Gransnet forums

Chat

moving home only to regret

(61 Posts)
Maddison Wed 04-Aug-21 17:22:36

Just wondering if anyone could give me some advice?
We moved from a house into a bungalow 4 years ago
We settled in more or less straight away
We have renovated the bungalow throughout and in a few weeks are getting some of the windows replaced
We are in our seventies and this is our last home we bought the bungalow to make living easier as we get older
The last few weeks i have started thinking of our previous home and comparing it to our new one and i am having big regrets of moving i am really missing my lovely house i keep thinking why on earth did we sell it, there was nothing wrong with it! and finding fault in the bungalow comparing every single room and the outside space
i think this feeling has been coming on for a while a young couple moved in to the house at the bottom of the garden in the spring and they are really noisy when in the garden and have cut bushes down which has taken away our privacy we have had to buy some to try and get it back the other neighbours are lovely
i daren't tell my husband how i feel he wouldn't understand and wouldn't be happy with me, as we have spent all our savings on the renovation but i don't think i can settle back down and be happy i keep thinking this is not the forever home that i thought it was and i have made a massive mistake
i was just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them and could give me some advice?

Maddison Mon 09-Aug-21 16:40:43

NotSpaghetti

Is it possible that any bungalow would be less interesting than the home you left? I have been bungalow hunting a couple of years ago and most of them are very "straightforward".
Not dull or plain but sort-of "ordinary" really.

If you spend a massive sum (to me at least) you may get a unique architect designed one in a lovely setting but basically I felt they were mainly looking for functionality.

I think if I was older, functionality would be key. I would be less concerned about "character" (which our hard-to-clean Victorian home has in spades) and more bothered about ease of getting about, hoovering etc.
Is it possible that you suddenly feel you aren't quite ready for this?

I expect the new neighbours have just made you question what you are doing there when you were quite settled before.

your right thank you, we should have probably stuck to living in a house with a smaller garden we thought a bungalow would be good and it's a nice shaped one, not the usual corridor type we had a passerby asking us about two year ago if we were thinking of selling, he was interested, so i know it will sell at the right price they don't all that often come on the market and when they do their a silly price, will see what the new year brings if i can hang on in there with my feelings thank you for taking time to answer

NotSpaghetti Sat 07-Aug-21 17:30:30

Is it possible that any bungalow would be less interesting than the home you left? I have been bungalow hunting a couple of years ago and most of them are very "straightforward".
Not dull or plain but sort-of "ordinary" really.

If you spend a massive sum (to me at least) you may get a unique architect designed one in a lovely setting but basically I felt they were mainly looking for functionality.

I think if I was older, functionality would be key. I would be less concerned about "character" (which our hard-to-clean Victorian home has in spades) and more bothered about ease of getting about, hoovering etc.
Is it possible that you suddenly feel you aren't quite ready for this?

I expect the new neighbours have just made you question what you are doing there when you were quite settled before.

Maddison Sat 07-Aug-21 12:54:28

Thank you for all your messages,
Think i need to see this year out and see what the new year brings, i can't see me feeling any different so there is probably a chance that we will eventually move and hopefully i will be more settled it's not the area, it's the bungalow think i will always find fault with it or, maybe a sudden miracle will happen and i will like it again, time will tell
thank you everyone you are kind people

Eloethan Fri 06-Aug-21 17:58:41

From what you say, you were reasonably happy in your bungalow until fairly recently.

I expect the noisy neighbours haven't helped the situation but perhaps it's also because you have spent a lot of money on renovation and are feeling more financially vulnerable now, and/or perhaps the renovation hasn't been as satisfying to you as you had imagined it would be.

In some areas bungalows are not that commonplace and are much sought after. I believe they hold their value very well. If you continue to feel very unhappy, perhaps you could broach the subject of moving again if it is financially feasible. Unfortunately, though, prospective neighbours can move too and be replaced by troublesome neighbours so you won't necessarily be guaranteed the peace and quiet you would like.

