Gransnet forums

Chat

Words in your head?

(19 Posts)
shysal Mon 29-Nov-21 07:50:21

I always have an earworm song going round in my head, but lately I have had a word too. Today it is 'larrikin', yesterday it was 'Hurtigruten'.
What, if any, are yours?

MayBee70 Mon 29-Nov-21 07:54:46

I’m glad it’s not just me. I sometimes wish I had an on off switch for my head. Thankfully there’s no song buzzing around today. But I’ve just thought of Phil Collins You Can’t Hurry Love so here we go…..

fairfraise Mon 29-Nov-21 08:25:07

Lately it's been Take a Chance on me by ABBA. I don't know why. But you've reminded me now of You Can't Hurry Love which was in my head a lot in the summer.

Grandmabatty Mon 29-Nov-21 08:29:59

I constantly sing 'You're just too good to be true, can't take my eyes off you' and usually in the kitchen when I'm tidying up!

Coastpath Mon 29-Nov-21 08:55:36

I have this too. I read the words 'watch horse' in an email last week and I keep hearing it.

Often when I'm out walking I sing the theme to the TV show Rhoda in my head. If I'm miles from anywhere, I often sing aloud!

It's only me walking along a country lane but in my head I'm glamorous young Rhoda strutting the streets of 1970s New York smile.

ninathenana Mon 29-Nov-21 09:16:04

shysal
You have started another round of Hertigruten in my head ??

shysal Mon 29-Nov-21 09:24:36

ninathenana

shysal
You have started another round of Hertigruten in my head ??

Sorry nina! I hope you are using Joanna Lumley's voice!

AGAA4 Mon 29-Nov-21 11:36:15

It's often songs I don't like that get stuck in my head and drive me bonkers. "I should be so lucky, lucky, lucky" is today's annoying earworm.

Oldnproud Mon 29-Nov-21 11:44:27

Mine changes from day to day.

I do remember one very long day when Nelly the Elephant was 'playing' in my head non stop!

Grandma70s Mon 29-Nov-21 12:00:41

Oldnproud

Mine changes from day to day.

I do remember one very long day when Nelly the Elephant was 'playing' in my head non stop!

Oh dear, now you’ve mentioned it……

I have music, songs and yards of poetry in my head, If I stop to consider, it amazes me how much poetry I appear to know, mostly without ever intending to learn it, but some I learnt when I was a young child. Anyone know ‘Grasshoppers four a-fiddling went, heigh ho, never be still’ ? It was in my head all yesterday. I learnt it at infant school.

Purplepixie Mon 29-Nov-21 12:03:42

I got up the other day and was thinking about scallywag. Each day it is a different word and I thought I was the only one who it happened to.

MiniMoon Mon 29-Nov-21 13:56:02

I often find myself looking up the origins of the interesting words I am ruminating about. Mostly though it's songs or tunes. Just the other day I had a tune I kept humming. I couldn't think where it was from, except that it was the theme tune to a children's TV programme.
It finally came to me, Roobarb and Custard. Why that particular tune, I have no idea.

Calistemon Mon 29-Nov-21 14:04:21

Today it is 'larrikin', yesterday it was 'Hurtigruten'.
Both great words, shysal

Often a song, today it has been "We are the Champions"

Sometimes I find it odd that I can be reading, the tv is on and someones speaks the word I am reading at that exact time.
I don't mean words like 'and' or 'the'

NfkDumpling Mon 29-Nov-21 14:21:26

Happens to me too - and Hurtigruten, pronounced the way the lovely Norwegian lady on the phone says it, often visits me.
(We had a lovely, lovely trip on the Nord Norge ferry-cum-cruise ship January 2019. Northern lights and lots of snow!)

grannyactivist Mon 29-Nov-21 14:32:35

shysal

I always have an earworm song going round in my head, but lately I have had a word too. Today it is 'larrikin', yesterday it was 'Hurtigruten'.
What, if any, are yours?

Ah……..Hurtigruten………now you’ve set me off thinking of past visits to Norway………at Christmas……….in the snow…..tchsmile

This photo was taken by one of our dear Norwegian friends.

BBbevan Mon 29-Nov-21 15:12:11

I have that song from an advertisement about cruising, I think. Some vapid woman and ‘I just can’t get enough’. Hate it.

shysal Tue 30-Nov-21 09:42:17

Today I am annoying myself with:
'Marsh Baldon, Toot Baldon, Baldon-on-the-Green,
Great Baldon, Little Baldon, Baldon-inbetween.'

Urmstongran Tue 30-Nov-21 09:50:33

That photo is beautiful grannyactivist.

MayBee70 Tue 30-Nov-21 11:18:42

The Life and Rhymes trailer on Sky Arts is currently doing my head in.