Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you tell your AC arrangements for when you die??

(127 Posts)
Franbern Mon 25-Oct-21 11:19:28

Not sure how to title this discussion. I am just wondering if I am weird in that I do try ensure that my AC (Particularly the one who lives close by), know exactly where all paperwork is for when I do eventually die.

I have all the deeds and paperwork related to my flat in a file in a drawer, in aanother drawer are what I call my 'Private Papers' which contain, birth certificate, etc. main copy of my will ( all my AC have a photocopy of this), details as to who will need contacting, etc. etc. I have made sure that she knows where these papers are, and the drawers are labelled.

Both my two eldest daughters also know the code I use for my credit cards, etc. and how to be able to obtain easy access to my accounts.

I feel that this is important part of parenting. It will be difficult enough for them when I do die, and I want to make those first few weeks as easy as I can for them,. I have little concern as to how I get cremated, etc. although have also left them details of the local humanist society celebrants,

When my Mum died all that had to be sorted was her funeral, but after my fathers' death had to cope with sorting everything out (both their clothes, and furniture, etc. etc. - Wished I had listened to him more closely when he had tried to inform me about some things. And, there was no property involved then.

Do other people on here do this?

My older brother used to really annoy me when I used to ask him about any arrangements he had made and he always replied 'Won't be his problem'. He was correct!! It was mine, and I really resented it.

I am not gloom and doom - but accept, that I will eventually die (hopefully well before my remaining five AC). We all know the responsibility of making wills, but these other arrangements - how many people do put them in place?

Chigleys Tue 02-Nov-21 16:18:14

I think it’s best to speak to them or leave some requests in writing. It is stressful enough dealing with the loss, best to help them know your preferences.

Shandy57 Sun 31-Oct-21 18:10:09

NI - it mentions the deceased's religion!

EmilyHarburn Sun 31-Oct-21 14:41:04

This link may help organise the complexities
www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/documents-and-information-needed-when-someone-dies

Not sure which government list this is though.

MissAdventure Sun 31-Oct-21 12:36:12

Not much of a bargain, then, really?
I need to do some proper research on this, I reckon.
A lot of them seem to add in extras, with added costs onto the advertised price.

Shandy57 Sun 31-Oct-21 12:18:50

It seems odd MissAdventure - it would be £995 for my kids to organise the cremation when I've died, but would cost me £1500 to pay for it in advance. I might as well give them £1K to keep for it!

MissAdventure Sun 31-Oct-21 12:07:09

I've just been googling around, and £995 seems to be about the kind of price range.

Shandy57 Sun 31-Oct-21 11:40:22

I looked at the Co-op direct cremation @Hetty58, seems the ashes aren't included in the price of £1500. Where did you go please?

Hetty58 Sun 31-Oct-21 10:26:23

It's best to write everything down - and make sure that they know where important documents are kept.

A friend has both POAs for her mother - yet still was unaware that they are cancelled at death. Banks will usually release money for a funeral (to the funeral directors) when shown a death certificate.

I have already arranged (and paid for) my unaccompanied cremation. My daughter just has to inform them - and my ashes will be delivered to her. Family can have a get-together and scatter them when convenient. No funeral means less stress for them.

Tanjamaltija Sun 31-Oct-21 06:02:39

"Both my two eldest daughters also know the code I use for my credit cards, etc. and how to be able to obtain easy access to my accounts..." They can't - all monies will be frozen. I have written what I want (no flowers, colourful clothes, etc)... they know where the letter is.

Shandy57 Sat 30-Oct-21 15:43:28

Thanks PennyWhistle, that's better than the list I've been compiling myself.

PennyWhistle Fri 29-Oct-21 16:24:16

Age UK also provide a good template for an 'Inevitability Box' contents: www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/end-of-life-planning/lifebook/

Shandy57 Fri 29-Oct-21 11:54:14

I've just printed out the Age UK article 'What to do when someone dies - what should I do next?' for my kids, and am using it to compile my paperwork. Very useful.

Fudgemonkey Fri 29-Oct-21 08:21:43

PS - make a Will it's easier for those left behind. smile

Fudgemonkey Fri 29-Oct-21 08:20:55

My 2 children and step son all know what's in our Wills, treated equally and there's also money left for the dog(s) we may have when we go. Currently we have 4 grin

absam1 Thu 28-Oct-21 11:54:06

After having to deal with my father's affairs when he didn't have a will, then my mother's and in-laws (my father-in-law kept every share he'd ever bought but didn't say that he'd actually sold many of them - so I spent hours contacting various companies, we decided we didn't want our children to have to go through this. We continually update a document we have where we have listed all our utility companies and account numbers, our solicitor, accountant and bank contacts. Who to go to for advice on anything relevant to us. We recently updated our will which includes a section on all our digital affairs. (Watched a programme recently when a young wife and mother couldn't access her late husband's family photographs and videos because she didn't have his passwords). Have also told Facebook that our Facebook accounts can be accessed following our demise by our daughter and son and also did the various powers of attorney necessary for both of us - so our children wouldn't have to worry about it should we suddenly get ill. We have given each of our children a copy of this and told them where the original is kept - and if there are too many new changes, give them a new copy each.