Maddison Fri 06-Aug-21 13:28:16

Yes it does dent the confidence, Katyj and makes you ask why and wonder if their secretly thinking you shouldn't have moved that's what i keep telling myself though so if they are thinking that they are right just a few more jobs getting done here that are already booked in then i will give it until the new year and see how i feel, you only have one life and with us being at the older end you don't know what is around the corner but we both need to be happy to get back on track i hope i can thank you for your support it means a lot

Katyj Thu 05-Aug-21 13:31:54

Thank you Maddison. I resonate with what party 4 said too. No one has been to my home with the exception of one friend and paid me a compliment, I had lots at the other house regarding decorations etc, this house is very similar in furnishings ? makes you wonder ,
and does dent the confidence.

Maddison Thu 05-Aug-21 12:50:43

Party4

We downsized after 36yrs in our family home.The sale was at time when few propertys were available and I feel we
moved under pressure of availability.It is very small, ideal for DH and myself but we later went on to have 4 DGC.We made sure we had a dining room to entertain the family and have had all DGC to sleep using double air bed/pull out singles and have them weekly helping with care.The property is detached with loads of outdoor play area which kids love. No one has actually said anything complementary about the property, only to comment how lovely our old house was.We have little contact with neighbours they are young ,working, car drivers, busy with their own lives.Covid made me aware how isolated we are with no one to call on in an emergency.It would appear unless you have property with multiple large bedrooms with en suites,large open plan kitchens with islands,utility rooms,log burners and decked,pebbled gardens with bbq's,bars,hot tubs etc etc they are not worth buying.I am, like you worrying if did right by moving or is it how we are left feeling post covid and shielded.

party4 do you know i think you have hit the nail on the head when people see what we have bought we never get any one saying what a lovely area you live in what a nice property some have said i can't believe you have moved, i can't believe you've moved here! not oh you've transformed the property you've done the right thing downsizing! things like that can knock your confidence i don't think they realise they could be upsetting you i think we bought this in a rush without actually thinking about do we really want a bungalow we have only had houses the thing i can't understand is why i am feeling like this over 4 years on it's strange how your feelings work i think covid has had an effect and having to stay in a lot too it's okay for
people to have big houses multiple rooms etc... but have they got the big mortgage to go with them!! i hope you can stop worrying over your move it sounds like you have a lovely home take care

Party4

We downsized after 36yrs in our family home.The sale was at time when few propertys were available and I feel we
moved under pressure of availability.It is very small, ideal for DH and myself but we later went on to have 4 DGC.We made sure we had a dining room to entertain the family and have had all DGC to sleep using double air bed/pull out singles and have them weekly helping with care.The property is detached with loads of outdoor play area which kids love. No one has actually said anything complementary about the property, only to comment how lovely our old house was.We have little contact with neighbours they are young ,working, car drivers, busy with their own lives.Covid made me aware how isolated we are with no one to call on in an emergency.It would appear unless you have property with multiple large bedrooms with en suites,large open plan kitchens with islands,utility rooms,log burners and decked,pebbled gardens with bbq's,bars,hot tubs etc etc they are not worth buying.I am, like you worrying if did right by moving or is it how we are left feeling post covid and shielded.

party4 do you know i think you have hit the nail on the head when people see what we have bought we never get any one saying what a lovely area you live in what a nice property some have said i can't believe you have moved, i can't believe you've moved here! not oh you've transformed the property you've done the right thing downsizing! things like that can knock your confidence i don't think they realise they could be upsetting you i think we bought this in a rush without actually thinking about do we really want a bungalow we have only had houses the thing i can't understand is why i am feeling like this over 4 years on it's strange how your feelings work i think covid has had an effect and having to stay in a lot too it's okay for people to have big houses multiple rooms etc... but have they got the big mortgage to go with them!! i hope you can stop worrying over your move it sounds like you have a lovely home take care

Party4

party4 do you know i think you have hit the nail on the head when people see what we have bought we never get any one saying what a lovely area you live in what a nice property some have said i can't believe you have moved, i can't believe you've moved here! not oh you've transformed the property you've done the right thing downsizing! things like that can knock your confidence i don't think they realise they could be upsetting you i think we bought this in a rush without actually thinking about do we really want a bungalow we have only had houses the thing i can't understand is why i am feeling like this over 4 years on it's strange how your feelings work i think covid has had an effect and having to stay in a lot too it's okay for people to have big houses multiple rooms etc... but have they got the big mortgage to go with them!! i hope you can stop worrying over your move it sounds like you have a lovely home take care

