Gransnet forums

Chat

Fractured ankle, anyone else had one?

(37 Posts)
Smurf52 Sat 31-Jul-21 13:35:37

A month ago on holiday I broke my ankle in three places at the age of 69. Taken my dog for a walk before bedtime, I fell down a wet grassy slope and felt my left leg give way under me and heard a crack. I waited 4 hours for an ambulance in the wet and cold lying on the ground, after a fellow holidaymaker heard my cries for help and phoned 999. My partner was watching the Euros so didn't hear my cries.

I was admitted to hospital and had an operation a week after. I also managed to pick up an ecoli bug in my bladder. I was discharged a week later. Have been home a week with carers coming in twice a day. My sister stayed with me during the week and partner (who I don't live with) at the weekends.

My question is has any GN gone through the same thing. If so, how long after op were they able to get around? I've just been using a commode. I have a frame on wheels ready to move around but haven't got the confidence yet. My first fracture clinic 2 weeks after the op is on Monday 2 August.

I feel helpless and miserable right now at the seemingly long stretch ahead of me before I can be independent again. I also feel guilty feeling like this when there are a lot of people worse off than me.

Sallywally1 Thu 13-Jul-23 19:34:50

It’s a horrible injury, I broke mine some years ago. It took a couple of months to heal and I bought a cheap wheelchair as I could not manage crutches. The pain will recede and you will learn how to deal with every day activities like dressing yourself! It does get you down, but it will get better! You have my sympathies!

downtoearth Thu 13-Jul-23 19:32:22

Total hip replacement 11 weeks ago.
Injections in tummy for 30 days,was realky bruised,rather that than a blood clot.
No one here but me so had to get on with it,didnt like it but heyho had to be done

BlueBelle Thu 13-Jul-23 18:21:29

Not me but my friend is in a similar situation she slipped on grass taking her puppy for a walk and broke her foot in 6 places
She had about 3 weeks in hospital and then 2 weeks in a recovery ward in a care facility now been home about a week and like you smurf she is using a commode and got a frame on wheels and is pretty down about it all she still can’t put any weight on it
She has been told she ll be about 6 months before she’s up and running ( well maybe not running) she’s younger than me probably not quite 70 yet
Callistemon I had two ops earlier this year which needed the blood thinning injections in the tummy I wasn’t offered tablets….I didn’t like doing it much never got the hang of not hurting myself

madcatlady22 Thu 13-Jul-23 17:54:04

I fell and broke my ankle on the 13th April. 14 weeks later I am using crutches and doing the physio exercises but am feeling so down. Will I ever walk unaided again? It still feels like a massive uphill struggle. I've had a couple of falls during this time that have knocked my confidence a bit, and I seem to have some positive days and some very negative, depressing days. Help!

Callistemon Wed 04-Aug-21 15:34:32

Smurf52

Thanks again everyone for your uplifting comments and similar experiences.

Callistemon and Fennel - I have the injections but hate doing them myself but hey ho, it's not forever.

Maywalk - you're an inspiration. You certainly have been through it.

I had to position the needle, look away, inject, Smurf!

Smurf52 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:16:41

Thanks again everyone for your uplifting comments and similar experiences.

Callistemon and Fennel - I have the injections but hate doing them myself but hey ho, it's not forever.

Maywalk - you're an inspiration. You certainly have been through it.

MayBee70 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:08:48

That’s good to know. My neighbour has a dog called Lulu and I always think of the way they pronounced Lulu in Absolutely Fabulous ie LooLoooo. I used my time back then to catch up with all the films I’d been meaning to watch on dvd but had never got round to seeing. With my knee being a bit sore at the moment I’m catching up on books albeit being a very slow reader these days.

Smurf52 Wed 04-Aug-21 15:04:12

MayBee70

About 10 years ago I developed arthritis in my knee and it was interesting to read back over that time. It seemed to go on forever but it took 9 months. A visit to a chiropractor ( or osteopath) turned things round for me. You do tend to forget minor details that are actually important. Would it be insensitive of me to ask how you coped with the dog when you were injured? I often worry about something happening to me when I’m out walking mine. My big worry pandemic wise is something happening to both of us and there being no one to look after the dog.

My sister initially looked after Lulu but found it hard to look after me and her! My brother has stepped in and Lulu is now with him. He is quite happy to have her until I'm back on my feet.

Rosycheeks Sun 01-Aug-21 18:05:22

I had my ankle fused and couldnt walk on it for 6 weeks it was so depressing and I found the crutches so hard to use but it got better and I walk without a limp now after about 2 years of limping . So I know how hard it is and how down you feel but it will get better.

Fennel Sun 01-Aug-21 17:38:23

I still had the injections in March/April this year. My husband gave them.
A district nurse brought them here - a box of prefilled needles etc. To be returned to the pharmacy when finished.

Callistemon Sun 01-Aug-21 16:28:17

so I had daily district nurse visits for blood thinners

Oh yes, I forgot; I had blood thinners too but they were injections which I had to do myself daily.
Now they would probably prescribe them in tablet form.

Dogsmakemesmile Sun 01-Aug-21 14:29:31

Smurf hope you are having a better day. Loads of helpful posters here. Take care.

