Gransnet forums

Chat

Presuming BJ goes.

(235 Posts)
Mollygo Sat 15-Jan-22 23:19:42

We’ve all had our say about whether he should go or not.
Why not turn this on its head and say who you would like instead of BJ, and why you think they would be good?
First someone from the Tory party because they’re still in. You may struggle to think of anyone, but give it a go.
Then who you’d like from any party or the party you vote for and why.
I’d vote for Andy Burnham. I know he’s only the Mayor of Greater Manchester now, but I think he’s really developed throughout Covid and he listens to the people.

NfkDumpling Mon 24-Jan-22 13:51:16

I agree Oldnproud. Parliament needs to reform, and moving completely to a nice new building somewhere central (I suggest Manchester!) would change the whole mindset of not only the Government, but also the Civil Service which seems to be at the bottom of much of the current turmoil.

Boris' mishaps and misdemeanours have only highlighted what has been going on in Westminster to a lesser and maybe a greater degree (what do we know) for decades. The drinks after meetings seems to be the norm. No wonder we're up s**t creek.

Oldnproud Mon 24-Jan-22 13:44:21

I've come round to thinking that getting rid of Boris needs to be just the start.

The longer he has been in power, the more obvious it has become that he is just the tip of the iceberg, the visible edge of something rotten that goes far deeper.
Yes, he needs to go, but that alone is nowhere near enough.

It's time for a complete overhaul.

We urgently need a brand new, modern, fit-for purpose Parliament, located somewhere central within the UK. A building that: A) Has adequate seating for all MPs; B) Has office space for all MPs; C) Does not seat opposing MPs facing each other in a way that actively encourages the embarrassing and unproductive pack behaviour that we see regularly in the form of jeering, sneering, taunting and shouting down of each other across the floor.
(Oh, and definitely no subsidised bars!).

The new setting must be free of all the antiquated practices, relics of a time when politics was the domain of the privileged few, that still exist in the Palace of Westminster. The practices that 'normalize' bullying and persuasion (blackmail!) within that institution.

Then, with a new setting and more civilised ambiance, it might actually become possible to overhaul the voting system itself, which is also outdated, not designed for more than two 'sides' in politics. First past the post is so clearly not democratic in a multi-party age.

OK, this last one is unlikely to happen in my lifetime, but one has to dream ...

Aveline Mon 24-Jan-22 08:59:56

It's true. Boris simply must go. Best dragging down the whole government. Nicola is also an embarrassment for different reasons but is a side show in the Westminster question right now.
Back to slagging party boy Boris.

Casdon Mon 24-Jan-22 07:36:54

Now straying off the topic completely - what on earth has bitching about Nicola Sturgeon got to do with Boris going - or is it just an attempt to distract from the serious stuff that’s happening with the UK government? It’s not working.

Aveline Mon 24-Jan-22 07:29:32

There is far more to this than that. The truth will out.

FannyCornforth Mon 24-Jan-22 05:33:07

The rumour seems to be based upon the fact that Sturgeon hasn’t been seen in the chippie in The Bridge of Allan hmm

Lucca Mon 24-Jan-22 05:05:31

The woman cannot even be honest about her personal life and carries on the pretence of a sham marriage whilst living with her lesbian lover!!!

Hilarious. Who made that up ? Someone on quora ?

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 04:57:34

Aye, I read she's bought a house in Edinburgh with Andy Murray's mum.

All over t'internet it is.

But I'm the strange and gullible one. Fair enough. ??

Susysue Mon 24-Jan-22 01:31:03

Alegrias1

^Not Nicola Sturgeon - I listen to what my many Scottish friends think and what they call her!!! A definite 'no'.^

I'm Scottish. I call her Nicola to her face (well, I did that one time...) and FM otherwise. Or boss, because that's what she is.

We certainly seem to be having difficulty separating "what my friends who are just like me think" and what the "majority of people think" today, aren't we?

Alegrias1... it is more than obvious that you are a staunge Sturgeon supporter and like the majority of them, you are incapable of discerning how many OTHER people in Scotland, like myself, cannot stand either the woman, her party, her atrocious politics and lies and how singlehandedly she is chipping away at all the good things that us Scots were proud of about our country and countrymen. I know of not ONE single person within my family and large group of friends who does not feel the same way about her and her party's politics as I do. Unfortunately there are far too many in scotland like yourself who has been duped by Nicola Sturgeon and her lies and deceit. The woman cannot even be honest about her personal life and carries on the pretence of a sham marriage whilst living with her lesbian lover!!! Why??? Surely in the 21st century, what is wrong with being honest? Reason.... she is incapable of it. Managed to wheedle herself out of the fact she stabbed Alex Salmond in the back...she was behind that sorry state of affairs!

Mollygo Sun 23-Jan-22 19:22:23

Bossyrossy

Whoever replaces Boris at No.10, I hope they like Carrie’s taste in wallpaper.

Highly unlikely. It will be interesting to see how the next revamp is funded. I tried to find info on how previous revamps were funded without much success.

