Gransnet forums

Chat

One has to wonder what the effect this could have on this small child’s mental health.

(44 Posts)
Urmstongran Tue 30-Nov-21 12:24:37

Personal protective equipment was in evidence at Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport as Australia found two more omicron cases yesterday, both in Sydney.

Really?

GrannyGravy13 Wed 01-Dec-21 15:41:13

growstuff

Did gas masks have any effect on children's mental health?

Yes, my late Mother had severe problems due to gas masks during the war.

Anything covering her face, even accidentally like a scarf riding up would make her terribly panicked.

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 14:43:59

Urmstongran

The DT’s caption with the photograph said it was taken in Melbourne since the new variant surfaced.

I think they stick out like a sore thumb. Other passengers are watching. They probably think ‘what?’.

I think it’s ridiculous.

Yes but Growstuff said it is from China last year. So who knows?

Urmstongran Wed 01-Dec-21 12:17:24

I don’t think our opinions on this topic stop us from having opinions about other topics.

GagaJo Wed 01-Dec-21 12:12:10

Whitewavemark2

The effect?

Absolutely fades into insignificance if you compare it to a child sitting in the freezing cold and wet with no proper shelter because our morally bankrupt government will not provide safe passage for that child.

This. 100%. The parent of the child in the suit is protecting him. Regardless of how outlandish he looks, the child will feel cared for by his parent.

There are children in much of the world that either have lost their parents due to war OR with parents that care desperately, but can't protect them.

But let the moral outrage focus on the plastic suit. It's a much easier point to be critical about, rather than our government (and by proxy, our) influence on the children of war/3rd world children.

nanna8 Wed 01-Dec-21 11:54:53

Fit would fit in well with the current Victorian regime if it was even true. Which I am sure it isn't.

Urmstongran Wed 01-Dec-21 11:42:06

The DT’s caption with the photograph said it was taken in Melbourne since the new variant surfaced.

I think they stick out like a sore thumb. Other passengers are watching. They probably think ‘what?’.

I think it’s ridiculous.

maddyone Wed 01-Dec-21 11:31:11

I agree Antonia but for another poster to suggest that children were unaffected by six years of war is clearly ridiculous and displays a huge lack of understanding. Equally children have been, and are being, affected by Covid, although not by wearing a suit, in my opinion. The lack of school, social situations, seeing family ill and sometimes dying, the restrictions etc will all have had a massive affect on children’s mental health and development. This is acknowledged by most people now.

Antonia Wed 01-Dec-21 11:16:50

I'm sure the war affected the mental health of many people, both children and adults, but we're talking about a suit of clothes here, not years of unrelenting stress because of war.

maddyone Wed 01-Dec-21 11:10:59

growstuff

I think a huge number of people, including children, had their mental health affected by the second world war. My auntie, who was between the ages of 9 and 15 over the six years of war, was so terrified by the terrible bombing that she developed alopecia and all her hair dropped out. It never recovered and she wore a wig for the rest of her life. She died, aged 86, a couple of years ago.

Antonia Wed 01-Dec-21 11:00:59

Probably zero affect. It's a suit of clothing, he's /she's (can't tell) wearing it for a limited time. I do get fed up of all the dramatics about children's mental health seemingly being affected by perfectly reasonable events. Life can be very tough. If their mental health is going to be affected by a suit of clothes, what are the chances of them surviving a real crisis?

theworriedwell Wed 01-Dec-21 10:50:56

So was the picture China or Melbourne, was it in 2020 or 2021. Very confusing.

As to mental health my GS lives with me, he has covid, is in his bedroom and he's been there for a week, he is being effected quite badly but mask wearing, jabs, schools closing didn't cause much if any issues.

As my DH is mid 70s and disabled we have had to be really strict, he has only been out of his bedroom to use the bathroom, we are using the ensuite.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 01-Dec-21 03:53:23

The effect?

