Gransnet forums

Chat

Ideas please

(9 Posts)
M0nica Mon 11-Oct-21 18:58:09

Rent a house in a historic/ tourist town where there is lots to do, so that everyone goes out during the day to do their own thing and only gather together in the evening for a meal together.

We did this for our 75th birthday/Golden wedding. Hired a house in the centre of Bath. There is so much to do there. It is also on the main London -Bristol line so days out to London or Bristol are possible. The two outdoor enthusiasts spent their time walking and cycling, the animal enthusiast was taken to Longleat. others visited sites that interested them in Bath. Everyone had a different holiday according their interests, and we all had a good time.

Kittye Mon 11-Oct-21 18:31:42

We took our sons and their families on a lovely break at Center Parcs. We had separate cabins for each family. There was so much for the grandchildren to do. We wouldn’t have done it as a couple but it was brilliant for families.

crazyH Mon 11-Oct-21 18:29:54

I recommend above if you are near Celtic Manor.

Aveline Mon 11-Oct-21 18:28:00

Rent a large place for two weeks and DD1 and family come for one week and DD2 for the next? Or rent three cabins so everyone has private space but can be all together at times too?

crazyH Mon 11-Oct-21 18:27:36

Neither do my daughter and middle son. The youngest son gets on well with his brother and sister, so he’s an ice breaker. The two daughters in law get on well, so do the grandchildren, although 2 of them are teenagers. However, I’ve booked us all into the Celtic Manor to have tea with Father Christmas and then, for dinner later. We will stay over and leave after breakfast. We do it most years and so far, no “blow out” at the table. Fingers crossed?

Soozikinzi Mon 11-Oct-21 18:17:55

We went to Center Parcs for a long weekend in 2 cabins for my 60th which worked really well and not all of mine get on great so I can definitely recommend that ! There’s stuff to do for different age groups. But I’ve noticed the prices have shot up since the pandemic! Hope you find something good!

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 11-Oct-21 18:07:40

Given what you say, it’s not a recipe for a happy holiday IMO.

JaneJudge Mon 11-Oct-21 17:50:46

rent cottages or lodges on a complex? so you all have your own space rather than one big house?

Hildagard Mon 11-Oct-21 17:48:18

Hi, I am one of those people that like to plan in advance and would like some input please. It’s my 70th in 18 months time and I would like to take the whole family away. So, I hear you say what’s the problem, well, several.
One, my daughters don’t get on too well. One happily married the other, it changes regularly! The ages of the grandchildren vary from 5 , 9, 13,14, and 19!
Am I trying to achieve something impossible?