Gransnet forums

Chat

Routines, are you stuck in one?

(88 Posts)
Sago Thu 20-Jan-22 11:02:51

At the gym yesterday I overheard two gentlemen talking I would’ve said they were aged around 60 to 65.
One asked the other how he was, he replied I’m fine except my neighbours lad is coming round tonight for me to verify pictures on his passport application.
He is coming round at six but would like to have our tea at 5:45 so I’m not sure what to do.

This really shocked me and I drove home thinking I am never going to get like that!

However it’s Thursday morning the day I clean the kitchen ????

Do you have a strict routine?

TillyTrotter Sun 23-Jan-22 09:49:13

I hope the coming year is kinder to you Legs55 and you enjoy your freedom of how to spend your days much more often. They are the sorts of days that make your heart sing I feel ?

Legs55 Sun 23-Jan-22 00:17:13

Nope, no routine except I try to keep Sunday fairly free for reading my papers/doing crosswords & sudoku.

I love being in the garden, I've never been bothered about housework. Washing is done as necessary, bathroom & kitchen kept clean & tidy. I was widowed in 2013 so I only have myself & cat to look after.

The last year has been a nightmare for me, lots of Drs & Hospital appointments, different times, different days but it's taken away a lot of my freedom to just get up & decide what to do that day. At least I now have less appointments so maybe my life may return more to normal grin

Shropshirelass Sat 22-Jan-22 09:53:28

No, not really apart from animal feeding - they know when it is time! My DH always asks me what I have planned, the answer is always I don’t know, whatever I feel like doing, he on the other hand always has a plan. I actually hate being asked what I am doing that day unless I am meeting my very good friends for a girlie chat over coffee!!

GrammaH Fri 21-Jan-22 20:50:21

We tend to have lunch at 1.30 and dinner st 7.30 just so DH knows when to turn up if he's busy - I enjoy cooking so am the chef. We can of course be flexible when necessary the times really aren't set in stone!! Apart from that, no routine at all. I do usually swim 3 days a week but it can be any 3 at any time that suits on the day.

Allsorts Fri 21-Jan-22 19:18:37

I have a kind of routine but am not inflexible, I like to think I’ve things to do most days but always happy if something else crops up.

Audi10 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:10:50

We have a routine but I wouldn’t say that it can’t be changed here and there,

GrauntyHelen Fri 21-Jan-22 18:56:50

Never liked routine

maddyone Fri 21-Jan-22 18:27:05

Don’t have a particular routine although we do clean the house on Fridays. Doesn’t matter if we can’t, we just do it on a different day, but I tend not to actually plan things to do on Fridays. We see the family over the weekend because they’re working/school in the week. If we’re both in we sit down with a light lunch, sandwiches often, and we watch Bargain Hunt together but it doesn’t matter if we don’t. I think most people have some sort of structure to their day eg eating at appropriately the same time. I expect we all have lunch and dinner, that’s a routine isn’t it? But it doesn’t need to be set in stone as it was with my parents. It’s just a case of being flexible surely?

Willow68 Fri 21-Jan-22 17:33:41

I wish I did have a routine, I have always struggled to have structure and routine, I can’t imagine I will change now !
Which is not so bad, it was when my children were younger though, I muddled through somehow x

hollysteers Fri 21-Jan-22 17:28:15

henetha

No routine here. Every day is a muddle.

I’m with you here!?

sazz1 Fri 21-Jan-22 16:50:20

I used to have a very set routine when the children were young and still kept it when I was working. Now I'm retired I go to bed much later, get up later and don't dress until lunchtime.
Washing is done when the basket is full and housework when it starts to look grubby
The exception is that the bed is changed every week without fail. Also I clean the whole house the day before family arrive to stay. At the moment that is around every 2/3 weeks and has been since we moved to the coast.

SachaMac Fri 21-Jan-22 16:35:13

The only routines I have are walking the dog at roughly the same times each day (he isn’t too worried if I have a lie in and we are a bit late). I also do school pick ups a couple of times a week for GC. As I’m retired most of my time is my own and I love the fact that I can more or less do what I want when I want. I’ve never been one for set meal times or bedtimes. Springychicken I’d never turn down the chance of a coffee & chat with a friend to do ironing instead, those kind of jobs can wait. Life’s far too short.

JaneA Fri 21-Jan-22 16:22:18

Oh thuberon, You have made me laugh!

eazybee Fri 21-Jan-22 16:15:12

I don't have a routine: I worked in school all my life and every hour was timetable driven; I did activities in the evening, so jobs were fitted in as and when.
The freedom of doing what I want when I want is still wonderful, ten years later.

Buttercup1954 Fri 21-Jan-22 16:14:38

I have a routine and I love it. Not a strict routine and would find no problem adjusting any of my mealtimes to fit in with other unexpected plans. You need a bit of structure in your life otherwise in my case there would be chaos.

Jerseygal Fri 21-Jan-22 16:02:47

Good Morning? Hope Ya'all are having a Good Day of it. Since I joined I like reading about your World in the UK.

thuberon Fri 21-Jan-22 15:28:08

Dh became like an automaton after he retired. One time, in an effort to shake him up a bit I suggested we went out for breakfast the next day. He agreed and we decided where and when and were both looking forward to it. Next morning, ready for the outing I went downstairs to find him tucking into his usual (ie every day that God sends), porridge and 5 pieces of fruit. I expressed some disappointment and said I thought we had agreed to go out for breakfast. He said Yes that was fine, we would go as planned, he was just having his breakfast first!

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 21-Jan-22 15:08:33

I have a sort-of routine of half-heartedly making a start on the domestic drudgery: washing, cleaning etc in that I intend to start each Monday. However, if something else is going on, I'll always shelve or rearrange. I got a last minute suggestion from my sister to go to the cinema on Monday this week (West Side Story), and I'm afraid I've had more interesting things to do since then so will make a new attempt at the 'routine' next Monday. A domestic goddess I am not!

TheMaggiejane1 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:57:21

I suppose I have routines for things I don’t like doing - otherwise I’d never do them. So I do the laundry on a Monday and Tuesday and iron on a Wednesday. However, if something better is on offer I just do it all a day later or earlier. What I really hate is clubs that you have to attend every week on the same day so your whole week has to be planned around them. My other half likes to do courses at the local U3A type college and it drives me round the bend when he says ‘Oh, we can’t do that on Monday morning, Wednesday afternoon or Friday because I’ve booked those courses this term’.

Mallin Fri 21-Jan-22 14:51:16

Only routine I have is setting alarm clock for Tuesday mornings as my cleaner comes at 9:10 or so after dropping her youngest at playgroup.
Come to think of it, it’s ALWAYS due to others routines that I ever have specific times to do things.

Juicylucy Fri 21-Jan-22 14:20:35

No routine here… life would be boring if it was all put into boxes.

Treetops05 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:20:10

OR SON not orion!

Treetops05 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:19:24

Yes, my FinL lives with us so we work to his routine. Morning tea, 8am, morning coffee 10.45, After lunch coffee 1pm, afternoon tea 2.50. 7-8 Mon, Weds, Fri he plays snooker with my husband orion and Tues, Thurs, Sat and Sunday I go round and watch TV, or listen to music, opera etc. Have done this routinesince 2001 when we moved together, but tv and snooker only 8 years...

LovelyLady Fri 21-Jan-22 14:10:43

No routine.
Why would I give myself routine pressure?
If something doesn’t get done, so what.
I’m not a slave to a timetable.

Nannina Fri 21-Jan-22 13:41:21

I have a loose flexible routine (have to or wouldn’t get anything done) but, now retired, things get put off if anything more interesting is on offer.