Gransnet forums

Chat

how do i wash my hair

(62 Posts)
ChickenAnnie Thu 04-Nov-21 11:30:03

I would be so grateful for any suggestions on how i can wash my hair whilst my foot is in a cast? I cannot put any weight on my foot so cannot have shower.

Smurf52 Sat 20-Nov-21 17:26:05

The NHS provided me with a shower chair. I bought a clear sleeve to cover my cast from Amazon.

Kryptonite Sun 07-Nov-21 11:48:43

Useful post, thank you!

Lexisgranny Sat 06-Nov-21 22:48:49

Head over bath and a lightweight plastic jug.

Calistemon Sat 06-Nov-21 22:35:57

Preferably on a shower stool! It's not easy to get down on the floor and up again with a leg in a plaster cast.

There's no need to leave your leg outside the shower as those waterproof covers suggested by several posters are very good and don't leak.

BluePizzaWalking Sat 06-Nov-21 19:27:42

I agree, sit in the shower tray with you foot outside the shower. You can buy special plastic bags of various sizes to protect body parts in plaster casts from water. I got mine online from Amazon

Daftbag1 Sat 06-Nov-21 18:43:36

Or do what I'm doing ......... And stay dirty!!!

I can't wash my hair or my face at the moment as any touch triggers the worst pain you can imagine (SUNCT and trigeminal neuralgia), this flare up will be for around 2 months and when I can finally wash my hair it will look amazing!

MooM00 Sat 06-Nov-21 16:21:38

ChickenAnnie. I am with you all the way on this. I am in the same situation. I have got a cast on after a broken ankle. I find kneeling on a small stool leaning over the bath and washing my hair works for me.

Mirren Sat 06-Nov-21 15:45:41

Last message should have read" feat " not " feet ", of course ?

Mirren Sat 06-Nov-21 15:44:11

I smashed my ankle and was not allowed to put my foot down at all for more than 12 weeks .... no mean feet ,I can tell you , but I did it .
I needed several gadgets to help but the best was a waterproof cast cover . This completely covered the cast to the knee with a very efficient rubber flange round the top as a seal .
The brand I had was a Limbo ( available from a well known online retailer beginning with A) .
I was able to shower and evenbathe and my cast stayed dry all those weeks.

JaneJudge Sat 06-Nov-21 15:00:27

If you have the funds, I'm sure a mobile hairdresser could could to your home once a week and give you a wash and set (this is what my MIL does)

harrysgran Sat 06-Nov-21 14:55:51

Treat yourself to a wash and blow at the local salon where you can use back wash my sister has metal plates in her shoulder and finds drying as well as washing difficult it's her weekly treat

AJKW Sat 06-Nov-21 14:46:54

You can buy a plastic cover for your cast with a tight elastic top to stop water seeping in allowing you to shower. Although because of your cast you may want to put a plastic chair in the shower to sit on.
I would not usually recommend Amazon for any purchase I don’t like the way they monopolise the market but you will find this product on their website.

Elless Sat 06-Nov-21 14:39:00

I'm in a cast at the moment and fortunately I can lean my knee on the toilet and lean over the bath to wash my hair. I also have a Limbo so enjoy a bath all the time, I had to order a special size from Limbo and they made it at no extra cost.

seadragon Sat 06-Nov-21 13:54:59

A little anecdote amidst all the useful advice: An older friend with beautiful hair told me she had found she hardly needed to wash her hair at all as she aged... During lockdown my hair grew far down my back and I now wear it up all the time. I wash it occasionally but not nearly as often as I used to. It has acquired waves, ringlets and a sheen it hasn't had since I was a teenager...and, I am reliably assured...does not smell. I remember years ago seeing a tv programme about hair being self cleaning and how washing not being good for it....

Oofy Sat 06-Nov-21 13:54:44

I also had a LimbO, suggested by the vascular nurse, when I had a leg ulcer. She even suggested I could go into a swimming pool with it, as I was bemoaning the fact that I wouldn’t be able to swim on our holiday abroad that year. I didn’t quite like to, though. What would the other bathers have thought?! The manufacturers say only gentle bathing. The covers stay up a bit like a stronger version of self-supporting stockings.
I was also going to suggest the hairdressers, PollyTickle.

Mallin Sat 06-Nov-21 13:43:50

Why don’t people these days know that regular hair washing is a newly acquired habit?

Fernbergien Sat 06-Nov-21 13:13:20

Remember that cling wrap is good to put round knee after a replacement. Also elsewhere ie wrist. Enough to keep part dry in shower.

janywoo Sat 06-Nov-21 12:57:33

I have offered to shampoo and condition my regular clients at the salon, no charge. It's a nominal fee for a shampoo at most salons. Some people have taken advantage of my offer ,asking for "a little mousse"or a "few bobby pins",or even a free "quick braid". Fortunately ,most people don't take my kindness for weakness, as the saying goes.

Nannapat1 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:53:08

After my hip replacement, I visited the hairdresser a few times for a wash and blow dry, easier than struggling. I do only need to wash my hair once a week though and left it a bit longer just post op. And no it did not get greasy, dirty or smelly: the hairdresser was amazed! Now I'm back to kneeling over the bath for home hair washing, but appreciate that with a cast on this may not be possible!

Coco51 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:19:41

Over a sink - before showers there was no alternative

Chicklette Sat 06-Nov-21 12:16:51

When I had a cast in my foot I hopped into the bath and hung the leg over the side. I washed my hair in the bath sometimes, other times leant over the bath.

Riggie Sat 06-Nov-21 12:15:28

Sit at the sink or basin and use a jug?

Or go outside in the rain!! Washed and dried my hair last Sunday and got caught in a sudden downpour which left it dripping

Unigran4 Sat 06-Nov-21 12:12:20

When I had a frozen shoulder and couldn't lift my arm above my waist I went to the local hairdresser just to have my hair washed. No blow dry, just combed out and left to dry on its own. Very cheap and problem solved.

Jazzhands Sat 06-Nov-21 11:39:40

I fell and broke both wrists. I tried dry shampoo for a while, but then phoned my hairdresser. They had someone who would come and do it for me at home at a reduced cost for as long as I needed to mend. Heros!

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 06-Nov-21 11:22:13

Have you tried Dry shampoos? Or when I was last in hospital I was given a strange cap I put on my head and it shampood my hair!