Gransnet forums

Chat

Pontins cheap breaks

(19 Posts)
Neen Mon 11-Oct-21 22:36:18

I know they arent for everyone but you don't have to do stay up for the entertainment if you don't want to. So Pakefield one I go to, is over looking the beach and half board. I come for a break, alone, it's an adult site and I bring a book and paper to write letters. The jacket potatoes and salads are pretty lovely too and yes dated and yes i usually book club chalet or bungalow not a standard chalet and I do a little bingo and have nice walks, and rarely see or hear the caberets. Everyone is smiley and loves the bargain price.
Why are some people so down right rude about the place, if it's not your thing, that's fine but unless you've been why do people generally diss you for going when they've never been. It baffles me.
I mean it's ok to not like it, of course it is, but why say such negative stuff when it turns out you've never been.

Blossoming Mon 11-Oct-21 22:44:56

My mother used to go there in her rôle as a St. John’s nurse to support groups of physically impaired people. It was their only chance of a holiday, and she enjoyed helping them. You enjoy it Neen, there’s enough misery around at the moment.

tanith Mon 11-Oct-21 22:56:37

We went to Pontins Brean sands a few years ago for a short break which was dire to say the least. No idea about entertainments but the chalet was grubby and that’s putting it mildly, we stayed only one night then left and stayed in a B and B for the other 2 nights.
I hope you’re experience is better and you enjoy it.

Bixiboo Mon 11-Oct-21 22:59:06

It baffles me too Neen, I think some people get a kick out of dissing a place they’ve never visited. It sounds lovely with the nice walks and a game or two of bingo. I know few people who have paid thousands of pounds on holidays and hated every minute for various reasons. You go for it and have a lovely time.

Neen Mon 11-Oct-21 23:01:55

Thank you Blossoming.

Yes I enjoy Pakefield tanith. The club apartment clean and staff nice and the food I find fine too. Location lovely and it feels like a holiday and so cheap. Plus walking distance to Morrisons etc
I open the patio doors a little and read. Chatter with randoms from time to time and feel refreshed.

Dogsmakemesmile Tue 12-Oct-21 11:19:39

Have a lovely time Neen. Sounds great. It works for you. It is a bit bizarre people have strong opinions on things they have not experienced.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Oct-21 11:28:30

I haven’t been to Pontins but I have lovely memories of Pakefield (and Lowestoft but it’s very different now with the loss of fishing) from childhood holidays. Enjoy your breaks there Neen. It’s nice to find somewhere you enjoy and can look forward to going back to.

henetha Tue 12-Oct-21 11:43:17

I like the sound of this. I might well give it a go next year.
I don't know where Pakefield is so I will have to Google it.
I hope there is one somewhere near the west country.
Oh, I think someone mentioned Brean Sands, I can easily drive there. But it's not good?

tanith Tue 12-Oct-21 11:57:28

It was several years henetha if the cleaning has improved it’ll be fine it’s a lovely area to explore.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 12-Oct-21 12:56:32

Unfortunately henetha Pakefield is on the east coast in Suffolk just outside Lowestoft.

MerylStreep Tue 12-Oct-21 13:09:55

My friend persuaded us to go to this site in 2019.
I knew her standards weren’t as high as mine but good lord is was awful ?
The main entertainment hall absolutely stinks of hot dogs and chips. And the carpet is so awful that you stick to the floor.
The cabins are rank. Dirty, poor bedding and if that’s what they call a mattress, well !!!
The food was indescribable bad.
We stayed one night
My friend went last week and came home 2 days early because of the food. And she’s been going there for years.
If you are thinking about it: I have warned you.

rosie1959 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:17:52

I have been to a Potins once not something I would want to repeat.
If we were to choose a place near Lowestoft it would be Pottersholidays.com Entertainment and food on a different level prices are now fully inclusive of all drinks

Shinamae Tue 12-Oct-21 13:19:27

Not Pontins but I am taking my grandson to Butlins Minehead this weekend from Friday evening till Monday morning. The last time I was there was 1977 when I used to work there so it will be very interesting to see how much it’s changed..

sodapop Tue 12-Oct-21 13:51:17

I lived not far from Pakefield and Pontins always had a bad reputation for cleanliness and food. I have to say that was 15 years ago so I have no idea of the current situation.

Daisend1 Tue 12-Oct-21 13:59:23

Great fan of holiday camps when family were small.We did the rounds.Happy days.

Kim19 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:30:09

Personally, I haven't heard much that would entice me to Pontins from my friends but I just wanted to say I like your style and attitude, Neen. If it suits you and you go for it on your own and enjoy so doing then bravo to you. I have very happy recollections of a cheap holiday at Butlins when the children were small. I would have preferred five star anywhere but..... we cut our cloth.......

blue25 Tue 12-Oct-21 14:34:07

I’ve been to a Pontins and it was absolutely grim. There was blood and faeces in our room. We didn’t stay long! I’d rather stay at home than go again.

Forsythia Tue 12-Oct-21 21:34:25

We did Butlins at Minehead 30 years ago when the children were under 10 and this was what we could afford. It wasn’t dirty then and the food was quite suitable albeit chips featured a lot. On the plus, the chalet was very clean, the kids loved it there with the little kids club and it suited us at that period of our lives. I’ve no idea what they are like nowadays.

Franbern Wed 13-Oct-21 14:19:28

In the 70's would take the children to Butlins (self-catering). Once inside all entertainment was included - so, the children would go on all the rides in the fairground. join in the Redcoat led games (pirate hunt,etc ) use both indoor and outdoor swimming pools, go to children's shows in the evening and I could go to the adult shows, etc. So, knew exactly what it was costing me.
My children would be given a small amount of spending money each day for the chore of taking the bucket of dirty nappies to then nursery and bringing back the clean ones. This money was spent on sweets or in the arcades according to their own inclinations. Really hot days we would leave the camp by the beach gate and spend the day making sand castles, etc.
One time I was there totally by myself with six children aged 1 year, 3 yrs, 4 yrs 2 x 7 yrs and a 9 year old. Yes, it was probably one of the most relaxing and enjoyable holiday I ever had.
All very different now. When I last visited one of my AC who had takne their family to a Butlins, found that everything cost extra. Chips and fried foods were the order of the day - (at least with self-catering I awas able to keep mine on a their normal diets). As people would no longer leave their young children asleep in the chalets (as we could), these poor little things were being dragged around by drunken parents, swearing and smoking well up to midnight.
The atmosphere was horrible, and I would never go near one again.