Gransnet forums

Chat

Post box toppers!

(35 Posts)
Katek Sun 25-Jul-21 12:57:07

Have any of you got a post box topper nearby? Seems to be a bit of a ‘thing’ in places. This is the one in our village made by local craft group - we live on the coast in case you haven’t guessed!

Redhead56 Wed 28-Jul-21 19:18:57

Lots of them have appeared in Liverpool

Nannagarra Wed 28-Jul-21 18:37:57

Was much appreciated when on display in April.

Maggiemaybe Wed 28-Jul-21 13:24:57

What great pictures. I've never seen any round here, but there've been some wonderful knitted characters on display along the pier at lovely Saltburn when I've visited. And very occasionally knitted baubles appear on a tree at our crossroads with a notice saying that people can help themselves. From comments on our local Facebook page I know that these are very much appreciated, particularly by people who are feeling a bit down.

I can think of many worse ways of using your talents and free time.

Doodledog Wed 28-Jul-21 13:23:24

I'm not really a fan, although they are harmless enough.

I knit, and get so fed up with people (ie non-knitters) suggesting that I make things like this, as though I had nothing better to do. I'm also a bit uneasy about people taking it upon themselves to decide what public places should look like - a bit like graffiti artists, but at least the yarn things are temporary. I realise that that sounds grumpy though ?.

I did see a lovely one made for Armistice Day. It was in the shape of a WW1 soldier - his head with hat on and the shoulders of his uniform.

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 12:27:53

Oh my goodness look at this!

Tom's a very accomplished knitter, of course!

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-57982697

travelsafar Wed 28-Jul-21 12:10:13

How enchanting!!! Someone, somewhere has a very inventive mind to start this off. The knit and natter group i atend restarts next week i will certainly be mentioning this. smile

Elegran Wed 28-Jul-21 12:05:40

Lucca

Esspee

Some people seem to have a lot of time on their hands.
Never seen one - thankfully.

Oh dear. And what if they do ? Not everyone has a busy busy life.
I think they are fun.

They probably made them during lockdown, when, yes, they DID have a lot of time on their hands!

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:44:09

Lovely M0ira!

M0ira Wed 28-Jul-21 11:26:50

Hope I got this right!

M0ira Wed 28-Jul-21 11:24:42

Walked from a lovely village in Kent. Had to snap this post box topper.

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:19:46

They are wonderful! Haven't seen any near me, the nearest I've seen is Thirsk, but with lockdown don't know if they are still there!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:25:09

They are really great, Well done to whoever thought up these creations, made my day!

baubles Wed 28-Jul-21 09:19:37

Our Knitting Ninjas have been out again, they are busy all year with seasonal changes. We aren’t near the coast but the current theme is ‘by the seaside’.

Tea3 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:10:03

They are beautifully done and I would love to know how this all started ie someone somewhere must have knitted and installed the first one. But I’m afraid I don’t think they (or any other knitted bits and pieces) are suitable for outdoor display.

NanaandGrampy Wed 28-Jul-21 09:04:05

Yarn bombing is very popular at the moment . Our village craft group have been collaborating much to the delight of local school children and we have had several out. Generally they haven't been vandalised but one or two knitted creatures have been 'borrowed' .

Surprisingly , they do very well in the rain. I made 25 crocheted baubles for a Christmas tree in my grandsons garden and they survived the whole of December , were brought in, washed and tumble dried and look as good as new.

Witzend Wed 28-Jul-21 09:01:32

They’re very jolly IMO. I’ve been thinking of a Christmas one to decorate a postbox near gdcs’ house, but haven’t been able to find a pattern. Can anyone point me to one? I have a massive multi-coloured stash to use up, and I don’t think even the current projects, inc. a blanket, are going to diminish it by very much.

Shelflife Wed 28-Jul-21 08:50:49

Lovely indeed! Haven't seen any in my neck of the woods though. They are bright and cheerful, make me smile ?

Kate1949 Sun 25-Jul-21 15:37:16

I think they're lovely.

tanith Sun 25-Jul-21 15:34:46

The ones in Ruislip are knitted or crocheted by a local craft group there are lots, if you are on Facebook you can search for Ruislip post box toppers and look through the pictures there is one with Prince Philip and one to Captain Tom they are spectacular.
Maybee70 they stay out in all weathers.

Alegrias1 Sun 25-Jul-21 15:34:30

This crocheted one is outside a café in the town where I live. I love it.

Another sandwich, anyone? grin

Lucca Sun 25-Jul-21 15:29:02

Esspee

Oh dear. And what if they do ? Not everyone has a busy busy life.
I think they are fun.

annodomini Sun 25-Jul-21 15:24:27

If I wasted spent time knitting one of those and then we had torrential rain, I'd be utterly miffed!

Esspee Sun 25-Jul-21 14:34:27

Chardy Sun 25-Jul-21 14:29:57

We had several pre-Covid at Christmas and Easter. And the decorated post boxes in a local village were on TV at the start of June.

eazybee Sun 25-Jul-21 14:14:21

I noticed one yesterday, a blue and turquoise octopus. Didn't know it was knitted.