Gransnet forums

Chat

on line shopping for the over 60's trendy but suitable

(139 Posts)
DianaLouise Sat 24-Jul-21 11:34:34

we have no shops left locally now Debenhams has gone, are there any recommendations for the best online sites something in the M&S price range.

Casdon Sun 15-Aug-21 17:37:14

Another good bet for chunky wool jumpers is Celtic&Co., they have some lovely ones in their new stock.

NotAGran55 Sun 15-Aug-21 17:30:16

M0nica have you tried Uniqlo for jumpers ? I love their merino range .

M0nica Sun 15-Aug-21 17:22:11

What about unsuitable clothes for the Over-60s? Gudren Sjolden, Culture Vulture, clothes are not their main item for sale, I would love to find someone doing big chunky woollen sweaters in cheerful colours.

I have tried Woolovers, but have found many of their sweaters, too short and too fine.

Welshy Sat 14-Aug-21 20:06:46

Oh I forgot ... PEACOCKS, they are online too.

Lisagran Sun 08-Aug-21 14:04:18

There was a code in yesterday’s Guardian for 20% off Sahara clothes (not sale) - GREEN20- to 28/08/21

TrendyNannie6 Sat 07-Aug-21 21:30:20

Not a fan of Seasalt, love M&Co, Fat Face. Dotty P, H&M, and Sainsbury’s TU

Eviebeanz Sat 07-Aug-21 15:16:16

Masai, kookai, white stuff, boden. All from my local charity shop in the last month. Tended to live in tops and jeans on 'thin' days and long tops and leggings on fat days. As I was nearing my 59th birthday I had decided that I wanted to change things up a bit without spending a fortune. The masai dress was £6 same with a dress from kookai. Means I can try things I wouldn't usually go for without worrying too much about cost.

Keffie12 Thu 05-Aug-21 18:50:46

Joe Brown's
Very
Simply Be
Curvissa
Love leggings
Everything for a fiver

The majority of my shopping is done .online

goose1964 Tue 03-Aug-21 14:12:31

m.patra.com/ do some good stuff

DianaLouise Tue 03-Aug-21 12:07:17

thank you everyone got loads of ideas now.

Lucca Mon 02-Aug-21 19:26:22

dogsmother

Another vote for Masai clothing here, although my preference is for finding sale pieces. Also the sizing is a bit off I find the large is more often extra large and so on.

Yes I always go for small although I would normally be a medium.

dogsmother Mon 02-Aug-21 19:04:28

Another vote for Masai clothing here, although my preference is for finding sale pieces. Also the sizing is a bit off I find the large is more often extra large and so on.

M0nica Mon 02-Aug-21 18:07:46

If you are an older woman who prefers more conservative clothes, then this site is worth looking at. Cotswold Collection www.cotswoldcollections.com/

misty34 Sun 01-Aug-21 22:57:01

I love roman Originals their customer service is really good. They have a group on face book which is helpful, people review their purchases and post pictures if they feel confidant enough and give good information i.e if your big busted go up a size. Etc

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Jul-21 14:10:13

If you end up sending things back you can recoup the tenner by "exchanging" for something of low value - I did this last year, "exchanged" a whole pile of "don't fits" for a pair of sale leggings which I knew would do.

Thanks, NotSpaghetti, I'll look into this, when/if my new Gudrun frocks actually get here. Nine days since my order, the estimated delivery date keeps being moved on. sad

GillT57 Wed 28-Jul-21 13:28:48

Seasalt is my go to, and also Adini for dresses and tunics, really good quality for the price. Boden styles are nice, but the fabric quality not as good as it once was. Lands End for every day t shirts, maybe be initially more expensive than say M&S, but some of mine are onto their fifth summer. I can't remember the last time I bought anything from M&S. I have a couple of beautiful long tunic tops from Sahara which are a few years old, still look like new and go beautifully with a pair of white trousers from Lands End. Lands End for jeans and casual trousers; again watch out for the 40% off snap sales, they are then great value, and I can order with confidence knowing they will fit well.

Rainwashed Wed 28-Jul-21 13:08:03

I have found this thread very informative.I wouldn’t know Debenhams and Bon Marche were on line if I hadn’t looked. Should have done really as I now think I remember hearing somewhere had bought up the on line side of Debenhams !Also I hadn’t heard of Otrium and Gudrun Sjoden which look good.
Ambrose Wilson is another on line site I like, don’t know if it has been mentioned.

Marydoll Wed 28-Jul-21 07:38:06

Riggie, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Riggie Wed 28-Jul-21 00:48:17

Marydoll

How is the sizing on Gudrun Sjõdén? I know it's Lagenlook style, but is it true to size?

Fit varies by style so you need to know the different descriptions eg figure fit, generous etc. There's a general info section on the website and then each garment has its own measurements for the medium size and there's another chart to tell you what to add or deduct for other sizes.

But a good way is to join one one of the many Gudrun Sjoden groups on Facebook that are customer led. People are happy to measure their purchases if asked.

Riggie Wed 28-Jul-21 00:34:00

Soozikinzi

Roman are suitable for over60s

Is there a special over 60s uniform that I don't know about?

LtEve Tue 27-Jul-21 16:30:17

I buy a lot of clothes on eBay, I don’t mind good quality second hand stuff and have even managed to get some designer bits. If it doesn’t fit I’ve generally spent under £10 so am not too upset and I Freegle it or take it to the charity shop.

Marydoll Tue 27-Jul-21 16:29:51

How is the sizing on Gudrun Sjõdén? I know it's Lagenlook style, but is it true to size?

katy1950 Tue 27-Jul-21 16:25:10

Next
John Lewis
Roman's
Sea salt

NotSpaghetti Tue 27-Jul-21 16:20:36

Maggiemaybe

I've ordered a Gudrun Sjõdén dress from the current sale, the first time I've ordered from them. For other newbies, please bear in mind that they ship from Sweden so you've to pay £3 for delivery, unless you pick up from a UPS collection point, and it's an extra £5 for orders under £40. Apparently if you use the Freepost label to return goods, £10 is taken from your refund (otherwise you can send it back by Royal Mail at their standard rates). It's been so long since I've had to pay for delivery and returns that I didn't realise this (my fault, I know) when I ordered the same dress in two sizes.

Unless I'm impressed beyond measure by my new frock, I'll be sticking to my favourites in future. This year it's been White Stuff, Joules, Weird Fish. I've gone off Boden a bit, but I think M & S have had some good Summer stuff, particularly their Ghost dresses.

If you end up sending things back you can recoup the tenner by "exchanging" for something of low value - I did this last year, "exchanged" a whole pile of "don't fits" for a pair of sale leggings which I knew would do.

Herbie9 Tue 27-Jul-21 15:55:49

David Niepier's stylish clothes are made in this country, I believe, and although on the expensive side their catalogue is worth looking at.