Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry’s juggling balls!

(134 Posts)
Bluebellwould Wed 04-Aug-21 17:29:04

Meghan is doing her serious promotion of her new ‘give 40 minutes’ chat and Harry is in the background juggling (or attempting to) and causing a disruption to the proceedings. I’m baffled as to why. Perhaps he’s getting over the saving the world claptrap and decided to take the p**s, or perhaps he just wanted attention like a child. It’s just so bizarre, or is it just me being a grumpy old bat?

merlotgran Fri 06-Aug-21 00:31:05

It's the kind of daft thing Tommy Cooper would have done.

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 22:03:08

Yes, I did think Morecambe and Wise but thought there was another one as well.

Anniebach Thu 05-Aug-21 22:01:13

Seeing Harry juggling balls has reminded me of the Harry we saw so many times having fun, the race with Husain Bolt, the
clip of him with the Queen I think using a mobile phone, his
acting the goat with his brother.

No scripted speeches about saving the world.

Sparklefizz Thu 05-Aug-21 19:00:51

Yes, Morecambe and Wise.

eazybee Thu 05-Aug-21 18:53:18

Was it Arthur Haynes? He used to appear upstage washing windows whist serious talks were going on.

V3ra Thu 05-Aug-21 18:21:32

Callistemon

Bluebellewould
I hope you don't think I was attacking you - I did really think the Meghan video with Harry playing the fool in the background was a spoof but it wasn't!

I keep trying to think which comedic clip it reminds me of - someone speaking seriously and the fall guy leaping around in the background making an idiot of himself.

flowers

Morecambe and Wise?

Maggiemaybe Thu 05-Aug-21 18:16:52

I don’t get why everything this couple does has to be rubbished. I’ve no time for the way they turned on their families and washed their dirty linen in public. But if they’d still been here, part of the Firm, this initiative would have been lauded and they’d have been applauded for at least trying to help others. What’s so bad about what Meghan’s doing? If only a few people are helped back into work - and they will be, those “friends” have contacts and influence - it’s worthwhile, surely? Professionals and business people who like the idea are signing up on the Archewell site to pledge much more than 40 minutes of their time to support and mentor others. As for the launch video, why so much scorn and derision? She’s wearing heels and some sort of stole, he’s clowning about in the background, she makes a couple of jokes…. There’s really not a lot to see here, folks.

Bluebellwould Thu 05-Aug-21 18:08:39

People’s widely varying opinions that I may or may not agree with is fine, how boring it would be if we all thought the same. It is just that there seems to be a few posters who seem to have a very vitriolic response to each other that takes the point of the post away and ends up with a bitch fest. Less hissy fits and more discussions on the point of the post is what I’m trying to say. Disagreeing with other posters is great and welcome.

Lucca Thu 05-Aug-21 18:08:13

Bluebellwould

I started this thread because we all know of Harry and Meghan and I thought the differing opinions would be interesting. I have not spoken a word to another human being for 3 weeks and Gransnet is a way of keeping contact with other people, even if I don’t always agree with what is written. Some people post with matters I don’t know about or not interested in so I don’t respond. Can people not comment on things without the same few people attacking one another all the time? For some of us widowed and isolated people Gransnet is a window into life beyond our very isolating walls and a very necessary tool to keep a little bit of brain ticking over. Perhaps there should be a list of safe topics that the holier than thou amongst us could approve.

I sympathise with you for your isolation and hope things will improve for you.

There is nothing at all wrong with starting any thread you like but people will disagree, it’s the nature of the beast and GN would be really dull if we did all agree !

Lucca Thu 05-Aug-21 18:06:12

62Granny

Never mind Harry juggling, which as others have said seems childish, why is she wearing 6inch heels to sit at a table in her own home, especially as the rest of her outfit is basically a vest and a hoodie?

Why the hell shouldn’t she ?!
Honestly anything at all to snipe at!

Lucca Thu 05-Aug-21 18:04:12

25Avalon

Lucca

25Avalon

Interestingly no sign of that smug smirk I dislike.

So why mention it !?

Because elsewhere I have criticised her for it whilst noticing previous photos of her show her with a normal smile. No sign of the smug smile so it obviously depends on certain circumstances such as putting the RF down.

“ No sign of the smug smile so it obviously depends on certain circumstances such as putting the RF down.”

