Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(56 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 02-Aug-21 06:06:22

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a clear blue sky at the present time here in brackley , today a quiet day with laundry to do .
Also the start of track cycling at Tokyo , be interesting to see how GB fares on there new bike frames ,as it will be the first time of use in competition
Otherwise ponder about and see how the day involves.
Take Care,
Mick

brook2704 Mon 02-Aug-21 19:04:57

Oh my goodness madeline what an awful situation but so pleased all was ok in the end and it’s not put you off driving
Take care ?

Grandmajean Mon 02-Aug-21 16:39:44

Just read your post Madeleine - what a shock for you. How lucky you had those two good Samaritans.

Blossoming Mon 02-Aug-21 16:35:12

Wow Madeleine45 that must have been quite scary! Glad you had some helpers to get you safely on your way.

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Aug-21 16:22:38

Crumbs madeline, what a shock, coped with admirably, you’re very welcome here.
We tend to start posts with where we are and the weather, you’re excused today! ?

madeleine45 Mon 02-Aug-21 15:56:35

well cant say good morning as it is definitely afternoon now. However I am now trying to catch up with the day as had to go and get a new tyre done this morning. Having driven here and abroad for more than 54 years it was the first (and hopefully the last!) tyre blow out I have had. Travelling near Kinsey Crags on narrow road with stone walls I came round a corner , fortunately not driving fast, and there were two very large stones or small boulders in the road. Could only manage to avoid one and hit the other with a terrific bang. The tyre went with a hiss and had quite a job to bring the car to a halt safely. The situation was poor as was quite close to the corner behind me and the oncoming traffic had a clear run and was travelling quite fast. Luckily for me a small grey car coming the other way stopped and the two young men lifted the boulders up and got them off the road. Then we worked together the three of us, so Sam changed the wheel , while phil stood at the corner to stop traffic from that way and I went quite a way up and put a fold up chair out in front of my car so that oncoming traffic would see there was a problem and I was waving them down. So we managed to get it all done and I was grateful for their help. I have only changed this car recently and was not totally sure that the spare wheel was safe to drive at speed as these spares that they put in now have to be driven at 35-40 miles an hour. for safeties sake I drove at that speed all the way home. No tyre place open nearby on sunday so hence have had to wait until today . Ankles, wrists and knees rather painful yesterday with all the wrestling about and standing etc and it ended up costing me over £75 for new tyre, but the tyre chap said yes my spare tyre was a good one and I could have driven at a faster speed!!. However I am grateful firstly to be alive, for the kind help of the two young men, and the fact that we managed to avoid any further accidents from the other traffic. I am a widow and live alone and have only moved here 2 months ago so I have rather missed having anyone to talk about this to, so thankyou for letting me write this here. I have lived abroad, driven all over, spent 10 years as a hospital car driver for 3 days a week and so you can see , am an experienced driver and happy to drive anywhere. So I have probably been lucky that this has not happened before. I will be carrying on driving and it wont put me off but it certainly shakes you up a bit at the time. Hopefully I can now have a couple of very ordinary days to make up for this adventure!

Lins1066 Mon 02-Aug-21 11:25:20

Good news Sar

EkwaNimitee Mon 02-Aug-21 11:22:57

Good Morning, Mick and everyone from a bright Carlisle where the sun is still battling with the clouds.
It's laundry and housework today, at least in the morning. More enjoyable stuff p.m which may or may not involve activity, I could mow the lawn, go for a stroll .....or not.
I hope you and MrH have a better day, Harrigran and wonder how Marydoll is?
Wishing all an enjoyable day.

Blossoming Mon 02-Aug-21 11:12:47

Good morning all. It’s humid and cloudy in our corner of Lancashire with rain forecast later. Today Mr. B and I are decluttering the kitchen cupboards. I’m sitting on a big cushion on the floor, emptying the lower cupboards. Mr. B is clearing the ones I can’t reach. So far so good, he hasn’t yet tried to throw out things I want to keep grin

Happy Monday all, and big hugs to those who need them,

B9exchange Mon 02-Aug-21 10:36:29

Good morning all, SW HErts is intermittently sunny, but not quite warm enough to sit out.

GrandmaFrench what a day for you, hope all goes smoothly. How disappointing for you Sars that's great news your appointment can go ahead. Poor you Harri, hope you have a better day today. Lovely photos today.

Friends dropping in today for lunch, only had 24 hours warning, hope my home made quiche is edible!

DH informs me he has used the last of the milk, will have to dash out before they come...

Jaxjacky Mon 02-Aug-21 10:18:49

Sar53 ??

dustyangel Mon 02-Aug-21 10:16:22

Good morning all from the sunny Algarve. The temperatures weren’t too stifling last week, keeping in the high twenties rather than tipping over into the thirties. Much easier to live with so I’m hoping for the same this week.

Yesterday we forgot to actually watch the London half Marathon until it was almost over and only as I started to catch up with social media remembered that our lovely Grandson was running. I feel so proud of him, it’s the second half Marathon he has completed now. I felt slightly irritated looking at some of the photographs as I realised that he had his phone in his hand as he ran but he redeemed himself in my eyes as he showed a condensed version of the race, sound included and unusual angles of various landmarks later in the afternoon.

Mapleleaf Mon 02-Aug-21 10:15:17

Good morning all from a brightening and warmish South Yorkshire. I think we are in for a lovely day. I've been out to water all the pots - despite the rain, they soon dry out.

Enjoy Alnwick castle Greyduster - the poison garden there is well worth a visit if you have time.

That's good news, Sar53.

? Harrigan.

Take care everyone.

