Gransnet forums

Chat

Favourite film/s, what are yours?

(70 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 11:14:10

I have 2 favourite films. They are Christmas films, but i can watch them on a hot summers evening, makes no difference to me which season I am in.

They are Home Alone 1 ( which is the Christmas film ) & 2 and Scrooge.

I am not particularly a film fan apart from those two.

smilesmile

Lovetopaint037 Mon 17-Jan-22 09:49:23

The Shawshank Redemption
Gone With The Wind
Little Women ( the 1940’s version with JuneAllyson)
Singing in the Rain
Jingle All The Way.

Hiraeth Mon 17-Jan-22 06:11:07

Sleepless in Seattle ?

NotAGran55 Mon 17-Jan-22 04:09:36

E.T
Lion
To Sir With Love
Forrest Gump

Kim19 Mon 17-Jan-22 03:23:47

Geekesse, do you really think Roman Holiday had a 'happy' ending? One of my all time favourites too but... I wish......

Ali08 Mon 17-Jan-22 03:14:26

'Kelly's Heroes' with Clint Eastwood, Telly Savalos (I just know that isn't how to spell it, but hopefullyI'm close), Donald Sutherland...

'Home Alone'.

The 'Alien' ones and lots of sci-fi.

'Stargate' the original, 'Stargate Continuum' etc.

BlueSky Sun 16-Jan-22 18:19:39

The Godfather. A classic, I know many of the famous lines by heart but still watch it if it’s on TV. And the music just beautiful!

geekesse Sun 16-Jan-22 18:06:53

‘Roman Holiday’ if I want a happy film, and ‘The Scarlet and the Black’ if I’m feeling more serious.

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 17:53:58

Kate That gave me the shivers. ?

Kate1949 Sun 16-Jan-22 17:50:55

Me too Meryl so sad. Also the beginning when she sees him sitting on the bar stool with his eyes closed and says 'Hubble Gardner'. He was very handsome.

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 16:35:08

Ohhhh here we go again, ive messed up my post.

Meant to say - They certainly would not get away with it now.

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 16:33:09

Severnsider
Home Alone certainly wont bring forth tears, laughter yes, laughing yes, tears no... hahahaha.

I watch it time and time again thinking they get away with it now. ( The 'tricks' that Kevin does to the 2 *badies - Marv and Harry hahaha )

Severnsider Sun 16-Jan-22 16:19:35

Cinema Paradiso
Dances with Wolves
Death in Venice
Dr Zhivago

All my favourites seem to be 'weepies' - Can anyone suggest some films to cheer me up?

MerylStreep Sun 16-Jan-22 16:15:05

Kate1949
I can tear up even think of The Way we Were ?
Blinko
If I could only have one it would be Laurence of Arabia.

annodomini Sun 16-Jan-22 16:05:17

Local Hero is the ultimate feel-good film. Denis Lawson masterminds the plot, being all things to all people in the little Highland community threatened by the proposed development of an oil refinery. Burt Lancaster plays the tycoon and Lawson plays him like a trout on the hook!

Millie22 Sun 16-Jan-22 16:04:58

Pretty Woman
Dances with Wolves ...and the music is fabulous
The original Wuthering Heights

I did watch Sleeping with the Enemy a few weeks ago. The bit where she is on the bus after leaving him is such a yes!! freedom moment I always think.

MayBee70 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:48:10

Last of the Mohicans. I was actually chatting to someone on Facebook the other night who told me that many of Jodi May’s scenes had been edited out. It never ceases to amaze me how I can now have a conversation about a favourite film with a complete stranger who lives on the other side of the world who not only loves the same film as I do but has information about it that is new to me. It’s one of the few films that I can watch over and over again.

Redhead56 Sun 16-Jan-22 15:22:08

The Shawshank Redemption
Home alone 1&2
Fred Astaire Ginger Rogers movies.

mrswoo Sun 16-Jan-22 14:44:30

Dr Zhivago
Brooklyn
The Railway Children
Field of Dreams

¹

Blinko Sun 16-Jan-22 14:12:39

For me it’s got to be Lawrence of Arabia, then in contrast, Witness for the Prosecution. It’s a Wonderful Life is on my list too. Oh, and The African Queen.

Witzend Sun 16-Jan-22 14:08:28

I just remembered Sleeping With The Enemy! Goodness, that was brilliant. I’d watch like a shot if it was on TV - must have a look at Netflix.

Muriel’s Wedding is another I’d def, watch again.

Ditto Spotlight - the true story of uncovering Catholic priest abuse in Boston.
And the one we saw in the same week in the cinema - about the chap who foresaw the financial crisis of 2008. Can’t remember the title - does anyone know? Would def, watch that again.

Gin Sun 16-Jan-22 14:03:36

I too love ‘Some Like It Hot’. Others on my list are all oldies: ‘The Third Man’, ‘Black Orpheus’ and ‘Steel Magnolias’. I have not been to the cinema much in the last ten years as the sound is so loud I find it too uncomfortable. Oh I cannot leave out ‘Cabaret’I have it on my replay list band often watch a sneaky half hour of the Kat Club scenes. I would love to see the revival theatre production in London.

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 13:55:39

Ohhhh yes Ben Hur, wow BBbevan very very powerful film.....

BBbevan Sun 16-Jan-22 13:53:02

My absolute favourite is Ben-Hur with Charlton Heston, then in contrast 7 Brides for7 Brothers

Anniebach Sun 16-Jan-22 13:43:41

Always. Spielberg film.

Casablanca, to hear Bogart say ‘we’ll always have Paris’

My Fair Lady.

When Harry Met Sally

Goodnight Mr.Tom. yes a tv film

Serendipity22 Sun 16-Jan-22 13:34:02

Fire lit, warm delicious hot chocolate, settle down to watch film.....

Ive just painted a cold winters day scene, maybe because its bloomin cold outside today...