Gransnet forums

Chat

60th present

(55 Posts)
DianaLouise Wed 15-Sep-21 21:30:28

I have got to buy a small gift for a friend whose 60th I have been invited to I want to spend about £30 any ideas gratefully received she is not into gardening unfortunately and does not like flowers or chocolates

Alioop Sun 19-Sep-21 12:37:21

What about buying a ticket for a show and one for yourself and have a lovely day out together.

batpat1 Sun 19-Sep-21 12:27:57

How about a charity donation in your friends name? I ask family and friends for this for Christmas and birthdays. I really don't need any more stuff, and I suspect this is true of many of us on here, but £30 could make a real difference to someone in dire need. A charity which helps women and girls perhaps?, eg Water Aid, Doctors Without Boarders, Save the Children, one of the charities trying to help refugees, mothers and children in war zones, eg the Yemen.... or support for a local food bank or homeless charity in the UK .... sadly the list just goes on and on....
Most organisations will send a card to acknowledge and send appreciation for a donation in sometime else's name I think

Farawaynanny Sun 19-Sep-21 12:17:08

Theatre token. They can be used at many provincial theatres as well as London theatres.

Oofy Sun 19-Sep-21 11:47:37

I just bought sil a box of selected British grown teas from Tregothnan online, which was much appreciated. If she drinks tea.
Have also sent vouchers for ordering a meal from Pasta Evangelists in recent months, to be used at recipient’s leisure

moobox Sun 19-Sep-21 11:47:11

I was looking at this website for a similar birthday : valentte.com/organic/home-fragrance-gift-box/#configuration
or I guess if I was attending in person something could be made up like that from local shops

Roxie62 Sun 19-Sep-21 11:23:01

What about a nice swarowski pen. I had one bought for my 60th and love it. Afteenoon tea is always very nice or a nice vase or wine glasses.

1summer Sun 19-Sep-21 11:21:00

Not for a birthday but someone kindly sent me a beautiful gift box from Bettys of Harrogate. It was a lovely treat.

cc Sun 19-Sep-21 11:02:44

I think taking your friend out for a meal sounds like the best idea.

Yammy Sun 19-Sep-21 11:00:58

You can commission maps of where they were born with the name and birthday written in calligraphy on them.
A newspaper for the day they were born and something advertised in it as a small present, like jacobs biscuits or soap that was around at the time.
A recipe book from the year they were born Bero comes to mind.

Neen Sun 19-Sep-21 10:58:15

I write poetry, so depending on how close you are, I'd need a few details about her and I'll happily write one free and email it to you then you can get a nice frame to pop it in. X

JuBut Sun 19-Sep-21 10:48:50

Something personal to them, or as others have suggested, afternoon tea, book tokens, vouchers for shop she shops at, eg M&S, Next, Amazon

Junesun Sun 19-Sep-21 10:47:29

I've just had a 60th birthday and my favourite gifts were a 1961 lucky sixpence necklace and bracelet which I love . I also had an engraved trinket box and a glass vase engraved . Hope this helps

lemsip Sun 19-Sep-21 10:47:16

I wouldn't want any stuff, was bought a dome with imitation small bouquet on a wooden base under it. made by 'shirylzee' not my thing at all not into ornaments of anytype at all. It sits on the side and I wish they'd saved their money but had to pretend to like it.

ShewhomustbeEbayed Sun 19-Sep-21 10:40:28

I have just bought a friend a bottle of flavoured gin with a glass, silent pool, I think.

crazygranny Sun 19-Sep-21 10:35:04

A delicious bottle of wine from Fortnum and Mason. They can deliver either to you or to her.

Hetty58 Fri 17-Sep-21 09:04:16

No more stuff - a day out with a picnic please!

Dottygran59 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:58:15

I'm with NotAGran - really don't like stuff, but afternoon tea with a lovely friend and a long natter would make me very happy indeed

Visgir1 Fri 17-Sep-21 08:56:23

My friend for her 60th was given a gift token for a Tattoo... And she went for it now has Bird on her butt!

NotAGran55 Thu 16-Sep-21 22:40:46

If I was your friend I wouldn’t want any of the things suggested.
I would much prefer a coffee and scone one afternoon and your company .

geekesse Thu 16-Sep-21 22:34:31

I received (and appreciated) lots of alcohol for my 60th. The best was a magnum of wine my son bought en primeur when I was 50 and laid down for ten years so we could open it on my 60th.

Beswitched Thu 16-Sep-21 11:42:16

Bottle of bubbly?

Shandy57 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:36:21

I've just found a wine tasting group near my friend, each session costs £20. I'm going to find a pretty wine stopper and hide the voucher in the box.

Witzend Thu 16-Sep-21 11:32:43

When in doubt, IMO, M&S or John Lewis vouchers will never be wasted, or end up in charity shops, which I suspect is the fate of a good many presents.

I recently sent M&S vouchers for a niece’s 50th - I stopped sending birthday presents years ago but a 50th is special. Had a lovely card thanking me for the unexpected present.

mumofmadboys Thu 16-Sep-21 11:19:35

If I was the friend, I would like a M and S voucher but then I am pretty boring!!

Newquay Thu 16-Sep-21 08:52:24

At our age I always think we have enough “stuff” so, as others have suggested, things like subscriptions to local gardens, magazines etc?
Although I have a friend who still writes letters so lovely stationery is always welcomed-or a box of assorted greeetings cards for all occasions