Gransnet forums

Chat

Love notes

(73 Posts)
Tizliz Thu 14-Oct-21 14:05:07

The last time my husband wrote me a love note must be 45 years ago, he doesn’t do romance. This morning I was ill with a migraine and he waited in for the Tesco delivery and put it all away which was great. Then he went to work. I got up half an hour ago to find he had finished our new jigsaw whilst waiting, he left the last piece for me to put in with a note ‘I would have left my last rollo if I had one’. Has an alien ship come down in the night and replaced him ? love him dearly but this is so unlike him.

Does your OH do love nots

Summerfly Fri 15-Oct-21 11:04:10

GrammarGrandma. Mine too. Flowers, notes. I can be a grump at times, so feel very lucky.

icanhandthemback Fri 15-Oct-21 11:05:45

That is lovely, Tizliz. My husband doesn't do notes but every so often he'll say things like, "I've just fallen in love with you all over again," or "I've just remembered why I love you so much." He isn't even drunk sometimes. ?. I do sometimes wonder what he feels the rest of the time but mostly I take it as a positive.

Fernbergien Fri 15-Oct-21 11:27:57

My husband said something very romantic. When you were in hospital ( I was quite ill) I kept thinking that I wished they would would send her home - so I can have a decent meal.!!!

cc Fri 15-Oct-21 11:32:47

My DH doesn't write love notes, in fact I don't think he ever has, he'd think it was sloppy. However he does do nice things for me, buying me special treats when he goes to the supermarket or making me cards for birthdays, anniversaries and Christmas during lockdown.
He does seem to have mellowed since retirement, but perhaps it is the large amount of Beta blockers he takes for his heart condition! I think that the medicatioin is definitely the reason for his less aggressive driving, though he does drive like an old fart now, cruising along in the middle of the road at 25 mph.

BlueSapphire Fri 15-Oct-21 11:40:59

I remember one Valentines Day when I was still teaching and DH was 'in-between jobs'. He always used to make my packed lunch for work, and I was expecting the usual ham/cheese sandwiches. Imagine my surprise in the staffroom to find delicious smoked salmon sandwiches with black pepper and a wedge of lemon wrapped in clingfilm! No love note needed! I miss him so much.....

muse Fri 15-Oct-21 12:01:14

Tizliz and Aldom. ?.

We’ve been together for 7 years and write them to each other. I’ve kept them all. Mostly written if either of us are away. Since COVID that rarely happens but a few months DH was clearing a fallen small tree and bought in this sawn off piece for me.

glammanana Fri 15-Oct-21 12:43:53

muse how lovely is that it's so adorable,my late darling man always told me he loved me everyday and called me his Queen I was truly blessed to have had such a wonderful man in my life x

MissMellie Fri 15-Oct-21 12:43:55

How lovely! My husband and I both leave notes from time to time. Usually when one of us goes off somewhere, even for just a bit.

Naninka Fri 15-Oct-21 13:02:05

This post has warmed the cockles... I've just looked up and smiled at my husband.
He responded with: "What's up, pet?" (He's a Geordie.)
Me: "I was just thinking how much I love you!"

It's going to be a fab weekend! xx

Tizliz Fri 15-Oct-21 13:13:12

Mixed lot aren’t they!

widgeon3 Fri 15-Oct-21 13:45:51

My husband ( in truth somewhat weedy) would have thought himself far too macho to express any appreciation for much at all just the occasional curt ' thank you'

I used to suffer occasionally from tonsillitis and once, one afternoon during the worst attack ever, he asked me if I would like anything.... in itself a shock. I replied that a newspaper might be interesting as I could not envisage eating or drinking anything
We live nearly 2 miles from the nearest newsagent along a narrow winding lane
He said he was going for a walk. Two hours had passed and heavy rain had started. I began to get worried. After almost 3 hours he returned, soaked to the skin carrying a newspaper I said I had been concerned and he explained that the newsagent had sold out of papers so he had continued to the nearest town, making a round journey on foot of almost 8 miles in the rain
Otherwise he had given me a bedraggled etiolated 3 leaved cheese plant after an argument. His father had died when he was young so I guess he had had no role model and was not too imaginative
Nearly 60 years later we are still together

Smileless2012 Fri 15-Oct-21 13:51:25

That's lovely Tizliz. Mr. S. leaves notes very occasionally which I love but often brings me flowers which I love even more.

