Gransnet forums

Chat

Cheque Books.

(156 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 23-Oct-21 18:22:58

Don’t write cheques very often, but did today to send off a donation to charity. Realised at end of cheque book, tried to order one online, no way! Went on the live chat, but sadly, the digital assistant seemed never to have come across such a thing as a cheque.

Don’t want to reveal which bank, but just wonder if anyone else has found this. And yes, I know I can use my card, and I pay tradesman directly into their account etc, utilise direct debits and standing orders frequently, but I do feel that very occasionally, I want to write a cheque.

Am I such a rarity?

Calendargirl Tue 02-Nov-21 17:58:32

Just a P.S. from my OP.

I texted a friend who works in my bank and said I couldn’t seem to order a cheque book online.

She promised to order me one, but said their use is ‘discouraged’ and ‘they don’t make it easy’.

It arrived in the post.

Will use them sparingly.

Audi10 Tue 02-Nov-21 17:49:23

It must be ten years since either of us used a cheque book

Marydoll Mon 01-Nov-21 19:36:43

Paypal have the recipient's bank details, they aren't visible to you.
However, the recipient does need Paypal account and a verified bank account to receive the money.

Alegrias1 Mon 01-Nov-21 16:32:04

Grandma2213

Thanks Alegrias1. I do use Paypal for paying for various online purchases but that just involves clicking the button. I'll have to investigate that but do you not have to know the recipient's bank details first?

I think what happens is that the bank details are held by PayPal, so you just need to look somebody up by their name. A bit like you are already doing, I think? They have to be registered with PayPal though.

Might be worth investigating?

Calmlocket Mon 01-Nov-21 09:31:22

Out of interest I looked at my cheque book and saw that the last cheque I wrote was in 2015 when I paid the painter/decorator. The one before that was 2012. Wonder if they will ever become obsolete.

Grandma2213 Mon 01-Nov-21 02:14:49

Thanks Alegrias1. I do use Paypal for paying for various online purchases but that just involves clicking the button. I'll have to investigate that but do you not have to know the recipient's bank details first?

Susie42 Sat 30-Oct-21 10:58:30

AlisonKF
I also bank with Coop and, if you check their website it gives details of where to send cheques for paying in. Don’t use the Post Office for paying in cheques as it takes for ever to go through.

Alegrias1 Sat 30-Oct-21 10:45:12

Grandma2213

I still send cheques as birthday/Christmas gifts to nieces and nephews etc. Is there another way of sending money without having to know their bank account numbers or cash in the post (which I have never trusted)? All of my other banking activities are online or by card.

Paypal.

welbeck Sat 30-Oct-21 02:27:16

what about sending postal orders.
www.postoffice.co.uk/postal-orders

Grandma2213 Sat 30-Oct-21 02:02:58

I still send cheques as birthday/Christmas gifts to nieces and nephews etc. Is there another way of sending money without having to know their bank account numbers or cash in the post (which I have never trusted)? All of my other banking activities are online or by card.

AlisonKF Fri 29-Oct-21 19:44:18

I fefuse to bank online, BUT it takes a minimum of one hour to get a reply to a phone call to the Coop bank which I stay with on account of it's ethical stand point despite constant changes of ownership. The nearest branch is 30 miles away. I have a cheque a year old which I don't know how to cash or transfer to my account as I have no link with a branch. I send my grown grandchildren cash for birthdays and Christmas inside a card as they could not handle cheques either. So far it has worked. No loose change of course.

Marydoll Wed 27-Oct-21 08:04:33

My account number is also on my card and has been for as long as I remember.
For some reason, I have a talent for remembering long numbers, bank accounts, NI, NHS CHI number and mobile phone numbers, yet I cannot remember what I have come upstairs for.

infoman Wed 27-Oct-21 06:09:59

growstuff
Correct answer,it was in the days of thirty pound a day maximum withdrawl,if I recall correctly.
It was to stop you going from your bank to another branch to withdraw cash when you might not have had sufficent funds.
No bank guarentee cards bank in the day.

growstuff Wed 27-Oct-21 05:34:27

infoman

I know the answer, but and slightly off topic,
can anyone remember what the "calender" was used for at the end of cheque book?

