Gransnet forums

Chat

My favourite shops are charity shops, which shops are your favourite ?

(131 Posts)
Serendipity22 Thu 13-Jan-22 15:26:03

Today i decided to go to a quaint market town near me. I love the ambiance of this market town, the people are so friendly, love it.

I trail from charity shop to charity shop then open the door to a welcoming, warm cafe, sit near window so can people watch while a contented, happy feeling sits within me that i have bargains in my bags that sit at my feet.

Then after sipping my coffee, i scoop up my bargains and head away from the welcoming cafe, to MORE charity shops.
gringringrin

BlueBelle Sun 23-Jan-22 07:40:09

Well our charity shop doesn’t smell nasty …..I can’t say the same for a few of the folks coming in though, especially the posh mums looking for a designer bargain ( the things people throw out without checking the going price is unbelievable) with their 3 year old in a dirty nappy

Joking aside the majority of people we have come in are really lovely and we keep an air freshener handy for the odd one

We only put out fresh or neutral smelling clothes a lot of our donors wash and press before bringing in, then you get the bags that you know they have just emptied the wash basket into the bag complete with dirty tissues and worse
The worst is when you open a bag from a heavy smokers home and it’s very frustrating as they may be nice clothes but you can never get rid of the smell and they have to go

M0nica Sun 23-Jan-22 07:21:53

In my casesecond-hand bookshops.

Pepper59 Sun 23-Jan-22 03:11:44

Book shops. I used to love record shops but all that is left is HMV, which I still have an odd mosey around.

Serendipity22 Sat 22-Jan-22 21:50:45

rubysong oooo never heard of scrap store what a brilliant idea, i must run that by the charity shop i frequent more often.....

rubysong Sat 22-Jan-22 21:16:22

When having a charity shop mooch in our nearest town I discovered the Scrap Store. What an Aladdin's cave! I paid my £5 to be a member for a year and for £2.50 I got to fill a bag from the 'members only' section. There were all kinds of craft materials and random useful things. I look after two DGC each week so I shall be there often.

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 21:31:51

HilĺyN sounds FANNNNTASTIC... just up my street.....

HillyN Sun 16-Jan-22 21:09:49

My favourite charity shop is one near us. It used to be a hardware shop. The owner retired and sold it complete with the stock. So it is a great place for nails, screws etc. As well as a lot of good quality clothes (warm winter coats £1!) and bric-a-brac there are shelves of books, toys, pet stuff and my favourite corner- haberdashery- elastic and ribbon by the meter, many coloured reels of cotton and a great selection of buttons. They sell nice birthday cards and stationery; also chocolate bars that are about to go out of date for half price. A real Aladdin's cave!

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 17:13:52

Lets allll meet up in the charity shop ( those who like to leap through the charity shop door with utter excitement ) emerge with our bargains then pop next door to the warm, inviting cafe for coffee and cake !!!! Yeahhhhh we would all have a fabulous time...

cafesmilecafesmile

Mapleleaf Sun 16-Jan-22 16:29:51

I agree with CountryMouse22 - the few times I’ve been in charity shops to drop off donations, I’ve found them unpleasantly smelly, with a fusty, stale odour about them and so have been glad to get out into the fresh air.

Ethelwashere1 Sun 16-Jan-22 10:17:57

Im glad im not alone, I love charity shops too. I buy all sorts of stuff but books especially. I also love to go to a nearby asda where i can sit upstairs and watch the customers while having a cuppa.
I also like DIY shops as i live alone I find i can get advice about what i need.
When i retire I would love to help out in a charity shop.

Manxmaid01 Sun 16-Jan-22 09:42:41

Good morning ladies. I’m not keen on shopping but I do like charity shops. I volunteer one morning a week in my local hospice shop and I really enjoy it, I’ve met and got to know so many lovely people. On holiday I visit charity shops, I don’t always buy any something so pop a small donation into their box. They need the money and I enjoy the chat. Anyone who has a few hours to spare, give it a go, you will be made very welcome.

Marmight Sat 15-Jan-22 09:48:28

I used to enjoy shopping. I’d meet up with a friend and we’d spend the day footling round the shops interrupted by coffee, then lunch, then more coffee. These days after an hour, I’ve had enough & just want to go home An occasional rummage round a ‘chazzer’ usually produces at least one bargain which is very satisfying. These days the weekly trip to Aldi then Waitrose or the farmer’s market is my limit.

