Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you think about when you think about nothing?

(5 Posts)
JaneJudge Sat 09-Oct-21 18:03:19

Oh early, please share if you do smile

I still haven't got round to listening/watching, will try and find time tomorrow. I was making the most of the last summer/autumn sun

Early Sat 09-Oct-21 16:02:04

Thank you Blossoming and JaneJudge. Your link lead me to this:

www.bbc.com/culture/article/20150619-why-dolls-houses-fascinate

I hadn't known that dolls' houses were once called baby houses.

I like the notion these are objects which evolve over time passing down the female line, generation after generation, each one adding to it - which is, in a way, what Lauren is talking about in the Foundlings film, people building on one another's creativity, being inspired by another generation.

The exhibition’s curator Alison Sage describes [a dolls' house] as “a collage almost of different memories, different associations… Just because something doesn’t quite fit it doesn’t mean doesn’t have a special place in this house.”

The image in the link you shared Jane of the room with the Princess and the Pea reminds me of the stack of quilting fabric that I have in my craft room and may nudge me to get on with some hibernating projects.

JaneJudge Sat 09-Oct-21 15:23:57

I love Lauren. Have you seen her dolls house?

Blossoming Sat 09-Oct-21 15:17:59

Thanks for this lovely link.

Early Sat 09-Oct-21 08:58:16

I was captivated by this short film, listening to children’s writer and illustrator Lauren Child.

foundlingmuseum.org.uk/events/what-do-you-think-about/

It’s about childhood, creativity, connectivity, curiosity and the happenstance events that may inspire us to think and go in the directions we do. The importance of art books, cinema, illustration and music to the childhood and adult imagination - or simply the way we connect with one another.

The Carlo Rovelli discussion she mentions is here:

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p09btpsj

If you have fifteen minutes, do take a look at the film. I’d love to hear stories of what (or who) inspired you to be creative as a child (and now) what inspired and inspires your children and grandchildren today … or anything really about what Lauren has to say.

At 7:40 minutes you may spot something that connects to another recent discussion here.