SusieB50 Wed 27-Oct-21 14:47:21

Very important to discuss with family . The will was redone after DH death Dec 2019 . I have had several discussions with AC and my lovely in-laws. POA financial done but not health yet as I’m still thinking about it, I really do not want to be here without my faculties mentally or physically , the family know this ..
All the financial paperwork/ on line stuff is in order although probably need to check up again regarding bank accounts etc . The Age UK book sounds good and will purchase I think . My mother had kept her address book up to date so we were able to inform her friends of her death which was helpful so must put my three different ones into one !
My AC are executors of the will .
My funeral is not paid for or anything “requested” as I won’t be there and really don’t care . I will leave it my family to decide which they are fully aware and happy to do .
I think I remember from my parents deaths that the executor can allow money can be released from the bank accounts to pay for funerals .
I have hundreds of photos from my parents house that I will sort this winter . My siblings kindly suggested I might like to be caretaker ! There will be a massive cull of scenic views and countless ones of us as kids , and unidentified people! Then I will start on our family ones ?
I still have much of DH’s stuff , and that is something I must pluck up the courage to do . But trying to find new homes for boxes of sheet music, craft equipment and DIY tools will take time and effort .
It took my siblings and me months to clear their large house after our 96 mother died so really want my AC to have an easier time.

goose1964 Wed 27-Oct-21 12:07:14

We already have the various powers of attorney for all remaining parents, my dad has also had a house clear out despite only being in his mid 70s, every time he calls he tells my husband (executor) were all his stuff is.

faye17 Wed 27-Oct-21 11:01:16

Wills made etc. Husband & I went to funeral directors when we were in our 60s
and made all arrangements. We then gave our adult children each a card from the funeral directors so when the time comes they just need to phone them and everything will be handled as we wished.
Anything you can do to ease the pain of that awful but certain time is well worth the effort.
We were both in good health and could have a laugh about it at the time so quite the opposite of morbid.

glammanana Wed 27-Oct-21 10:29:45

All my 3 AC's have details of my accounts and access to them they know where all my files are stored and passwords to various accounts (even GN).
I have chosen music for my simple service and celebration of life and left monies for my immediate family to go for a special meal at my favourite restaurant a week or so later.
All these things have been done now as I was such shock and disarray after loosing my darling man unexpectedly its not a nice thing to have to do but very important to everyone concerned.

Hatty05darling Wed 27-Oct-21 10:17:32

Dear Goggins you are so absolutely right!

Sapphire24 Wed 27-Oct-21 07:22:04

We haven't spoken to our children yet about funeral arrangements, but certainly intend to. One thing I'm also definitely doing is having a good clear out. We lost my mum earlier this year, she was quite a hoarder and it was hard work and very emotional having to go through everything. Sadly she was a smoker so a lot of the possessions had to be taken to the refuse site instead of going to charity. Seeing parts of my parents lives end up in a skip was heartbreaking. I don't want that for our children and personally feel it's one's own responsibility to have things prepared for that time.

monkeebeat Tue 26-Oct-21 23:34:27

Wills done…and updated.
Powers of Attorney in place.
Kids know where paperwork is.
Kids know our wishes re funeral… but also I’ve let them know, it is THEIR ‘party’, not mine.
Openly talked with kids re who might want what (if anything)
Take opportunities to talk about family history. Some documented.
Equity release to ensure we could see our gifts benefit them now.
Easier to discuss dying when not at imminent risk of doing so.

grannybuy Tue 26-Oct-21 23:25:14

I’ve also been told that POA ends on death. Due to having it for my DH, I registered it with the bank, and was allowed to
‘ handle’ his account. However, after his death last December, his account was immediately closed, until probate. Just yesterday, our solicitor emailed to say the it was finally through the court, almost eleven months after his death. I have a will, and a prepaid funeral, and my DD’s know where all the paperwork is, which I’m keeping organised. I must write a list of all organisations and people that they’ll need to contact though, apart from the obvious.

MaggsMcG Tue 26-Oct-21 22:37:27

I hadn't until.my husband died in February. We knew what each other wanted and we both had pre paid funeral plans. I had to tell my closest daughter what I wanted and where everything is.

Suzie1953 Tue 26-Oct-21 20:24:38

Unfortunately a Power of Attorney will ‘die’ with you so no use once you’re gone.