Bossyrossy Sun 23-Jan-22 17:40:18

Whoever replaces Boris at No.10, I hope they like Carrie’s taste in wallpaper.

effalump Fri 21-Jan-22 17:07:20

Whoever can dance up to a podium.

Lucca Wed 19-Jan-22 08:35:22

Barmeyoldbat

So sorry Luca, just read back over the posts and I got it wrong. Don’t know what’s got into me these days I am certainly living up to my name.

Not to worry

Barmeyoldbat Tue 18-Jan-22 15:04:36

So sorry Luca, just read back over the posts and I got it wrong. Don’t know what’s got into me these days I am certainly living up to my name.

MayBee70 Tue 18-Jan-22 14:04:48

sazz1

Definitely not Priti Patel she's awful. I think Boris is good enough
Labour Kier Starmer was head of CPS when several people made complaints to police about Jimmy Savile. The CPS decided not to prosecute but nothing to do with KS he was just head of CPS at the time. So I will never ever vote for him
Dominic Cummings is behind a witch hunt against Boris. He was sacked mainly for calling Carrie princess nut nut. And can someone tell me why he did not challenge Boris over these parties at the time they happened. Surely he should have raised it in parliament at the time. My guess is he attended them himself. Vile creepy man

Oh please, not the Jimmy Saville thing again. This has been disproved so many times….

FannyCornforth Tue 18-Jan-22 10:07:23

Barmeyoldbat

Luca, ref your comment about Angela Rayner calling the Tories scum, at least she is not lying and hasn’t Johnson himself often done a bit of name calling, calling Muslim veiled ladies letterbox’s and more.

Lucca didn’t say anything about Rayner calling Tory voters ‘scum’.

And she is anything but a Johnson fan!

Valkimob Tue 18-Jan-22 09:47:08

Cant think of a Tory. Yvette Cooper for me.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 18-Jan-22 09:12:48

How would Cummings have raised anything in parliament? He’s not an MP.

sazz1 Tue 18-Jan-22 02:52:41

Definitely not Priti Patel she's awful. I think Boris is good enough
Labour Kier Starmer was head of CPS when several people made complaints to police about Jimmy Savile. The CPS decided not to prosecute but nothing to do with KS he was just head of CPS at the time. So I will never ever vote for him
Dominic Cummings is behind a witch hunt against Boris. He was sacked mainly for calling Carrie princess nut nut. And can someone tell me why he did not challenge Boris over these parties at the time they happened. Surely he should have raised it in parliament at the time. My guess is he attended them himself. Vile creepy man

pennyhapenny Mon 17-Jan-22 23:07:06

pennyhapenny

Not to mention the dire management and failures of the Greater Manchester police which, for which, somehow he has managed to avoid taking responsibility. Also Chief Secretary to the Treasury at the time of the 2008 crash. His opinions bend with the wind - he sits on the fence then says whatever he thinks is going to be the most popular. No thanks!

Sorry talking about @MerylStreep's comment on Andy Burnham here

"I couldn’t vote for Andy Burnham because of his comments/ handling of the Mid Staffs hospital horror."

pennyhapenny Mon 17-Jan-22 23:03:27

Not to mention the dire management and failures of the Greater Manchester police which, for which, somehow he has managed to avoid taking responsibility. Also Chief Secretary to the Treasury at the time of the 2008 crash. His opinions bend with the wind - he sits on the fence then says whatever he thinks is going to be the most popular. No thanks!

MayBee70 Mon 17-Jan-22 20:01:00

I’m beginning to think that Angela is a good replacement for Dennis Skinner. I’d love to know his thoughts on the current government. I wonder how his constituents feel now about replacing him with a Conservative MP.

madeleine45 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:59:22

If we have to have a tory pm I would go back to Theresa May. At least as far as we know she hasnt been lying, cheating, or giving contracts to cronies who dont even hav e business knowledge as an expert in the field required. Yes I agree, John Smith was much missed and mourned as a man of principal and trustworthy. We need more Green party people in the mix, who have taken the trouble to find out information and what possibilities we might use to save energy etc. For instance I was in Sweden over 50 years ago and we stayed in midwinter in a wooden very well insulated bungalow with triple glazing , heated by one small fan heater. Whilst we should be doing all we can to save energy it seems ludicrous when there is so much about electric cars and yet the thing that would make a considerable difference is that if the law insisted that any new buildings would only get planning approval with highest level insulation and triple glazing. They are still building poorly insulated and expensive heating costing properties .If they all had to do it then individual builders couldnt do the usual " well I would like to but the other builders wont and I wouldnt get any business" The overall long term benefit would surely give far more than just using electric cars etc. The triple glazing also meant very quiet places , thus cutting down on neighbour rage etc. If we want things to improve we have to think long term and not just what is going to look good in five years, which is the situation at the moment.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 17-Jan-22 19:37:48

On reflection scum is quite moderate in the current circumstances.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 17-Jan-22 19:35:04

Luca, ref your comment about Angela Rayner calling the Tories scum, at least she is not lying and hasn’t Johnson himself often done a bit of name calling, calling Muslim veiled ladies letterbox’s and more.