Dogsmakemesmile Mon 02-Aug-21 09:58:44

Morning from a sunny Scottish Borders. Just spent half an hour sitting in the garden stroking Ddog's ears and catching some vitamin D and fresh air. Nothing planned bar walk to post box. A first with these crutches. Woman's Hour coming up. I subscribe to various magazines and have three sitting on the door mat. I am learning to wait and spread them out through the month. Will clean bathroom and attempt to scrub oven door later. Have a peaceful and hopefully pain free Monday everyone.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:54:52

That’s good news Sar53

Sar53 Mon 02-Aug-21 09:41:38

An update : I've just spoken to the hospital and they say that if I feel ok I can attend my appointment this afternoon.
I am really happy about this after waiting eight months for the appointment.

Anniebach Mon 02-Aug-21 09:22:09

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gelisajams Mon 02-Aug-21 09:15:17

Good morning from Shetland where it’s a bit brighter this morning. Yesterday we only moved out of the cottage to get an afternoon tea at the local community garden fundraiser as it was quite cold and occasionally wet.
We were ready for a lazy day.
Today is our penultimate day here. We are heading to the west of the island to walk.
Hope your appointments go well GF
Harrigran seems particularly down this morning, so ?
Hope Marydoll is feeling stronger too.
Take care everyone and stay safe ?

hollysteers Mon 02-Aug-21 09:12:38

Good morning Mick and all from Sunnyside, Lancashire coast.
Dentist for me this morning, first check up in a while.
Sister staying, so then meeting up in town for lunch and a fish and chip supper tonight, I cooked last night. Steady on Holly!
Yesterday to Augustus John exhibition, very bohemian lifestyle and good work.
My back is troubling me as usual but a back belt support helps. Very handy, with a Velcro fastening. I can still feel the aching, but can carry on walking about. Plus paracetamol.
Thoughts to harrigran hope the treatment goes well.
Have a good day.

Nannagarra Mon 02-Aug-21 08:53:53

Good morning from sunny Sefton.
My washing machine is due to be delivered today, after which I’ll get out on my bike.
Beautiful photos here - really enjoyable.
I hope appointments go well, that those who feel unwell soon improve and that GMers on holiday have a great time. Have the best day possible everyone.

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 02-Aug-21 08:45:53

Good morning all from bright Harrogate
That bicycle looks like something I’d get tangled in Ash
GrandMattie could do with you here to help me with the pinafore I’m making!!
Sars try asking for a cancellation then you won’t have to wait so long again.
Yesterday was my sister’s ? birthday so spoke on the phone. Today I chat to my school friend, then tootle about doing lots of nothings!!
Have a good day folks!

BlueSapphire Mon 02-Aug-21 08:43:58

Good morning everyone from a very bright and sunny ? Northampton. Just put a load of washing in as it looks set dry for the day. Spent yesterday doing a lot of nothing apart from the newspapers and watching the Olympics on tv. Must Hoover round as the cats appear to be shedding and there are clumps of white fur everywhere.

Lovely picture of Lindisfarne, Greyduster; remember a happy holiday in Northumberland with DH a few years back. We did the beach walk from Seahouses to Bamburgh Castle, also visited Alnwick and Dunstanburgh Castles.

Have got on the scales for my first weekly weigh-in since starting the NHS weightloss plan, and find that I have lost 2lb! My target is to lose half a stone, but ideally about 10lb.

A pleasant Monday to all.

baubles Mon 02-Aug-21 08:40:26

Good morning Mick, morning all from bright but cool South Lanarkshire.

Great photos this morning. We have so many stunningly beautiful places in these islands of ours.

Going shopping today for clothes for one of the DGDs for her birthday next week. She’s quite slightly built so I really need to see things to judge the size.

I also need a container for tea bags after DH dropped a thick bottomed glass jar full of them yesterday. The noise of it smashing on the worktop startled the dog and me. The day before that he broke one of my favourite glasses, I don’t know if it’s just clumsiness or something that I should be concerned about.

Last night I was reading a thread about easy recipes, I’d never heard of lemonade scones but I think I’ll give it a go. I’ll have to buy a bottle of lemonade first, perhaps not a glass one though.

Good luck with your appointments today gmfrench and NanKate, I hope you feel better soon.

Wishing everyone a peaceful day. ?

GrannySomerset Mon 02-Aug-21 08:38:43

Grey and damp start to an empty week. Must find something useful to do but am not sure what. Olympics may entertain DH a bit.

Sorry that a number of our regular posters are unwell and hope life perks up a bit. I am concentrating on not being snappy, which may take a bit if doing.

Elizabeth1 Mon 02-Aug-21 08:34:08

Good morning from a beautiful sunny start to the day here on the east coast of Fife. Thankfully I’m feeling so much stronger than I did yesterday due to having a mild form of hayfever and having to take an antihistamine which truly knocked me out until well over lunch time. I must see about getting a different antihistamine, one which doesn’t conk me out. Looking at my diary I’ve lots planned this week and must rise to the occasion.

My lovely niece is coming to stay for a few days and we’re having a rerun of our family bbq where folks couldn’t come to the previous one due to there being more family/friends than was lawful1

. Only 8 allowed indoors now must keep the numbers in line with the regulations and dae as I’m telt. grinIt’ll be the dull others who are coming to this one wink is the cold weather creeping back or is it just me feeling a little cold? That’s a change of wardrobe needed hmm
Have a good Monday everyone it’s a new day a new dawn flowers

Lins1066 Mon 02-Aug-21 08:27:05

Good morning from a brightish Welsh coast. A pleasant day yesterday weatherwise and took the dog for a walk along the beach, a beautiful sunset to end the day. We have a roofer coming at 10am to give us a quote, not much else happening today.
Enjoy your day everyone.