I’m thought the famous smug smile was when she was walking up the aisle ?

maddyone Thu 05-Aug-21 17:52:04

Galaxy

People are free to express their views and Alegrias is free to give her views on those views, it's how it works.

Yes Galaxy you’re right, and I respect Alegrias’s views.

Callistemon Thu 05-Aug-21 17:50:20

Bluebellewould
I hope you don't think I was attacking you - I did really think the Meghan video with Harry playing the fool in the background was a spoof but it wasn't!

I keep trying to think which comedic clip it reminds me of - someone speaking seriously and the fall guy leaping around in the background making an idiot of himself.

flowers

MawBe Thu 05-Aug-21 17:42:41

Bluebellwould

I started this thread because we all know of Harry and Meghan and I thought the differing opinions would be interesting. I have not spoken a word to another human being for 3 weeks and Gransnet is a way of keeping contact with other people, even if I don’t always agree with what is written. Some people post with matters I don’t know about or not interested in so I don’t respond. Can people not comment on things without the same few people attacking one another all the time? For some of us widowed and isolated people Gransnet is a window into life beyond our very isolating walls and a very necessary tool to keep a little bit of brain ticking over. Perhaps there should be a list of safe topics that the holier than thou amongst us could approve.

That’s a sobering post Bluebellwould
Sometimes by the end of a weekend, I have spoken to nobody but the dog, so I have some idea, but three weeks!
Social media sites such as GN do give us a window to the outside world and a degree of communication. Not perfect, but better than nothing.
Only those who have experienced this will really understand.flowers

Galaxy Thu 05-Aug-21 17:37:47

People are free to express their views and Alegrias is free to give her views on those views, it's how it works.

maddyone Thu 05-Aug-21 17:25:17

I don’t disagree with you Alegrias about some of the things that are said about Harry and Meghan, but I will repeat that if people, whoever they are, are in the public eye, that other people will form opinions of them, either positive or negative. And I will go further in saying that people, whether on Gransnet or not, do have a right to express those opinions regardless of whether we agree with them or not. In the end, history will judge the actions of Harry and Meghan, because undoubtedly they will remembered in history, in just the same way as such people as Florence Nightingale, Pol Pot, and Edward V111 are remembered, and their actions judged favourably or negatively. I suspect they may be regarded in a rather more benign manner than Edward V111, and judged to be of little importance in the overall scheme of things. Who knows? I won’t be here to see it.

62Granny Thu 05-Aug-21 17:18:05

Never mind Harry juggling, which as others have said seems childish, why is she wearing 6inch heels to sit at a table in her own home, especially as the rest of her outfit is basically a vest and a hoodie?

Alegrias1 Thu 05-Aug-21 17:08:31

Thank you May7

May7 Thu 05-Aug-21 16:54:58

Agree Alegrias1 and if there was a like facility I would ?

grannypiper Thu 05-Aug-21 16:41:16

He was telling us all his circus is still rolling

Allsorts Thu 05-Aug-21 16:07:57

I don’t look at them, they bore me to bits, switch over for few minutes.

eazybee Thu 05-Aug-21 16:05:27

For all their faults, I think comparing M&H to Hitler and Henry VIII is a new low.

You do like to jump to conclusions, Alegrias, and put words into people's mouths. The names Hitler and Henry VIII were chosen for alliterative purposes, plus their activities are well documented and generate strong opinions. Mary, Queen of Scots and Marilyn Monroe if you prefer.

Anniebach Thu 05-Aug-21 15:49:56

Agree Bluebellwould

Alegrias1 Thu 05-Aug-21 15:43:28

I'm going to take a flying guess and think that I'm part of the group you call "holier than thou" Bluebellwould. Because I don't just sit here and scroll past the terrible things that are said about M&H time, after time, after time.

It doesn't just stay with criticising the video, wondering about their motives or so on, does it? The comments include calls for Harry to be neutered, calling him a fool, comments about him behaving like a child to attract mum's attention.

These are not neutral or even critical comments, they are pernicious and make me wonder what on earth motivates people to make such nasty and cruel comments, then to justify them with the retort that, basically, they deserve it and its just a bit of fun.

If they were standing there in front of us, would we say it? Would we tell a person they should be neutered? That they were an attention seeking fool? Because if we wouldn't, then we are cowards. And if we would, then we are bullies.

Bluebellwould Thu 05-Aug-21 15:22:52