Gransnet forums

Chat

What was “night starvation” anyway?

(49 Posts)
Katek Fri 21-Jan-22 11:12:58

Look what I came across……..

player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-horlicks-guards-against-night-starvation-steven-turner-1960-online

Ali08 Sat 22-Jan-22 11:19:36

My wind does blow free, unfortunate at times but at least there's no smell and no nasty pains!

Ali08 Sat 22-Jan-22 11:11:34

annsixty

Did no-one else think night starvation was something entirely different?

No, but I am now! Roflmao

Peartree Sat 22-Jan-22 11:07:35

I remember Ovaltine tablets. My dad used to give us malt extract too even though we were all strapping kids. We didnt have supper though, my dad said cheese gives you nightmares.grin

Blinko Sat 22-Jan-22 10:53:22

FarNorth

I had one of those mixers, but made of glass. I used it to mix orange juice and raw egg into a drink.
I was very upset when I broke it.

I sometimes wake up in a very bad mood and I've realised that that happens if I haven't eaten enough the day before.
So now I make sure to have some sort of supper before bedtime.

I had a mug like this. I drank my night time Bournvita from it.

Witzend Sat 22-Jan-22 10:10:33

Im not sure it’s lactose intolerance in our cases, Monica. I do have a little milk in coffee (though not in tea, it tastes horrible to me) and in sauces, and it doesn’t upset me.

Ages ago now, but my folks once came round the day after we’d had friends round. For the friends I’d made a dip that consisted of about 50% mashed avocado, 50% double cream, and a lot of garlic.

Without thinking, I put it on the table with crisps, etc., for my parents. Only when I saw my father tucking into it with evident gusto did I remember all that double cream!
I told my mother on the quiet - she said, ‘Don’t for goodness’ sake tell him - he’ll be sick!’
He very likely would have, so I didn’t.

ShazzaKanazza Sat 22-Jan-22 08:10:46

Katek my 3 kids used to queue up to get a spoon of cod liver oil and malt. They loved it.
I’d kill for a mug of horlicks but as a Coeliac I can’t. I really miss that lovely milky drink.

BBbevan Sat 22-Jan-22 07:49:31

Horlick tablets were lovely. I could eat a whole packet straight off

BlueSky Fri 21-Jan-22 22:08:50

Teacheranne

Does having a gin and tonic just before bed count to ward off night starvation? If so, I’m up for it!

Teacheranne whatever takes your fancy! Needs must! grin

annsixty Fri 21-Jan-22 22:07:39

I could tolerate the Ovaltine tablets but not the drink and Horlicks both in drink and tablets were an abhorrence .
Even Bornvita and cocoa were horrible.
Give me a hot toddy now at my age any time.

GrannySomerset Fri 21-Jan-22 22:00:35

Was very envious of a friend who had the mug with the nightcap. We used to buy Horlicks tablets after swimming to keep body and soul together until lunchtime. Haven’t seen them for years.

Teacheranne Fri 21-Jan-22 21:52:46

Does having a gin and tonic just before bed count to ward off night starvation? If so, I’m up for it!

Sarahmob Fri 21-Jan-22 21:27:03

I loved Horlick when I was a child (and still do, although I rarely drink it).

BlueSky Fri 21-Jan-22 20:37:39

Loved Horlicks when I was expecting! I can see the sense in trying to get people and especially children or older people to have a hot milky drink at bedtime, I think it does help with ‘Night starvation’!

Aveline Fri 21-Jan-22 19:54:57

Erm we're far far healthier than we were in the past. Life expectancy has increased since the war.

Hetty58 Fri 21-Jan-22 19:41:56

I remember throwing up Horlicks - and all milky drinks. We weren't allowed to be lactose intolerant back then.

I expect the milk marketing board were behind it - along with 'drinka pinta milka day'.

Post war promotion of milk and meat consumption brainwashed our mothers - resulting in the awful poor health of so many today.

Ashcombe Fri 21-Jan-22 19:29:15

Katek

I went looking for this!

youtu.be/qMyY1hTqTzc

What amazing diction and cut glass accents!

ixion Fri 21-Jan-22 19:20:10

mumski

ixion

I remember my grandmother having a bakelite Horlicks mug, with a nightcap cover which I always used to ask for! The smell whilst drinking (anything) was unforgettable!

Ixion seeing the Horlicks mug brought back so many happy memories. I don't remember a night cover with my Grans. It had probably got lost but I remember the mug being used an awful lot. Thank you for posting it smile

?.
One of the beauties of this site - shared memories!

Coastpath Fri 21-Jan-22 17:06:34

When I was a teenager I used to volunteer at the local hospital and my job was making the bedtime drinks. Horlicks was made in vast jugs fitted with the whooshing plunger thing which made it frothy (man!)

If the patients didn't want this they had the choice of the filthy that is Bovril made with milk or a bottle of milk stout! The milk stout was VERY popular.

SueDonim Fri 21-Jan-22 16:06:29

Bovril made with milk? Which monster invented that?? ? ?

M0nica Fri 21-Jan-22 15:53:52

Witzend I read in New Scientist a year or so ago (I will try to find the link) that an aversion like mine( and DS's) and in your family could be caused by mild lactose intolerance, usually people like us - and it certainly applies to DS and I, are often cheese lovers and love hard cheeses.

My aversion includes yoghourt, cottage cheese and cream cheese, but, oddly not cream. DS can eat yoghourt, but not cream. I have no problem with milk used in cooking, just on its own and in drinks. I drink tea with a small quantity of UHT skimmed milk because it is completely without taste or smell.

Witzend Fri 21-Jan-22 14:47:00

Monica, my father always put his utter loathing of milk, or anything that even looked milky, down to being given Bovril made with milk as a child.

IMO it might well be a genetic thing, though, since a sister and I can’t stand the stuff, either, nor cream.

For as long as they were married, over 45 years, my mother used to pretend there was no milk in Yorkshire pudding, which he loved. I remember cases of, ‘Get daddy out of the kitchen!’ while she made it.

Aveline Fri 21-Jan-22 14:32:10

I remember Terry Wogan saying that's it's not the trapped wind you have to worry about -its the stuff that gets away!

Marmite32 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:28:32

I've got it now. Must be the cold weather.

Callistemon21 Fri 21-Jan-22 14:24:14

MayBeMaw

M0nica

It was an advertising slogan devised to increase the market for milky drinks by suggesting you were suffering from a condition that didn't exist.

I think we knew that * M0nica* - even in those days gringrin

Cf “trapped wind” products. As long as it stays “trapped” there’s no problem!

Where 'ere you be, let the wind blow free
Church or chapel, let it rattle!

M0nica Fri 21-Jan-22 14:17:16

I have an aversion to fresh milk and all those 'lovely' hot milky drinks. I spent a lot of time in hospital as a child andI became adept at accepting my 'nice milky drink' and quietly disposing of it down the sink, or, when the children's ward was on the ground floor, out of the window.

When I was 13, a nurse caught me doing this and promptly made another mug and stood over me as I tried to drink it. It made me sick and at that moment the ward sister appeared, asked what had happened and there and then told the nurse off for the event. She was a noticeably unpleasant nurse and I guess the sister had her measure. I never had to accept a milky drink again.