Gransnet forums

Chat

Imperial leather talcum powder

(48 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 22-Jan-22 11:25:31

I always use to buy from a couple of local shops for 1.00 per drum. Now i cant find it anywhere in local shops or supermarkets. I checked on the big selling site beginning with A and the price is 9.00 per drum!!! Is there a shortage of talcum powder does anyone know. This product will now be on my birthday and christmas wish lists at that price.

NotAGran55 Sat 22-Jan-22 18:15:52

We had a ‘ tin’ of Imperial Leather talc donated to our foodbank this week. We estimated it to be from the 60s or 70s.

pinkprincess Sat 22-Jan-22 20:15:29

This was one of my mother's favourites along with the matching soap.

rubysong Sat 22-Jan-22 21:02:47

DH uses Imperial Leather talc to keep his hands dry when playing the guitar. I use IL soap.

Ali23 Sat 22-Jan-22 22:00:54

Imperial Leather talc makes me think of my dad. He used to come down from his Sunday bath shiny clean and smelling of Imperial Leather talc, which he had applied generously. Lovely memories.

MissAdventure Sat 22-Jan-22 22:02:05

I love the smell of imperial leather. smile

Callistemon21 Sat 22-Jan-22 23:02:26

I do like Cuticura talc and yes, I use it fairly regularly.

If anyone is worried about links to talc and cancer (which have largely been disproved I believe) there are alternatives.

I wondered what Burt's Bees Dusting Powder is like - has anyone tried it?

Marydoll Sat 22-Jan-22 23:30:46

There is a fair amount of information on the internet about the link between talcum powder and different cancers.
However, a lot more research is needed to prove or disprove that talc does cause cancer.

Regardless of that, the fact that it is not recommended for people with lung problems and given that I hate the feel of the stuff, means I would never consider using it.

Hetty58 Sat 22-Jan-22 23:49:27

Talcum powder? Is it still around? remember seeing it at my parent's home - and always wondered what it was for.

It certainly wasn't for us. Children used cornflour on their feet. Some people smothered their babies in 'baby powder' too - another curious substance of unknown use

maddyone Sat 22-Jan-22 23:54:43

I use Johnsons baby powder after my daily shower or bath. I love it, makes me feel clean and dry. I used it on my babies too.

Elspeth45 Sun 23-Jan-22 01:37:25

Imperial Leather soap still used in this household.

Hetty58 Sun 23-Jan-22 02:10:27

maddyone, I feel perfectly clean and dry without it - and I'm probably allergic to it anyway if it has any perfume. I do still use cornflour on my feet before long walks, though.

Marydoll Sun 23-Jan-22 07:36:00

I did read that in view of the concerns about talc being carcogenic, some companies have replaced talc in their products, with cornflour.
You learn something new every day! I had never heard of using cornflour, instead talc, until posters mentioned it here.

Megs36 Sun 23-Jan-22 13:16:29

Marks and Spencer’s talc is lovely, soft and perfumed,Ive used it for years and buy it online. Not many people use talc now so hard to obtain, usually around atChristmas time, for me always on my list then, solves pressie problems for family !!

maddyone Sun 23-Jan-22 14:13:48

Hetty, I also feel perfectly clean after a bath or shower, but I don’t feel perfect dry, despite a good rub with a bath sheet. Bit it’s each to their own, what suits one doesn’t suit another. I like powder, only baby powder though, others like Imperial Leather, Cuticura, and cornflour. There’s no right, no wrong, just individual preferences.

Megs36 Sun 23-Jan-22 14:22:55

Hetty Agreed ?

Megs36 Sun 23-Jan-22 14:23:45

And Maddy!

watermeadow Sun 23-Jan-22 18:49:07

I used Johnson’s baby powder on all my babies and Cuticura on myself but stopped after Johnson’s supposed link to cancer, ovarian I think rather than breast.
Who knows what poisons we were exposed to when young? No doubt our descendants will say the same about us.

ElaineI Mon 24-Jan-22 11:32:31

DD2 got lots of baby powder when DGS2 was born so have been using that as she doesn't (think it's frowned against for babies). I don't use much. DGS1 puts a small amount in his swimming cap as it makes it easier to go on.

Esspee Mon 24-Jan-22 13:05:35

Grannmarie

*Esspee*, I googled Swan brand and it come up with Snake brand, is that the same stuff?

Apologies Grannmarie you are quite correct. We had been discussing the excessive number of swans we had seen on our walk just before I made the error. It is Snake Brand. I first purchased it in Thailand or Cambodia (I can’t remember which). I now order it online. It is wonderful.

Elless Mon 24-Jan-22 14:24:04

Talc is like gold dust these days. I used to love Nivea talc but that disappeared. The only reasonably priced talc you can get now is baby talc.

Esspee Mon 24-Jan-22 16:34:50

Baby talc or baby powder is not talc, it is more usually cornstarch. That would account for it being cheaper. I imagine pure cornstarch would be even cheaper.

Grannmarie Wed 26-Jan-22 18:05:46

Thanks, Esspee.?