If you used your cheque book to withdraw cash, the cashier used to put a mark on the date on the calendar. If my memory serves me correctly, you were only allowed to make one cash withdrawal a day.

growstuff Wed 27-Oct-21 05:31:21

Floradora9

jocork

I paid my council tax by cheque until Covid when I started paying online. Recently the online payment system failed so I wrote a cheque and took it to the post office then later found the online payment that claimed to have failed went through the next day! Just as well I noticed! I don’t always check my credit card statement that carefully but was looking for something in particular. I’ll be checking every month now and will pay council tax by cheque too since I clearly can’t trust their payment system! Our council recently went bankrupt so perhaps that had something to do with it! I tried the phone line and was put through to a council 200 miles away! Not trusting them at all now!

Your account number is not on you bank card your sort code and long number of the card itself are on it plus dates for being valid . The long number is read by the bank and from this they get your account number .

My account number is on my card.

allule Wed 27-Oct-21 05:23:53

I decided to join U3A. Did it all in a very up to date way, downloaded application form, filled it all in using Adobe fill and sign.pasted signature. All done.
Then I went to pay the subscription and was amazed to find I could only join at a meeting, or send a cheque! No way to pay online.
The thought of finding cheque book, remembering how to write cheque, finding envelope and stamp and getting to a postbox was enough to put me off, and I decided to wait until they restarted meetings.

welbeck Tue 26-Oct-21 23:13:32

Floradora9

Your account number is not on you bank card your sort code and long number of the card itself are on it plus dates for being valid . The long number is read by the bank and from this they get your account number .
Sorry I used the wrong quote someone said the card showed your account number and it does not.

pretty sure mine, both of them, have my a/c number on, at the foot, next to sort code. ?

Wheniwasyourage Tue 26-Oct-21 15:58:22

Yes you can, Floradora, and our account still has the same number and sort code that it always has had, but only because we allowed it to go to the place where RBS wanted it, not where it would have been convenient for us. It was the branch in that place who were very unhelpful about letting us move to them without doing all the work of changing ourselves (I know the number and sort code would have changed), which made me wonder what would have happened if we had moved to the other end of the country.

Shelagh6 Tue 26-Oct-21 15:08:48

Oh yes, I like paper ‘everything’! An iPad surely can’t file everything! I wouldn’t know how to anyway……

Floradora9 Tue 26-Oct-21 15:00:37

You can use another branch without changing where your account is based. Our RBS branch closed some years ago but I still have the same account numbers sort codes etc. . You can pay in cheques and get money from any post office which we do quite often . I love internet banking but am careful not to log on anywhere insecure and am aware of all the scams .

Saetana Tue 26-Oct-21 14:34:20

No, definitely not, I have zero need for a cheque book anymore. I occasionally receive cheques, fortunately our bank has now added cheque depositing to its mobile app so they can be paid in remotely and cleared within a day or so. I pay by direct debit, debit card/contactless, direct transfer and Paypal.

infoman Tue 26-Oct-21 13:23:40

I know the answer, but and slightly off topic,
can anyone remember what the "calender" was used for at the end of cheque book?

Wheniwasyourage Tue 26-Oct-21 12:39:37

You're right, vickymeldrew. I used to visit our bank branch regularly, then they closed it and told us to go 11 miles to the next one. Then they closed that one (which was a bit of a surprise, as they hadn't warned the staff, let alone the customers) and told us to go 40+ miles to another branch in a town which we pass through but don't have reason to visit. I asked if we could move in the other direction to a town 18 miles away which we do visit regularly. They said we could, but would have to do the whole thing ourselves, and couldn't use our previous account numbers not the account switching service. We would move away from RBS but the choices round here are limited. Getting used to online banking with the building society, so we may end up going with that. angry

Sorry, that was a diversion from the main thread. Just wanted a rant!

Keffie12 Tue 26-Oct-21 12:27:25

How strange. I was clearing out my file the other day. It's bizarre how much gets in there as I have paperless bills now.

I found a cheque book right at the bottom of one of the file separators. It was battered and bruised. It must be 5-6 years easily since I wrote a cheque.

Its very rare I have cash on me, either these days. It was like that pre pandemic so it isn't just something that crept up from Covid19

Cheques will eventually be discontinued. I pay for everything by card, online banking etc

vickymeldrew Tue 26-Oct-21 03:05:02

It’s a myth that we should use bank branches in order to keep them open. Visiting a branch and using their services is a free service to us which provides no income or profit to the bank . Unless we use a visit to buy investment products, insurances or borrowing there is only a cost to the bank not a benefit.