Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday 28th October 2021

(47 Posts)
Michael12 Thu 28-Oct-21 05:59:18

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark, dry and windy here in Brackley this morning.
Got my kitchen window fittings taken for the blinds as done on time stated, fitting 2 weeks today.
Usual trip to Bicester later for an hour or so , otherwise will stay in.
Take Care,
Mick

Kim19 Thu 28-Oct-21 20:59:08

Just back in from a busy but lovely day. Have to say a warm hello to Harrigran. Hello there........?

Marydoll Thu 28-Oct-21 13:54:22

GrannyS, have you tried phoning Tesco customer services. The staff in the Dundee call centre are very helpful. They were great when I was sheilding.
Explain your circumstances and tell them how difficult things are for. I'm sure they will try their best to help.

GrannySomerset Thu 28-Oct-21 13:45:15

Back still a pain but am having an afternoon off, comfortable on my bed whilst Nicole, who comes on Thursday afternoons, is in charge of DH. Plan a shower and hair wash before she leaves at 4.30. Of such small pleasures is life now composed.

So sorry for all those with wild wet weather worries. I am now too scared to drive through any standing water since a driver was caught out in the next village and drowned. Hope everyone out there makes it safely home.

A couple of years ago I ordered some toys for a friend on line from Tesco. I thought I ought to start having my big shop delivered but the website won’t let me change the name and address to mine. I am beyond frustrated!

Blossoming Thu 28-Oct-21 10:27:20

Good morning all from a dark and gloomy Lancashire. I’m off to get my booster.

PollyTickle Thu 28-Oct-21 10:24:18

Very good morning to one and all from a wet Anglesey. It has bucketed down all night long.
The poor old cows in the next field are lined up at our boundary seeking shelter from the trees. One of them has a peculiar moo which sounds like a vibrating phone.
The sheep don’t seem to care, they just carry on munching regardless of wind or rain.
We have the house to ourselves again after a lovely few days with teenage granddaughter, she and her dad went off surfing yesterday, total madness, apparently the waves were good. Brrr.
Someone somewhere must be enjoying some sunshine, wish they’d share.
Thoughts are with Harrigran, glad you have lots of loved ones around you.
And with GrannySomerset soldiering on, hope the cavalry arrive soon.
And with anyone else in need of a hug.
And with you all ?

Stilllearning Thu 28-Oct-21 09:59:22

Morning from a very very wet part of S Lanarkshire. I’ve been staying at DDs for the past two days, looking after the dog and am heading home this morning. I’m presently waiting for a call from SiL who has driven to my nearby town for an appointment, to tell me the state of the road, and I’ve heard nothing yet. Oh heck!
The M74 is certainly closed, DD on her way to work, has already confirmed that, and a car has been swept away down the ‘little’ stream that goes through this village.

Hopefully I’ll report back tomorrow!

Wishing everyone a good day???

hollysteers Thu 28-Oct-21 09:57:41

Good morning Mick and all from Cloudy Chambers Lancashire coast.
Woken up at 4 by the cat wanting attention , it’s becoming a regular habit and one I’m not keen on in my patches of fitful sleep.
Very nice wind trio concert yesterday and having lunch later, I noticed a man staring at quizzically across the restaurant. He came over eventually and turned out to be a client of my late husband, a solicitor. We had a little chat about him which brought back bittersweet memories.
The bus driver was another COUGHER, on and on. There seem to be a lot about. I have booked my vaccination for next week and will be happy when it’s done.
Off to meet friend in nearest city for lunch at a Cat Cafe (would be hell for cat haters…) and my son was unable to get me complimentary tickets for an exhibition I fancy because of Covid. As they are £13.50 on the day, I’ll mull it over, it’s rather a lot. My friend refuses to pay, so may go myself later on.
Thoughts to harrigran grandmattie and GrandmaSomerset? I think having a difficult time.