Absolutely fades into insignificance if you compare it to a child sitting in the freezing cold and wet with no proper shelter because our morally bankrupt government will not provide safe passage for that child.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 03:23:47

The picture was taken at an airport in China in June 2020. I wonder why it's been posted now.

There are some anti-vaxx pseudo scientists around who seem absolutely determined to push their opinion that children aren't affected by Covid and precautions aren't needed.

bylinetimes.com/2021/10/01/inside-the-radicalised-anti-vaxxer-network-influencing-government-vaccine-advisory-panel/

PS. Maybe the people so concerned about children should lobby to have better mitigations in schools.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 03:21:01

Lincslass

Ridiculous, overreacting. Do they even know how to take these suits off without contaminating themselves, of course not. Poor child, what must they have thought, when they see everyone in normal clothes, and it’s not a snowsuit, which is bright and fun. Poor child.

It probably didn't bother the child at all.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 03:21:01

Lincslass

Ridiculous, overreacting. Do they even know how to take these suits off without contaminating themselves, of course not. Poor child, what must they have thought, when they see everyone in normal clothes, and it’s not a snowsuit, which is bright and fun. Poor child.

It probably didn't bother the child at all.

Lincslass Wed 01-Dec-21 02:33:38

freedomfromthepast Wed 01-Dec-21 02:11:56

First, I think the suit is a bit much, but do we know the full background of this child? Maybe he is immunocompromised. Maybe he is going to visit Grandparents they haven't seen in 2 years and they do not want to take any risks and they do not normally wear these suits.

I have two teens. To be honest the #1 thing that affected their mental health was lockdown.

Not mask wearing. Not vaccines. Not washing down groceries. Just lockdown. They will wear whatever they have to in order to not be locked down again.

I am quite sure that previous generations have wondered how worldwide events would affect their kids and grandkids. Spanish Flu, War, Depressions and Recessions.

Humans are adaptable. It is easy for us to look back and feel bad for kids because they aren't having the same experience we did, but this is what their normal is for the last 2 years.

Will this have a lasting effect on them? Yes. Will they adapt and overcome? Yes.

Right now we need to do whatever it takes in order for them to have as "normal" of a life as we can provide them. Even if that means we have to wear suits like those. Gosh I hope it doesn't come to that for any of us.

growstuff Wed 01-Dec-21 00:56:35

maddyone Tue 30-Nov-21 23:59:44

I don’t think it’ll have any effect on the child’s mental health, but the parent’s obvious overreaction may very well have an effect on the child’s mental health.

GagaJo Tue 30-Nov-21 23:16:47

Let's be frank. The world is going to get a hell of a lot more of a mess than it currently is, due to global warming. The less alarmist we can be the better, to give them some quality of life. Make taking precautions matter of fact. Their lives are going to be very much different to ours.

Summerlove Tue 30-Nov-21 16:55:23

theworriedwell

I can't see why it would have any more effect on MH than making them put sun screen on when it is a sunny day or a snow suit when it is cold unless an adult puts that in their head.

Agree

Children are far more adaptable than adults. They complain far less too re covid

Mollygo Tue 30-Nov-21 16:37:50

Very little impact unless there’s a fuss about it. Children accept snow suits, painting overalls, fancy dress etc.

Kalu Tue 30-Nov-21 16:12:19

We are only guessing at the effect on this child’s MH.
My guess, it won’t effect the child at all, especially a toddler who won’t be thinking too deeply about this. Age approx. 10 plus may not go along with Mummy’s thinking.

Calistemon Tue 30-Nov-21 16:05:30

I'd get fed up with the endless question: "Are we there yet?"
"Where, dear?"
"Mars! I'm wearing my space suit"

"But, are we there yet?"

notgran Tue 30-Nov-21 15:58:54

"One has to wonder what the effect this could have on this small child’s mental health" Does one? This one thinks it will have precisely no effect on the child's mental health.