Gransnet forums

Chat

When we were young and beautiful

(114 Posts)
JackyB Tue 27-Jul-21 07:21:48

Back in the day, it was easier for men to compliment girls. Do you remember nice things that were said to you (or about you) when you were in your teens/twenties?

I can remember one, said to my boyfriend about me by a local roué, but I'd rather not repeat it.

My fondest memory would be when we had dancing lessons in the 2nd form (so we were about 12!) and two of the best looking boys in our year almost fighting over me when they had to choose a partner!

Humbertbear Thu 29-Jul-21 08:36:51

I distinctly remember someone telling my husband that I ‘was hot’. Back in the late 60s it was taken as a compliment. My husband has rarely paid me any compliments. If he does, then I know it is genuine and I am looking really good.

Tickledpink Wed 28-Jul-21 21:54:52

I recall being told at 16 that I was being considered for a pop group. It never happened but I remember how excited I felt at the time.

Smurf52 Wed 28-Jul-21 21:44:11

I've just come out of hospital after an operation on my fractured ankle and felt flattered when the patient in the next bed told me that when I talked I came across as refined!

Kim19 Wed 28-Jul-21 18:50:04

My MiL wasn't wild about me. (Can't understand that!). One day when I was visiting her in hospital she said 'I was wrong about you. You're really good for (husband). I DO know how difficult it was for her to say that and she certainly didn't have to. Never forgotten it.

Caro57 Wed 28-Jul-21 18:43:43

Many years ago I did a course on something to do with health and wellbeing. At the end we were each given two luggage labels and asked to write something positive on them about two people in the group. They remained anonymous but I still carry mine in my suitcase as morale boosters

Smiffy58 Wed 28-Jul-21 18:34:29

I got a nice compliment yesterday. I swim most mornings, and as the timetable has changed due to the summer hols, I went later than usual. A chap I used to see regularly, but not for months, complimented me on my weight loss and looking trim, what did I weigh, he asked, 7 stone!?. Not. I would have objected but he is 90 in a few months!

blubber Wed 28-Jul-21 18:10:51

I should have added I have recently been contacted by someone I knew in my teens and he told me I was the girl of his dreams but was too shy to say anything.

blubber Wed 28-Jul-21 18:06:39

I was once told I would never be pretty but with some work I could be made attractive. I was 13 at the time and have spent my whole life believing I am ugly.

trisher Wed 28-Jul-21 18:00:49

Someone once told me I had Art Nouveau eyes. I thought that was pretty wonderful.

Lucca Wed 28-Jul-21 17:16:13

Nanna58

When I retired from teaching former pupils had written letters to go in my card, and the best compliment I’ve ever had was written in one . It said ‘ we loved you because you loved us’ still makes me weep to read....

One of my a level students wrote “yours was the one lesson I actively looked forward to “
but I wasn’t that young then so I guess that’s off topic,

Nanna58 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:12:08

When I retired from teaching former pupils had written letters to go in my card, and the best compliment I’ve ever had was written in one . It said ‘ we loved you because you loved us’ still makes me weep to read....

Unigran4 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:04:09

It wasn't nice, but I do remember it!

Unigran4 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:03:03

Not so nice, this one! As an early teen I was walking home when a young lad cycled by and called out "Hello, dreamboat!" I, unwisely, acknowledged this ego booster, and he shouted back "Not you, shipwreck!". Deflated or what!

maryrose54 Wed 28-Jul-21 16:45:53

Several people have complimented me on my silver hair, saying they would like to dye theirs the same colour. The nicest compliment though was from a work colleague at the school where I was a TA. She told me how kind caring and patient I was with the children and that she had learnt a lot from me. That was special.

cupcake1 Wed 28-Jul-21 16:16:13

Whilst working in the 90’s a male colleague used to always say I’d got ‘come to bed’ eyes each and every time I saw him. It got quite embarrassing and certainly wouldn’t happen in this day and age. Others commented on my eyes as well but not in such a crude manner!! Age has taken its toll and although my eyelashes are still long they’re definitely sparser and droopy lids don’t enhance the look either! Certain items of my clothing have been admired by female strangers which does make me feel good. One lady I met through work did make the comment ‘I bet you were a looker in your younger days’ That made me ??!!

sharon103 Wed 28-Jul-21 16:06:44

I've wrote this before but when I started work at 15 my foreman said I had come to bed eyes. Some years ago the postmaster in our village told me I have beautiful eyes. I don't think so but beauty is in the eye of the beholder it's said.
I've had my fair share of wolf whistles and chat up's.
A friend of my ex husband who lived down the road said to him that I was a bit of alright or words to that effect. Knowing that his wife's face was no oil painting, I still don't know if the was a compliment or an insult lol.
Seriously though, beauty's only skin deep isn't it. It's what's inside that matters.

Gwyneth Wed 28-Jul-21 15:57:13

I can remember being at a wedding do and moaning about a horrible spot that had erupted that day. I was trying to layer on the make up to cover it up which actually made it look worse. An older woman was also looking in the mirror and told me to stop worrying as my spot would be gone in a day or two but her wrinkles wouldn’t!

Grandma70s Wed 28-Jul-21 15:46:05

The nicest compliment I can remember came from a middle-aged French woman, who commented to my mother that I was graceful “comme un cygne” (like a swan). I was about 14 or 15 at the time,

Kryptonite Wed 28-Jul-21 15:40:03

The other day, I sent a current photo of myself and my mother to my cousin. She said I have a swan like neck which made me very pleased. Have never had a compliment about my neck. When I was an older teenager, my grandmother said I looked like Wonder Woman! Loved that.

Pudding123 Wed 28-Jul-21 15:31:04

I remember messing about dancing, singing the songs from Mary Poppins ,my mum who didn't believe in giving too many compliments told me I had Lovely Legs,what a surprise ,turns out she was right as I still get complements about them now at 67
,my daughter says Its not fair why did I get my dad's legs not yours!

Kate1949 Wed 28-Jul-21 15:26:38

I am the opposite if young and beautiful now. My hair's gone, my teeth have gone, I have lumps and bumps. However, my teenage granddaughter sent me a card which said 'You are my sunshine'. That'll do for me.

tictacnana Wed 28-Jul-21 15:11:24

My favourite compliments, the ones that I treasure, are from former pupils who have said how happy they were in my class or that I made a real and positive difference to their lives. Makes all the stress and worry of the job worthwhile. .... almost.

Allsorts Wed 28-Jul-21 15:03:40

It’s a very rude awakening when you look in the mirror and that person doesn’t look back.

Purplepoppies Wed 28-Jul-21 14:59:27

Rod Stewart wrote Maggie May about an older woman he had a fling with at a festival. Not a prostitute....
I have had alot of compliments about my eyes.
They are a strong family trait passed on to my girls ?

BlueSapphire Wed 28-Jul-21 14:53:32

When my late DH told me I was the 'sunshine of his life'; the Stevie Wonder song was on the radio at the time.