BlueSapphire Thu 28-Oct-21 09:30:42

Good morning everyone from an overcast and very windy Northampton. Just put some towels in the washing machine, but not sure whether I will hang them out or just put them in the tumble dryer.

Had an excellent book club yesterday, especially as one of our members brought a delicious Victoria sponge cake! Most of the time was spent putting the world to rights and then discussing next year's book selection.

And a successful visit to the hairdressers yesterday - I think I have just about managed to train my stylist to cut my hair as short as I want it - she is always reluctant to use the scissors.

A Sainsbury's delivery is due shortly, then I have to drop a sample into the surgery before lunch, then think I shall pop into Sainsbury's to pick up a Christmas present for DS that I ordered from their Argos outlet - think I am going to get the same thing for DS-in-law.

Ballet class this afternoon, then hopefully a coffee afterwards.

Take care and stay safe everyone.

brook2704 Thu 28-Oct-21 09:30:32

Thanks Marydoll that’s a useful link

Grandmajean Thu 28-Oct-21 09:25:29

Your posts Urmstongran and Gingster made me laugh. Haven't been to Altrincham for years but used to visit regularly.
My DH likes grand opera Gingster and I only like the one song in each that everybody knows. We made a compromise many years ago. We both like Gilbert and Sullivan !

luluaugust Thu 28-Oct-21 09:20:55

Good morning from a bright and sunny W Kent, off to art group this morning, a lot of chat and a little painting.
Best wishes to al.

Mapleleaf Thu 28-Oct-21 09:19:48

Good morning,
A dry, mild but blustery start to the day here in South Yorkshire.
In a bit of a rush as it’s almost time for my class, so I haven’t read the posts yet. Will come back later to read them.
Hope you all have the best day possible. Those with plans for today, enjoy them ?.

Purplepixie Thu 28-Oct-21 09:18:44

Good morning from a grey but dry east Midlands. Wallflowers planted yesterday and bulbs to plant today. Tops to crochet for grand daughters. Stay safe and sane. X ?

Georgesgran Thu 28-Oct-21 09:17:57

Good morning from Durham where it’s full and breezy. Another here with the lurgy - where I’ve got it from is a mystery as I’ve hardly been out since my car displayed a suspension warning light.
Another day on the sofa with hot drinks and a fleece throw.
Hope others have a slightly better day.
?Harri

Marydoll Thu 28-Oct-21 09:10:26

Thanks multic for the info . Here is the link for Scottish grans.

www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes

Greyduster Thu 28-Oct-21 09:06:00

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. It’s dry in South Yorkshire but that’s about all you can say about it at the moment. We have a quiet day today. I have ironing piling up and some food shopping to do later - we are running out of biscuits!! Our plumber came yesterday, serviced the boiler and replaced the toilet seat in the en suite which lurched drunkenly to one side when you sat on it and threatened to land us on the floor. He used to be our neighbour so we also had a cup of tea and looked at lots of photos of his year old granddaughter!
Hoping Ash and Olddudders have a lovely day ??!
Kindest thoughts to Harri.
Have a good day, folks.

ginny Thu 28-Oct-21 08:54:46

Good morning all. Bright sky over Eastbourne at the moment.

Will be on our way home later. First we are meeting friends at a NT property which is on the way home and having lunch with them.
DH has just booked his booster jab so mine should be in a week or so.
Good wishes to everyone, hope you all find a smile in your day.

brook2704 Thu 28-Oct-21 08:50:37

Good morning everyone from Inverness - well actually I’m on the train south just now heading down from Inverness to Cambridge to visit DD1. So far the weather is dry but I’m sure we’ll hit the rain soon
Thanks for the reminder multicolour I’ll check if our fire alarms are linked as I’m not sure if they are. I’ll remind DD2 as well as she’s got quite an old house and there’s probably something needing doing there
Lots of us out and about and busy with various things just now, I hope everyone enjoys whatever they’re doing
Thinking of everyone with worries and struggles, take care whatever the day brings ?

dragonfly46 Thu 28-Oct-21 08:48:43

Good morning from sunny Leicestershire. I have woken up with the dreaded lurgy. I am sure it is just my DH’s cold but booked a Covid test just in case.