Fennel Sun 01-Aug-21 12:42:13

And @ Smurf - commiserations - but you'll get through it and look back and it won't be such a long time.
Do get your bone density checked out.

Fennel Sun 01-Aug-21 12:33:34

I fractured my ankle in March and was lucky as I didn;t need to have an operation. The rest of the story like yours, Callistemon.
My husband organised moving my bedroom downstairs and we have a shower room here.
I've never been upstairs since then - I'm ok going up, but afraid of losing my balance coming down.
I agree with those who say pay attention to your bone density - ask for a test and you'll find out if you need to take supplements.

silverlining48 Sun 01-Aug-21 09:45:17

I did similar about 20 years ago. Your ankle break is weight bearing so will take more time than an arm to heal, but it will, so be patient ( if you can). You have my sympathy. It’s not easy.

Esspee Sun 01-Aug-21 07:26:31

Osteopenia and osteoporosis can be prevented. If you suffer from it please tell your daughters to take action to avoid the menopause. This warning applies to grans still heading towards the menopause.
Sadly women are still mainly unaware of the long term effect of oestrogen withdrawal as advice is centered around the earlier symptoms such as hot flushes, night sweats etc.
It is the long term effects which are crippling in old age.

Mamie Sun 01-Aug-21 05:07:32

Walking frame not waling....

Mamie Sun 01-Aug-21 05:06:21

Lots of sympathy from me. I had a brolen fibula from falling down stairs, was in toe to thigh plaster for three weeks and then toe to knee for another three. Had to go upstairs on my bottom. I had a waling frame, crutches and borrowed a friend's wheeled walker which helped downstairs. We are in France, so I had daily district nurse visits for blood thinners and tests and they were helpful on getting equipment, then physio for three months when out of plaster. I am very active, so found it hard. Took six months to get back to normal and three years later I still feel it after a hard day in the garden.
This diary was the most helpful thing of all:
www.saga.co.uk/magazine/health-wellbeing/conditions/bones-joints/diary-of-a-broken-ankle

Callistemon Sat 31-Jul-21 21:23:08

Yes, I have Smurf, the crack sounded sickening. I was alone at home at the time, with no phone upstairs.

I was just plastered up and it was 50:50 whether I needed an operation after it had mended to hold the two bones together, but it was decided it wasn't necessary. I then had a boot.
Having a shower was difficult then someone lent me a special waterproof leg cover and I bought a shower stool.
Getting upstairs was worst.
I whizzed around downstairs in an office chair with wheels.

Afterwards I did have several physio appointments which helped a lot.

ElaineI Sat 31-Jul-21 20:34:35

Oh and ask for physio when you go to clinic.

ElaineI Sat 31-Jul-21 20:34:01

I think you should wait till your appointment before trying to walk. It is not long since you did it. DD2 fractured the bone joining her ankle to foot. She had a yoonboot and was off work for over 6 weeks then went back with the boot. It's only just better now after a few months..

Maywalk Sat 31-Jul-21 20:29:16

Cheer up Smurf. I am 91 and just getting over a fractured bone in the bottom of my spine. Over the years I have broken both arms and both hips plus ribs and ankles and three verterbra through Osteoporosis and not long had my first bone infusion. I am not sure what the boffins are hoping to achieve with me at this age with having that but I count myself a VERY lucky lady to still be here and drag myself around with my trolley.
After breaking my second hip in three places when I was 85 and it never healing properly I now have to wear a built up shoe because I am now 4 inches shorter on my left side.

You will be fine and soon running a marathon. Chin Up.

dogsmother Sat 31-Jul-21 19:44:02

Yep, fractured and dislocated approximately 6 years ago.
Pinned and plated took a while, I now have a loathing for crutches….. as I am a little impetuous and fell off them a couple of times. My job as a Physiotherapy Assistant was teaching people how to use them among other things, so you can I imagine how that amused folk.
It takes patience to get through this but you will. Please be as strict as you can with doing your physio afterwards as really does have a very serious long reward.
I have two beautiful scars inner and outer ankle but apart from this no limp and no problems. It was hard and I was like you miserable at times.

poshpaws Sat 31-Jul-21 15:06:29

Not my ankle, but you have my every sympathy: I broke my right wrist last Saturday evening, and have to wait 'til this Tuesday to find out if it needs an op or not. Meanwhile I'm very lucky, but feeling so guilty about the trouble I'm putting them to, in that I'm having to rely on my lovely friends/neighbours to care for and medicate me, my 4 dogs, 7 cats, 2 horses and an aviary of birds. (I think what hurts the worst, though, is that as recently as last month in an effort to economise, I cancelled my Accident insurance policy!) Sending you a big hug - we'll both be better before we know it.

Charleygirl5 Sat 31-Jul-21 14:52:01

I broke mine in 2009. I fell down two steps and to attempt to save myself my body twisted around and nd my foot slipped between the stair treads.
I had mega difficulty getting to the loo and a friend kindly stayed here to cook etc because otherwise, I could not have coped.
My ankle is pinned and plated but it took around 7 weeks to be out of plaster and able to walk a few steps with a frame. It takes around 3 months for the bones to heal but I have used a stick since then and I am now 77 to give you an idea.
If osteopenia assisted your break you may need extra vitamin D. That is something you should ask at your 1st appointment.