Gransnet forums

Chat

Ballet - excited and nervous

(77 Posts)
crazyH Mon 06-Dec-21 14:11:22

I don't go to the theatre as such, except taking the children to see the Christmas pantomime?- oh I did see 'Cats'.
My daughter has just phoned to say she is going to book us to see Swan Lake, as a xmas present. I don't know what to expect. I don't know what to wear. I have asthma and do have a tickly cough at the most inappropriate times. Help !

crazyH Mon 06-Dec-21 21:47:46

I have got a nice new bottle green sparkly top, which my son and d.il. got me as an early xmas present - d.i.l.said you can wear it to your 50+Cafe xmas party. So I shall wear that to the Ballet as well ?(I would have posted a photo, but it's upstairs and I'm glued to my comfy sofa ?)

MayBeMaw Mon 06-Dec-21 23:16:25

ayse

You will probably recognise quite a lot of the music. I love ballet and Swan Lake was the first one I remember seeing. Mum took me to the Festival Hall on the Southbank many years ago. It was magical

Have a lovely time and remember to take a mask and vaccine passport, just in case. Some theatres want it.

What do you mean by vaccine passport ?
(I wasn't aware we had them yet in the UK)
Do you mean the NHS app?
Masks will be compulsory . And the company/venue website will able to advise on whether you need to provide evidence of vaccination / booster.

Teacheranne Mon 06-Dec-21 23:32:58

Fishmonger I have just been reminded of going to the ballet while at Secondary School, I think the music teacher had a “ connection” to get free tickets! I spent most of my time looking at the male dancers crotch areas through the binoculars! And I didn’t put any money in the slot machines, we discovered that if you kicked them, they released the glasses free of charge! What heathens we were at 14 years old!

LilyoftheValley Mon 06-Dec-21 23:43:30

I adore Swan Lake. Pleased that you have such a thoughtful gift. After a gap of several years I went to the Ballet and had not remembered how noisy the dancer's points can be!!

crazyH Mon 06-Dec-21 23:50:12

What's a vaccine Passport ? I have had my jabs , including Booster and they have given me a card.....is that a vaccine passport ?

notgran Tue 07-Dec-21 05:59:36

As a plea on behalf of the other audience members watching Swan Lake with you, please if during the performance you get a persistent cough, leave your seat and go somewhere else, the Foyer or Ladies. It is very unpleasant to be around someone who coughs a lot during a Ballet, Play etc. Especially concerning during these COVID times. I should think you will have to wear a mask which may be uncomfortable. We have only this week not gone to a performance in London as my husband has a bad cough (not COVID) and in consideration of the rest of the audience we didn't go. We were gutted and lost the money for the tickets but we didn't want to upset folk or in his case to be worried and uncomfortable all through the performance that he was going to have a coughing fit.

Ashcombe Tue 07-Dec-21 06:23:39

I’m sure you’ll love your first experience of ballet, crazyH! I cried at the sheer beauty of the first ballet I attended and I’ve seen several since and am always enthralled.

Here’s a link to the story:-

www.classicfm.com/composers/tchaikovsky/pictures/beginners-guide-tchaikovskys-swan-lake/swan-lake-ballet/

Do you have a smart phone? If so, the NHS App can be downloaded and, once you’ve filled in your details, it should offer you your NHS COVID Pass, sometimes referred to as a vaccine passport. Most professional theatres require this to be shown; no doubt your daughter will know if it's needed.

Enjoy every moment and do come back and let us know how it goes. ?

CanadianGran Tue 07-Dec-21 06:53:44

I'm envious, enjoy! Sparkly top is just the thing to wear, bring lozenges and water if allowed. Do take time to read the program so you can follow the acts and learn the characters. I haven't gone often, and am usually too engrossed in people watching to read the whole program.

I find the ballet to be so engrossing. The music, the theatre and live audience, the set, and of course the wonderful dancers and their costumes.

nadateturbe Tue 07-Dec-21 07:27:33

Teacheranne grin

Grandmadinosaur Tue 07-Dec-21 07:35:00

If you can’t take water in you can take an empty water bottle and get it filled inside. This happened to me at the London coliseum. I went to my local theatre a few weeks ago and I was able to take my water in with me.
I saw the Nutcracker a couple of years ago and yes it is the start of Christmas. Beautiful.
Enjoy Swan Lake.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Dec-21 07:52:54

You will need the Welsh Covid pass on your phone, a mask - and something warm for your shoulders (as the ventilation will be on full blast).

I find blackcurrant pastilles are good for easing a tickly cough, but expect the 'funny looks' you get now, should you dare to cough in public. I'd like an 'Allergies' badge to point to!