Good to see you Harrigran pleased you got your flu jab.

Gingster Thu 28-Oct-21 08:48:09

Good morning all and it’s another bright start here at the seaside.
DS1 and family have now left and we are all back to ‘normal’. We don’t sleep well when people stay over as we always give our bedroom over to our guests, as it has adjoining rooms and wc and wash basins. Hey Ho - it’s lovely to have them here but great to get back to our comfy bed.

Today we will go to another town to shop as it has more choice and I need to get a ‘home warming’ gift for our old neighbour who has bought my sister in laws house. It will be strange visiting there as my SIL died last February and I used to pop in to see her whenever we were up here in Suffolk.

Ash enjoy the ballet. I’m another who wouldn’t be able to get my DH to accompany me . Ive booked a ticket to see a folk group at our local theatre tomorrow evening. I asked dh if he would like to come. His reply was ‘Why would I’ …. RUDE!
I’ve booked 2 ticket to see Cirque de Soleil in January, at the RAH. . He doesn’t know as it’s a surprise for his birthday ?. We went about 5 years ago and it was amazing and he loved it, so I hope he will be pleased ?. ?.

Wishing you all a pleasant day. ????

Anniebach Thu 28-Oct-21 08:42:51

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Urmstongran Thu 28-Oct-21 08:35:56

Reminds me of a meal in a posh French restaurant in Altrincham years ago Grandmajean. A candlelit supper for sure! None of the 4 of us had taken spex for reading so we very much struggled with the menu in the semi-darkness. Himself was the best of us but he could only read out the bold line - no description of the food possible in the fainter script - so he said ‘there’s lamb, chicken something, turbot’ etc and we chose as best we could. At the next table was a very loud man with expansive gestures with a very well dressed group. He lit his cigar (shows how many years ago this was, inside a restaurant!) and was gesticulating over something or other with his brandy and coffee. Next minute a thick napkins went up in flames, the diners made it worse by wafting menus, the smoke alarm went off, the flames rose and I felt panicky and Himself roared with laughter. I tried shushing him, aware of the feelings of the posh group but he was just helpless. It was indeed a scene from Fawlty Towers.
?

multicolourswapshop Thu 28-Oct-21 08:28:46

Good morning one and all
It’s looks like another damp and dreary day the good news is I do feel much better at long last the lurgy is leaving me .
For those who live in Scotland there’s to be a new fire safety law where all Scottish homeowners are to have their smoke detectors linked. I got in touch with my local fire station and then received a visit from 2 handsome fire officers who duly linked my smoke detectors without much fuss. You’ve to be over a certain age before you get this service free so go ahead all who are eligible and get it done before there’s a rush on. Apart from this information I’m looking forward to what the day might bring.

Have a good day everyone enjoy being warm and cosy hugs all around

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 28-Oct-21 08:08:06

Good morning all from dry Harrogate
This morning I’m due a shopping delivery and providing the skies are falling, hoping to go to town after with DH
Enjoy the ballet Ashcome and olddudders I wouldn’t be able to prise DH out of his armchair for anything like that. I have some baking to do but am waiting to see how much room I have in the freezer after the shopping to see when it can be done.
Hope you are still being supported by your family, Harrigran. And you Marydoll are feeling a bit better. My jam making days are over, not much call for liquid jam in this house
Have the best day you can everyone

Grandmajean Thu 28-Oct-21 08:05:15

Dull and dark here in Cheshire this morning.
Had two of the GC over for tea last night and put a little tea light on the table while we ate. Six year old thought it very posh and switched off the light. Couldn't see a thing ! Reminded me of a meal with friends a few years ago in a Jamie Oliver restaurant where we all had to use the torch on our phones to read the menu !
Have a good day if possible everyone.