Party4

Party4

Maddison Thu 05-Aug-21 12:50:04

Party4

Maddison Thu 05-Aug-21 12:33:38

Oopsadaisy1

I think it would be far cheaper to put a fence up at the bottom of your garden than move due to a noisy neighbour.
We did this at the start of last years lockdown, we had 2 sets of elderly neighbours, one died and their bungalow was turned into an enormous house and our other neighbours house will soon go on the market as he passed away too. So the possibility of noisy neighbours will be back with us,
but the fence will help.
I think that as you were happy before and all of the reasons for your move are still valid, once the country gets back to ‘normal’ (and your husbands health improves) you will be able to get out and enjoy life and your bungalow again.
The immediate problem is that you don’t drive so you are at home a lot of the time with a sick husband, time to start some hobbies or do online courses, zoom meetings with friends and lift yourself out of your rut.
Your old house has long gone and another new property might well have more problems, especially when trying to move and pack etc.whilst your DH is ill, not to mention the cost.
So, sort the fencing, let your husband recover and if you still feel the same next year, then maybe start to look around for something else.

Hi thank you for the good advice i think that next year if i feel the same i will have to talk to my DH about things i am sorry your mum feels she wants to move back to her old area it must be hard on you but you seem like a good daughter and it's in her own best interest to be near you hopefully, she will settle and realise she needs you, she is very lucky to have you

Maddison Thu 05-Aug-21 12:25:42

Katyj

Oh Maddison I do feel for you. I think what your feeling is a fed up ness if even that’s a word ? We moved house two years ago, unlike you I didn’t like mine from the beginning, we moved from a large new build house to a very small end terrace ? We had a horrendous house move everything that could go wrong did, and has continued ever since.
When I look back to before we moved, I feel I was much happier and healthier than I am now, I’m bone tired and stressed out. What I realised is we haven’t had any good times in this house yet, I’m hoping to change that, all be it slowly, my mums health has deteriorated vastly over the last two years plus the pandemic and lots of other things ? Like you there’s nothing else we can do to this house, it’s all been done, the change has to come from me, and maybe you. Try and forget about the house, the weather will be changing soon, focus on you and your husband, cherish your times together and get out and about when you can. Hopefully things will continue to improve, see how you feel next year. Good luck to you both .

thank you Katyj
your right only us can change it, i think most of my feelings are the fact that i moved from the house and miss it and then silly little things get to me maybe if our daughter didn't live abroad i would feel better i am sorry you are feeling similar hope your mum is okay think time will see how things are and hopefully improve my health was better in the house if only we could see into the future and not make the mistakes we made i really appreciate you taking time to comment take care Thank you

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 05-Aug-21 11:08:02

I’m afraid no planting along the boundary with the noisy neighbours will make much difference. On one side we have a lady with a very loud voice. We have dreadful mobile phone reception so she makes and takes calls in the garden. Despite having a high brick wall and dense planting of trees and shrubs, upwards of twenty feet tall, along that boundary I can still hear every word. And of course she entertains in the garden in warm weather. Thank goodness it’s only her second home so she isn’t there all the time. I can only suggest earphones (with or without music etc) and perhaps a good sized water feature by your seating area.

Katyj Thu 05-Aug-21 08:36:18

Oh Maddison I do feel for you. I think what your feeling is a fed up ness if even that’s a word ? We moved house two years ago, unlike you I didn’t like mine from the beginning, we moved from a large new build house to a very small end terrace ? We had a horrendous house move everything that could go wrong did, and has continued ever since.
When I look back to before we moved, I feel I was much happier and healthier than I am now, I’m bone tired and stressed out. What I realised is we haven’t had any good times in this house yet, I’m hoping to change that, all be it slowly, my mums health has deteriorated vastly over the last two years plus the pandemic and lots of other things ? Like you there’s nothing else we can do to this house, it’s all been done, the change has to come from me, and maybe you. Try and forget about the house, the weather will be changing soon, focus on you and your husband, cherish your times together and get out and about when you can. Hopefully things will continue to improve, see how you feel next year. Good luck to you both .

loopyloo Thu 05-Aug-21 07:59:51

Just a comment.... If you plant bamboo have it in pots! We inherited some that had been there since the 1950s and while it was beautiful the rhizomes grew everywhere.
We had to have it dug out.
Yes , noisy neighbours can be really depressing. I feel for you.
Try to get out and see your friends and moan to them. It works for me.