Josianne Tue 07-Dec-21 08:08:20

What a lovely present! Once you have immersed yourself in the ballet you will be too enraptured to cough. Maybe do a bit of research first to feel familiar with the plot so you can go out for water if you need to. Ashcombe's link is a good idea.
Personally I like to dress up a bit for (London) ballets as we often go for dinner before or drinks afterwards.
Have a lovely time!

crazygranny Tue 07-Dec-21 11:05:01

Huge envy! Have a wonderful time. Nothing beats live theatre - especially ballet!!!

KathrynP Tue 07-Dec-21 11:17:54

Last time I went to the ballet to watch a friend’s daughter my husband loudly exclaimed “Well that was very well corrugated wasn’t it!”! His first language was Welsh till he was 16 and he comes up with some great Malapropisms. I wonder what the Welsh for choreographed is!

Linda65 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:32:35

Going to the ballet has become my ‘me’ time! It’s such a lovely relaxing experience and you get so lost in what you are seeing you stop worrying about coughing etc! Taking water is great and the acts aren’t too long and in Swan Lake you usually have two intervals. There are also breaks in the music when you can have a quick cough - many people do!! Enjoy!!

Susieq62 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:51:50

Is it Matthew Bourne’s production? If so you MUST go!!
Wear a mask, take water, cough sweets, enjoy !!

OldEnough2noBetter Tue 07-Dec-21 12:25:34

Sparkly top sounds fab! Sneak the water in in your bag or under your coat. Any place that complains about you bringing in water, it’s only cause they want you to buy their overpriced water. ??‍♀️

If you do have a wee coughing fit, brandish your inhaler like a shield ?

Enjoy the ballet! Hope it’s the first of many for you ?

knspol Tue 07-Dec-21 12:47:22

You'll see some people dressed in their finery but the majority will be tidy and comfortable with some even very casual. It's London and anything goes, just be comfortable and enjoy the experience. I used to feel obliged to dress up for such things but not anymore, just not necessary.

Guntew183 Tue 07-Dec-21 12:54:46

Vaccine passes have to be shown in theatres in Wales or a negative lateral flow test taken within 48 hours. My son works in St David’s Hall and he said they won’t let you in without it. Easy to upload to your phone and updates every time you log in. I just save it as a screenshot as easier to find.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 07-Dec-21 13:16:54

Each to her own, but I would most definately NOT take anything drinkable with me. The very thought would have me feeling I needed to wee half-way through an act!

Do take your inhaler, and some mints or chewing gum. Wear something you feel nice in and enjoy yourself. The smallest size of binoculars (used to be called opera glasses) is a good idea if you are far from the stage.

GrammaH Tue 07-Dec-21 13:22:04

How wonderful, no wonder you're excited! You seem to have had lots of advice & have a very lovely and suitable outfit sorted so just go and have the most fantastic evening. Ballet is so magical, especially at this time of year. We saw Nutcracker at the ROH a few years ago it took my breath away, as did Sleeping Beauty. Enjoy every moment!

Bluecat Tue 07-Dec-21 13:23:59

That's a lovely gift. DD2 gave us tickets to Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, several years ago, and it was brilliant. I was afraid that DH wouldn't enjoy it but he was completely absorbed. DD2 also gave me a ticket to Das Rheingeld as a birthday present, but I had to go to see it with her FiL because no one else liked opera. It was a great performance, though.

I wouldn't worry about what to wear. My next door neighbour told me that I would have to wear a gown to the opera. I disregarded her and wore my nicest trousers and jumper. I was very glad that I hadn't turned up in a gown, as everyone was wearing ordinary clothes.

Linda65 Tue 07-Dec-21 13:29:11

The more you worry about coughing the more likely you are to cough! Also if you enjoy it then do consider taking up ballet exercise such as Silver Swans. Great exercise for the more mature lady and helps with breathing - I am asthmatic and my breathing has improved along with my balance etc. Never did ballet as a child but it’s so much fun! I do an online class with Ballet Based Movement

62Granny Tue 07-Dec-21 13:30:44

I went with my daughter to St David's Hall a few years ago to see the Nutcraker, it was very nice but not my favourite type of show to be honest , I prefer a musical at the Millennium Centre but nobody was dressed up as such, usual Cardiff day out shopping clothes we went to the afternoon show rather than the evening but I would not think it would be a lot different for an evening performance, lots of little girls in net tutu's dancing in the waiting area while we were there ?

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-Dec-21 13:47:16

Which version are you seeing? I love the ballet and over the years have seen quite a few, including the fabulous Rudolf Nureyev three times. These days I prefer modern ballet and would highly recommend Matthew Bourne’s Swan Lake.
Don’t worry about your asthma, do as others have said, sip water, suck sweets and relax.
Dress nicely but you don’t have to go over the top. Just what you’d wear for a night out.
I’d recommend googling the story of the ballet before you go, you’ll enjoy it more if you know what’s going on.
Have a wonderful time.