Yesterday when he returned from playing bowls, he gave a a little white teddy bear that he'd spotted because he knows I love soft toys. It's one that you can heat in a microwave to warm it up but I wont, just in case.

kevincharley Fri 15-Oct-21 14:02:35

Mine can't even say I love you without sounding like he's doing the drunken 'I really, really luv yooo' so he stopped as it always made me giggle.
I was hospitalised earlier this year, with covid, so he was at home worrying. For the first time in years he managed to sound genuine when he told me over the phone that he loved me.
So accept the note, cherish it, and question the sentiment.

kevincharley Fri 15-Oct-21 14:03:46

That should, of course read 'don't question the sentiment'!

kwest Fri 15-Oct-21 14:51:36

Mine is incredibly kind and thoughtful. He does not do Valentines Day because he thinks we should show our love every day and not because someone else tells us to. He finds nice gardening things for me on the internet and sends for them as a surprise. He vacuums the house and sorts out the dishwasher. He kisses my toes when I am not expecting it. He does all the heavy stuff in the house and garden. I love him more than I can say.

Moth62 Fri 15-Oct-21 15:10:24

No love notes usually from Mr M, but he has just spent the summer waiting on me hand and foot as I lay on the settee with a broken leg! Years ago, when I was expecting one of our boys, I craved Diet Coke and prawn cocktail crisps. Off he went in the tractor to the local pub, two miles down the road, to get them for me!

Artaylar Fri 15-Oct-21 15:22:22

I got love bombed in the early days of meeting DH in 2008, with texts, poems and stories.

Not so much now - the only texts I get nowadays are for dental appointment reminders.

Never mind, it was nice while it lasted and he still has his occasional 'moments'.

Unigran4 Fri 15-Oct-21 15:47:02

Artaylar
I got love bombed by my ex too in the early days - poems, love notes, tokens, but not only did he leave me, he changed my name in some of the poems to send to his new lady-love!

He left me with two tots in 1977 and there's never been anyone else (long story) but I'd give anything for someone to leave me love notes, occasionally me flowers, do little kind deeds.

Treasure them, or their memories ladies (and gentlemen). However unromantic they may seem, it is better than nothing, believe me!

Unigran4 Fri 15-Oct-21 15:47:59

"..occasionally bring me flowers..."

Artaylar Fri 15-Oct-21 15:57:10

I'm really very sorry to hear how it turned out for you Unigran, you sound like someone very nice who deserves some love notes and flowers.....hope some come your way soon.

In the meantime, here are some from me {flowers} and a {cupcake} too.

Artaylar Fri 15-Oct-21 15:58:00

Cripes, I',m so rubbish at these emoticons.

MerylStreep Fri 15-Oct-21 16:09:39

How lovely to have a thread where we can say how lovely and kind our husbands are, thank you.
Mine isn’t romantic although I do get flowers every week.
I do know that I come first in everything he does and thinks about.
And like somebody else mentioned, mine is a wonderful nurse.
I’m afraid I’m not ?

DanniRae Fri 15-Oct-21 16:54:43

Ataylar - you need to put [ ] either side of what you are sending. The ones below the curvy ones that you used. If you then 'Preview Message' it will show if you have done it correctly.
Good Luck!

Davida1968 Fri 15-Oct-21 17:24:37

No love notes, but frequent daily kisses & cuddles. Also wonderfully cooked meals & endless household tasks. Not to mention wonderful company, & a great sense of humour. I am blessed.

MerylStreep Fri 15-Oct-21 17:34:13

Davida
Cooked meals. Same here. Haven’t had to food shop or cook it for 20 years. He also gives me a choice every morning ?