Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you like to join my merry band?

(103 Posts)
Bluebellwould Sat 18-Sep-21 09:51:20

In order to cheer myself up I thought I would start a band. Would anyone like to join me?
I can whistle and my knees click so I could be part of the wind and percussion section.
If you can play a real or odd instrument please join in.

25Avalon Sat 18-Sep-21 22:46:14

I am also very proud of my chicken impersonation which I can do to music. Maybe softly in the background? I can make it mournful, inquisitive, happy or whatever is required EP

ElderlyPerson Sat 18-Sep-21 22:42:00

25Avalon

I can blow across a blade of grass which makes a screeching sound or I can blow into my hands to make an owl hoot, and I can still whistle with two fingers in my mouth. Not assets required very much these days.

The owl hoot could be at the start of the recording, then a couple of unsung lines as just music, then the singing.

25Avalon Sat 18-Sep-21 22:37:00

I can blow across a blade of grass which makes a screeching sound or I can blow into my hands to make an owl hoot, and I can still whistle with two fingers in my mouth. Not assets required very much these days.

ElderlyPerson Sat 18-Sep-21 22:26:56

I have no idea about which key, I don't understand keys.

It might be something very simple but I just don't get it.

Even if I knew the theory of keys I could not then advise on the question you ask.

Alas, I don't play a musical instrument. I often sing around the house when doing housework as I like to sing but that is just home singing.

Something that I do wonder about, does anybody here know the answer, I saw once that German volksmusik sounds (different/better) than English music because the instruments are tuned to a different key not just for volksmusik I think, something about the tuning of instruments on the European mainland. Does that mean anything to anyone here please?

Oopsadaisy1 Sat 18-Sep-21 22:19:19

I can play the castanets, well I can if I can find the other one, I’ll have a hunt for it and let you know when I find it.
I also have some tappy shoes, so I can do that in time with the other instrumentalists ……

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 22:15:23

ElderlyPerson

Callistemon

I'll sing
(But the audience might ask for a refund)

Have you tried singing the song lyrics that I wrote please?

Which key please?

ElderlyPerson Sat 18-Sep-21 22:09:40

NotTooOld

I'm wearing a flamenco dress with my tambourine.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW9Ij5iVjEk

935 views so far.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuAH--aoqJw

13 views so far.

Wow, if it were not for this thread and your post I might never have seen those.

Sweetpeasue Sat 18-Sep-21 22:09:01

Okay with a mouth-organ.
Oh sorry! Wrong thread.

ElderlyPerson Sat 18-Sep-21 21:55:00

A piece of really almost magical effect is the changing of one word in what otherwise is a repeated chorus, as is in this song.

Can you spot it in this recording?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=26tIOTH2u4g

Some people recording that song, for whatever reason, sing the second chorus the same as the first chorus.

Lucca Sat 18-Sep-21 21:45:41

ixion

It would be nice to have a Wurlitzer. Just image the thrill of an organ rising up from the orchestra pit?

Sure you’re on the right thread ?!

NotTooOld Sat 18-Sep-21 21:40:05

I'm wearing a flamenco dress with my tambourine.

Parsley3 Sat 18-Sep-21 21:25:30

I’ve tuned my triangle and am ready to go. Is there a dress code? I like the fancy ball gowns favoured by the Andre Rieu musicians.

ElderlyPerson Sat 18-Sep-21 21:23:04

ixion

How many singers does your ouvre require, EP?

Well, I suppose only one would be required as a performance by a single singer would work.

If there were two then maybe each do a part solo and some together, as in this video.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOFVrDAnrGc

Or as a duet.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=abphZ3MCCus

which incidentally has subtitles in English

Or mixed differently like this

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJM34GoFdyY

So whoever is organising it all could divide it up as thought best depending how many people would like to sing.

One possibility is one or two main singers and others who like to sing to be backing singers or join in as a group for one part.

Yet I like inclusiveness, so any number from one to a googolplex would be fine. smile

Grannycool52 Sat 18-Sep-21 21:19:38

My tinnitus can be quite tuneful ?, but only I would hear it?

ixion Sat 18-Sep-21 21:14:18

It would be nice to have a Wurlitzer. Just image the thrill of an organ rising up from the orchestra pit?

NotTooOld Sat 18-Sep-21 21:06:42

I'll volunteer to be a dolly bird.

Bluebellwould Sat 18-Sep-21 21:01:27

We need a few dolly birds with trays to sell ice creams and popcorn or is that just for films?

NotTooOld Sat 18-Sep-21 20:52:20

I can rattle the tambourine quite well and also dance a bit if required? Also don't mind selling tickets.

ixion Sat 18-Sep-21 20:46:13

How many singers does your ouvre require, EP?

ElderlyPerson Sat 18-Sep-21 20:40:56

Callistemon

I'll sing

Have you tried singing the song lyrics that I wrote please?

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:31:47

????

Lucca Sat 18-Sep-21 20:29:25

Don’t worry I’ll deal with them!!

Callistemon Sat 18-Sep-21 20:27:43

I'll sing

Lucca Sat 18-Sep-21 20:24:55

ixion

You could be in charge of Front of House Lucca as well, in that case.
You know, sorting out the seating, no unnecessary comments, policing the eating: no noisy crisps or popcorn. Suitable gravitas for the occasion...

Probably better doing that yes as I have no musical ability at all

ixion Sat 18-Sep-21 20:16:20

You could be in charge of Front of House Lucca as well, in that case.
You know, sorting out the seating, no unnecessary comments, policing the eating: no noisy crisps or popcorn. Suitable gravitas for the occasion...