Rosiebee Sat 15-Jan-22 09:15:06

A favourite treat is to go for a browse and inevitable purchase from Black Sheep Wools, amazing yarn/needlecraft shop then drive on to nearby fabulous garden centre for a nosey round all the kitchen ware etc. Might even make it to the plants. Contrary to most grans here, I actually enjoy the weekly trip to the supermarket. Think I'm a bit of a browser, I like looking around all the different sections.

mrsgreenfingers56 Sat 15-Jan-22 08:06:03

Well I am glad it isn't just me that doesn't enjoy shopping. I get into town and out asap but do always pop into my local charity shop and have a very quick look.

I thought all ladies loved to shop and drop so I a refreshing thread here and I don't feel quite so odd now!

AuntieEleanorsCat Fri 14-Jan-22 22:41:38

I love a mooch now and again but I never shop with anyone else, even dh. I don’t enjoy feeling like I’m keeping people waiting.

When I shop, I shop alone and love it!

Folkestone78 Fri 14-Jan-22 22:39:09

I have spent this afternoon doing exactly the same … love a charity shop followed by coffee and cake!

Libman Fri 14-Jan-22 21:48:50

I used to love wandering around Laura Ashley. Lovely homeware as well as clothes.

Madashell Fri 14-Jan-22 20:07:35

Hardware shops - especially that rarity the independent shop, the older the better. The large DIY chains are OK but too bright and clean. The quality of fixings and fittings has declined (cheap imports?) and I hate blister packs of anything - used to be able to buy nails by weight. I like tools that make jobs easier, not that I may be doing the job but him indoors is stuck in the 1960s as regards “how things are done”. We’re renovating a 1950s bungalow and changing the falling apart doors, however the door handles are good quality just need a bit of work. In best “Repair Shop” style I have sourced door handle springs and (thanks Steve) bought some clock cleaning fluid which has taken off all the tarnish. A bit of Autosol and the handles are a soft coppery pink colour - a gorgeous bit of house history.

muse Fri 14-Jan-22 19:59:57

Garden Centres or Plant Nurseries. Most I visit have a pretty decent cafe too? ☕️.
OR any shop that sells local craft or art pieces.

lemsip Fri 14-Jan-22 19:00:28

Grantanow

Keep an eye on Westminster charity shops as there may be some redundant Lulu Lyttle furniture and leftover wallpaper available in the near future.

ha ha I Like that and think you may be right... not that she'll let him resign of course!

lemsip Fri 14-Jan-22 18:57:59

CountryMouse22

I'm ashamed to say I don't like the smell in charity shops so only go in them to deposit donations!

I have never known any charity shop I've been in to smell! Where do you live?

HannahLoisLuke Fri 14-Jan-22 18:40:41

My favourites are independent home shops where I love browsing the shabby chic furniture and home wares. I don’t buy often but am always tempted.
I also love The White Company but a purchase is a rare treat. My other weakness is an art shop where I can always find some fresh tubes of paint, or paper and canvasses.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 14-Jan-22 18:16:22

How lovely madeleine. I seem to have lost a few hellebores and am looking forward to getting some replacements.

madeleine45 Fri 14-Jan-22 17:48:42

my favourite "shops" are plant stalls at ngs open gardens. Before covid my pleasure was to visit all sorts of gardens which supported the charity, was enormous and varied pleasure with the opportunity to buy plants at a very reasonable price which you had probably just seen in the garden. I am a galanthophile - snowdrops to you - and used to love visiting other snowdrop gardens and used to buy and swap snowdrops. That was enjoyable and also was a safety thing. If you had a rare snowdrop and something happened to it , you knew someone else would still have it and you could probably get one back from them. Also had wonderful hellebores - same idea. They brightened up a winter garden and reminded you of happy occasions. Hopefully we will be able to get back to doing this in the not too distant future

Mummer Fri 14-Jan-22 17:35:43

Shops have stocked rubbish and samey rubbish at that for decades now! And as for those "zero sizes' shops! Pfaff! Usually go in for a shortcut out of the mall.......