of a Christian.
My husband is better with her but then she needs him at times for little jobs etc. Her son lives locally so is there a lot but he is very odd indeed so it must run in the family!!

Lucca Mon 28-Jun-21 07:23:19

Image won’t post

Lucca Mon 28-Jun-21 07:20:15

Try again

Lucca Mon 28-Jun-21 07:19:30

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 27-Jun-21 22:11:33

The neighbours on one side are a very pleasant young couple with their two small children. The other side - similar age to myself, when our wall looked like falling down she refused to pay towards it despite her ivy was pulling it down. She couldn't afford it, she said and went on to have a downstairs extension and an upstairs extension, and a lot of changes to her house that we couldn't afford!! We are civil, but that's all.

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 19:31:30

Today, my neighbour came round with an homemade Key Lime pie for me. Whilst here, he looked at my front garden hedge and said "I'll cut that for you tomorrow when I do mine". I love my neighbours. Pity I hate the house.

Jaibee007 Sun 27-Jun-21 19:02:40

Unsurprisingly all my neighbours broke lock down rules from the word go, don't know about masks or vaccines ???

Jaibee007 Sun 27-Jun-21 19:01:50

I have horrible neighbours - noisy, druggy, thuggy, have decking or plastic grass in their gardens, loud smelly bbqs every weekend, I hate them all

varian Sun 27-Jun-21 18:56:58

We have been so lucky to have lived next door to great neighbours for more than forty years. It is one of the reasons that we don't want to move house.

ruthie2 Sun 27-Jun-21 18:47:58

over the years in four different addresses I've found one-third of the neighbours were indifferent to me, one-third didn't like me and the remaining third were kind and friendly. (Isn' t this the case with life in general)? However since I moved to sheltered accomodation 3 and a half years ago I've found a wall of indifference. Apart from the occasional "morning" I've yet to engage anyone in conversation. I always thought I could talk to anyone until I met this bunch. I'm beginning to think it's a mistake to lump everyone of a certain age together. Maybe a mixture of ages works best.

grannyactivist Sun 27-Jun-21 13:16:44

When we moved into our house the attached semi was lived in by a couple, she in her mid 90s and he a year younger. Their house had been her parents’ and when she married (in her 40s) she wouldn’t put his name on the deeds. So for 50 years he refused to do anything at all to preserve the fabric of the house because it wasn’t his. When we first visited them they literally had holes in the ceilings and lived in only two of their rooms (the house is huge) as the others were uninhabitable.

They died (fortunately before they could blow us up with their constant forgetting to light the gas stove) and their house was bought by a builder who spent decades renovating it beautifully - and it has recently been bought by a lovely couple with young children, who called round a couple of weeks ago to share their plans for merging their breakfast room and kitchen. The building work will start soon.

On the unattached side, the house next door has been converted into three flats and all now house young couples/families. We give them Christmas gifts, lend them our water sports equipment and share our allotment goodies, usually in the form of pots of jam, chutney or pickles - and have not had any issues. However, in the past we did have a convicted murderer living there (seemed like a nice chap) and a visitor to the same flat was a voyeur who eventually we had to challenge and the flat was then sold.

ElaineRI55 Sun 27-Jun-21 12:40:48

Life is so much easier if neighbours get on. So sorry to read about some horror stories!
In a previous house, we had troublesome teens hanging about, a drug-dealing neighbour and another whom our daughter witnessed being shot (just wounded ). Lots of nice neighbours too, although I've made it sound like the wild west!
We moved to our present, peaceful cul-de-sac in a different town 4 years ago. Neighbours very friendly and helpful on the whole. Two neighbours were a bit abrupt about where they thought we should/shouldn't park on the street etc (everyone has a driveway but most houses have at least 2 vehicles). We calmly explained the law and have gone out of our way to have friendly chats since, so no ongoing issues thankfully.

greenlady102 Sun 27-Jun-21 10:59:51

Nanananana1

I do sympathise with the poor folk whose tree was sliced in half. What odd behaviour from those neighbours
Not so unusual as, at out last house our neighbours also sliced a conifer in half, it looked a mess and cost them a lot.
If only they had talked to us about it we could have saved the the money as we had planned to have it cut down the following week!
Glad we moved away from our toxic neighbour, I hadn't realised how much it was bringing me down till we met our new neighbours here. They are lovely and we get on really well, occasional drinks and lots of chats, just wonderful and such a relief

yup, thought i had dealt with my toxic neighbours well eventually but when they finally moved I could feel my shoulders relax.

helenmabr Sun 27-Jun-21 10:55:54

Our street are on tv at the moment (The One Show) and have been since the beginning of the pandemic as we all meet in the street but socially distanced, love our neighbours and our street

Nanananana1 Sun 27-Jun-21 00:00:20

I do sympathise with the poor folk whose tree was sliced in half. What odd behaviour from those neighbours
Not so unusual as, at out last house our neighbours also sliced a conifer in half, it looked a mess and cost them a lot.
If only they had talked to us about it we could have saved the the money as we had planned to have it cut down the following week!
Glad we moved away from our toxic neighbour, I hadn't realised how much it was bringing me down till we met our new neighbours here. They are lovely and we get on really well, occasional drinks and lots of chats, just wonderful and such a relief

Bringonthegks Sat 26-Jun-21 22:06:13

Some of our best friends happen also to be our neighbours. They are lovely and we are lucky. ?

GreenGran78 Sat 26-Jun-21 21:21:56

There are 12 houses in my road. We have lived here for 56 years, and there has never been a single neighbourly fall-out in all that time. Many of us have been here for many years, but even the newer people have fitted in well. We are all friendly and helpful to each other without being in and out of each other’s houses.
Some years ago with had some trouble from a house at the rear of us. Their teenage children were often left at home alone, and used to bring in their friends and play very loud ‘banging an oil drum and shouting’ kind of ‘music’. Eventually the Council and Police dealt with them, and no more trouble ensued.
We consider ourselves very lucky to have such good neighbours. One of them was 80 today, and had a Covid-friendly tea-party in the garden, with a shift system to accommodate everyone safely.

Dee1012 Sat 26-Jun-21 18:51:54

I've had a few odd-bods over the year's but otherwise been fairly lucky however recently, suffered with someone who kept accusing me of making noises, even when I was at work and the house was empty!
She's recently moved so I'm hoping the next tenants will be more balanced!

CBBL Sat 26-Jun-21 18:08:50

We don't really have "neighbours" as such, and haven't yet met our nearest neighbours across the street. There is a garage next door to us on one side, and we have met the owner of this. He's a lovely chap, very friendly - but he doesn't live at the garage, of course! He has a full time job, doing something else entirely (can't remember what) and does his "garage work" at evenings and weekends. There is sufficient space between his property and ours that there is no "noise nuisance" at all. At the other side of the bungalow are several fields, until you get to the very top of the street, where there are a few more bungalows and a farm (at least a thousand metres away). We only moved here earlier this year, so Covid restrictions have meant that we can't really interact to any great extent - though we do wave and/or say hello to anyone passing, when we are outside! Looking forward to the time when we can chat and get to know a few more people.