Allsorts Thu 05-Aug-21 07:41:18

Yabbie, what a lovely daughter you are.?
Maddison, it seems perhaps things are not looking so bad now. The privacy screen will soon grow, people will get back to work so hopefully it will be peaceful again,

Juliet27 Thu 05-Aug-21 07:29:46

School holidays don’t help if you have noisy neighbours. Maybe the situation will improve in the autumn if they’re school age but if younger then when the weather gets colder they’ll perhaps be in the garden less. There are noisy children in my area but we just have to make the most of the times when they are out. If your new windows are double glazed that will make such a difference to the amount you hear from the garden. I think it would be far less disruptive to try to adapt to the annoyances and make the most of times when the neighbours are likely to be out or, now we have a little more freedom, take a trip out when they are about. Certainly a fast growing barrier is a good start.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 05-Aug-21 07:07:00

Noisy neighbours would put the damper on things without a doubt! I must admit we wouldn’t like it, sadly though you just don’t know who is going to move where, I do feel for you though, using all your savings is difficult too, you seemed happy enough before these neighbours moved in, you sound very unsettled, if you move again you wont guarantee better neighbours that’s one of the risks you take when you move isn’t it, I wouldn’t be mentioning it to your husband, I think if it was me I’d be trying to make the most of what I have and what we have accomplished in the bungalow, as you can’t really do anything about noisy neighbours when they are out in their garden

Calendargirl Thu 05-Aug-21 07:03:39

I think what you said is very true Yabbie. It’s easy to think back to when we were younger, fitter, more active, more independent, and associate that with the property we lived in then.

Rose coloured spectacles.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 05-Aug-21 06:58:55

I think it would be far cheaper to put a fence up at the bottom of your garden than move due to a noisy neighbour.
We did this at the start of last years lockdown, we had 2 sets of elderly neighbours, one died and their bungalow was turned into an enormous house and our other neighbours house will soon go on the market as he passed away too. So the possibility of noisy neighbours will be back with us,
but the fence will help.
I think that as you were happy before and all of the reasons for your move are still valid, once the country gets back to ‘normal’ (and your husbands health improves) you will be able to get out and enjoy life and your bungalow again.
The immediate problem is that you don’t drive so you are at home a lot of the time with a sick husband, time to start some hobbies or do online courses, zoom meetings with friends and lift yourself out of your rut.
Your old house has long gone and another new property might well have more problems, especially when trying to move and pack etc.whilst your DH is ill, not to mention the cost.
So, sort the fencing, let your husband recover and if you still feel the same next year, then maybe start to look around for something else.

Yabbie Thu 05-Aug-21 06:49:14

This may be totally irrelevant and if it is I apologise.
My 94 year old mother moved about 18 months ago. She chose the house and the town. She moved to be closer to me because her original house was 3 hour drive away from me and her new house is a mere hour’s drive.
About 6 months ago she bitterly regretted moving. She was furious with me for making her move. She told me that she was going to move back and waxed eloquent about how much she loved her old home and hated the new place
The truth is that she is completely unable to go back. She can walk to the small supermarket from her new home but would be unable to walk to the shops from where she was before. She needs my help to organise just about everything from plumbers to paying bills
What she misses is not the old house but her old independence. I wish I could give it back to her
Could it be that there are aspects of your old life that you miss? Maybe you could identify those things and maybe you might be able to recreate them?
I’m not for a moment suggesting that you are at the same stage of life as my Mother, but perhaps you’ve had some difficult life changes along with the move?

Party4 Thu 05-Aug-21 01:50:41

NotSpaghetti Thu 05-Aug-21 01:36:08

Noise is very hard to live with. Try hard to focus on the sounds you do like.
You can't choose your neighbours unfortunately.
We now have a family with a dog (who barks a lot) next door instead of a couple in their 70s and just up the road, a few houses along, a man who loves to spend his spare time over the weekend revving up his noisy car.

It will drive you mad if you focus on it.
flowers