Gransnet forums

Chat

Irrational dislikes on sight

(293 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 24-Jun-21 08:33:06

Are there any famous or well known people you just dislike for no rational reason ?
Nigel Farage is one for me
Simon Cowell another. Never met either of them and probably never will but even before I knew what they were known for,something made me dislike them.

Nannyknee Thu 01-Jul-21 21:30:24

Naga Munchetty
Stacey Dooley
Phillip Schofield
Angela Rippoff

grannypiper Mon 28-Jun-21 15:19:33

Elton John, the very first time i saw him on television in the very early 70s when i was 4 years old he made my skin crawl, but to be fair he did look my neighbour who was horrid.

Mollygo Mon 28-Jun-21 14:57:43

Chewbacca I’ll think of you every time I have to pay my licence fee. I don’t watch as much as DH, but I’m glad I didn’t miss Blue Planet 2 last night.
Another irrational dislike, just to stay on task, is Jack Whitehall.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Jun-21 14:17:22

Oh, good for you Chewbacca
I could quite happily live without TV, but DH couldn't.
I listen to the radio pretty much 24/7, or listen to audio books

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 14:02:24

I don't own a television FannyCornforth so won't be watching it.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Jun-21 13:52:34

Chewbacca

Tracy Ann Oberman has the most beautiful voice on the radio, I could listen to her all day. But I have no idea what she looks like and frankly, I don't care.

I don't know if you watch Friday Night Dinner - TAO plays Auntie Val.
(In a wig - I think)

Ooh, Alegrias, I'm going to have to have a go at working out who you are on about! smile

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 13:16:55

Beauty is in the eye and all that......

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 13:14:02

Someone just posted on the "celebs I like" thread about a person who I think is the most devious, disingenuous and untrustworthy person I've ever met. And yes, I've met them. The poster likes them. Fair enough. Not for me to argue.

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 13:12:09

I thought it was just a conversconversation..... you know, like what we used to have back in the old days..... people chatting about what they do/don't, like/dislike etc

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 13:11:57

Sorry - posted early.

Its about the context and intention of the thread. I'm afraid if "dislike" is the same emotion we feel for Lorraine Kelly (cheery TV presenter) and Tommy Robinson (hater of immigrants and fomenter of interracial strife) then I think its worth mentioning.

"Getting past it" where I come from means "get over it, understand it"

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 13:08:37

It's about the context and intention of the thread Mollygo. I

Mollygo Sun 27-Jun-21 13:04:44

But you don’t have to ‘get past it’ Alegrias1.
It’s other people’s personal opinions, and thank heavens, apart from one or two posts on here, they’re not vile.
We don’t have to agree, disagree, approve, disapprove, judge as reasonable or get past what others feel about certain people they’ve never met.

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 12:51:56

In afraid I can't get past the fact that the list of "dislikes" includes Lorraine Kelly and Tommy Robinson.

That's quite a spectrum. confused

Lucca Sun 27-Jun-21 12:45:39

FannyCornforth

Alegrias looking back, I've seen that one poster has had a pop at the (brilliant) Tracey Ann Oberman for having a 'ridiculous name'. hmm

And Claudia W. Gets into trouble for having a ridiculous fringe.

Funny how it’s just “dislike” though eh…..

Chewbacca Sun 27-Jun-21 12:43:48

Tracy Ann Oberman has the most beautiful voice on the radio, I could listen to her all day. But I have no idea what she looks like and frankly, I don't care.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Jun-21 12:39:48

Callistemon perhaps we could start a 'Ridiculous Names' thread...

Mind you, having said that, we did recently have a 'Names that you don't like' thread, didn't we?

A 'Stupid Faces' thread would be interesting...
Mind you, having said that (again),
I did, only the other day, say on another thread, that Tom Hiddleston had 'annoying eyebrows'; so I'm a fine one to judge!

Callistemon Sun 27-Jun-21 11:32:43

FannyCornforth

Alegrias looking back, I've seen that one poster has had a pop at the (brilliant) Tracey Ann Oberman for having a 'ridiculous name'. hmm

Really?

I wonder what the criteria are for ridiculousness of names?

Callistemon Sun 27-Jun-21 11:30:29

^^susieq3
I disagree about Rita Chacrabati (I also don’t know how it’s spelt).
I like her soothing, sensible way of reading the news. No matter how bad, it seems better when she reads it.

I like Rita Chakrabarti too.

I find Tom Bradby's style of news presenting irritating, he' too chatty, matey and opinionated.

I will say that I have met one of the gushing presenters mentioned earlier and no, she is not at all like that in RL. Quite rude, in fact.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Jun-21 11:27:42

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 11:20:51

All quotes are authentic, Fanny wink

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Jun-21 11:16:20

Alegrias I must admit, I'm loving 'giggling ninny'.

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 11:13:01

I don't recall any poster telling another that they were past their sell by date, that they were a giggling ninny, that they were dead-eyed or nauseating?

Or comparing them to Weinstein, because after all, no smoke without fire, eh?

One poster made a list of people she didn't agree with but that was weird. And she got told so.

Mollygo Sun 27-Jun-21 10:59:59

Alegrias1 that’s sometimes like GN.
They’re people who, for the most part we don’t know so they don’t count do they. They’re posters, not real people.

FannyCornforth Sun 27-Jun-21 10:58:23

Yorki's post about their deep seated and inexplicable hatred towards a group of talented young dancers is a case for a Freudian scholar.

I think that the post in question is still up.

Alegrias1 Sun 27-Jun-21 10:52:32

Sorry, I know that's for Fanny Mollygo but I'm here and posting smile.

Just read some of the posts, and the language used. This is not dislike in the sense of thinking someone is a comic, for instance, but "I don't really like their work."

People give posters the creeps, they have evil eyes, they make people’s skin crawl, they are “playing the race card” hmm, 61-year-old TV presenters are well past their sell by date.

Where’s that wee donkey when you need him?

Maybe it’s all OK though because we are being nasty behind people’s backs? People we don’t know? So they don’t count, do they. They’re celebrities, not real people. hmm