Gransnet forums

Chat

Would you consider that large and medium-sized dogs should be phased out?

(190 Posts)
mokryna Sat 22-Jan-22 15:13:39

Would you consider that large and medium-sized dogs should be phased out to protect planet as their carbon paw print is the same as an SUV car?
Mark Howell, a councillor for Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole Council claimed that pets consume 20% of the world’s meat and fish and this demand adds to pollution as it has to be transported.
This is not to have present pets euthanized but in the in future would you try to think about the size of the family pet?

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jan-22 17:44:57

I give my dog either fresh meat or Lily's Kitchen. LK do some vegan foods and I threaten her with them every time I order more supplies! Perhaps I should just buy a couple of tins to see if she will eat them - she is the proverbial 'dustbin', loves her food.

PernillaVanilla Wed 26-Jan-22 16:00:21

My quite large dog has allergies and eats a vegan diet of pea protein food. She is very bright eyed and bushy tailed. Dogs are omnivores by nature and don't need to live on meat.

Blondiescot Wed 26-Jan-22 15:51:39

I'm not dismissing the risks around toxocariasis, but what about families who have children and dogs? Isn't there a risk there too? And neither am I for one moment condoning owners who don't pick up after their dogs - they give responsible owners, like me, a bad name.

Chestnut Wed 26-Jan-22 09:52:03

I'm not saying children's playgrounds Coastpath but banned areas where children play. There is a church green here (fenced off but with open gates) which says 'No Dogs' but dog walkers use the green. It's also where the Brownies and other groups of children sit and play on the grass. This is of course a health risk.

I presume the dog owners here know about toxocariasis. At least I hope so. The problem is that it often goes undiagnosed because it's not suspected as a cause of illness.
www.nhs.uk/conditions/toxocariasis/

Coastpath Wed 26-Jan-22 09:33:54

Well that's a great shame Chestnut. The play areas here are fenced off and there's plenty of space outside it to exercise dogs. I often see a dog tied up outside whilst families play on the swings. What possesses people to take their dog in the play area I have no idea. But then, I have no idea why some people don't train their dogs, pick up after them or do so then leave the bag to fester. There's no cure for people.

poshpaws Wed 26-Jan-22 00:28:40

Might as well say we should phase out all obese humans. Stupid man.

Chestnut Wed 26-Jan-22 00:09:27

Coastpath I know from experience that dog owners use banned areas where children play. Mostly when no-one is looking. And a toddler walking in the park should not be confined only to the children's play area. We wanted to walk through the park as the play area wasn't great.

Coastpath Tue 25-Jan-22 22:27:15

My dog is rarely on a lead. She's 12 and trots along happily besides me like a dowager duchess.

For those worried about dogs in parks, don't most childrens' play area have a dog ban anyway? The two in our town do and the beach is dog free from Easter until October. Plenty of very safe, clean places for children to play. Plenty of room for us all and our kids and dogs to just muddle along happily.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 18:52:51

My previous dogs have all enjoyed a lot of off lead walks. I often had 3, sometimes my own 3, other times 2 of mine and a foster.
I still walk the same areas but sadly, if I’ve two or 3 (daughters dog) with me, only 1 is off lead at any time. My young lab isn’t allowed off lead, other than in an enclosed field. He’s too big, too boisterous yet and our walks are now full of dogs like him, except they’re off lead causing mayhem.

Maggiemaybe Tue 25-Jan-22 18:40:52

Farzanah

I haven’t got a dog but think they have, as sentient beings, as much right to exist as we have. After all it’s us humans who are causing much of the damage to the planet and I wonder what evidence there is for their paw print being that of an SUV?

Dr Google says that there have been several studies.

This article quotes data from The New Scientist, and links to various studies. I found it quite interesting.

mossy.earth/guides/lifestyle/pet-carbon-footprint

Nobody’s talking about stopping dogs existing, btw.

Caleo Tue 25-Jan-22 18:16:52

I always preferred the larger breeds until circumstances led me to adopt a 7 year old Jack Russell. This small dog demands much more attention than my lurcher did. Also I am continually grateful I have a large garden for his energetic ball games. To sum up, much depends on the breed and age of the small dog.

Farzanah Tue 25-Jan-22 16:26:10

I haven’t got a dog but think they have, as sentient beings, as much right to exist as we have. After all it’s us humans who are causing much of the damage to the planet and I wonder what evidence there is for their paw print being that of an SUV?

Zoejory Tue 25-Jan-22 16:18:49

I would rather consider phasing out Mark Howell and his ilk

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 25-Jan-22 16:15:41

It’s not a ridiculous post (or thread). It asks for comments on something which had been suggested. The OP didn’t endorse the suggestion.

JaneJudge Tue 25-Jan-22 16:14:50

Germanshepherdsmum

I don’t let my dog off the lead anywhere there are other people.

neither do I smile because she is a rescue and quite bonkers despite extensive training <sigh> luckily she has an owner who has some clue what she is doing but she still sometimes out smarts me! (she out smarts the men in my house all the time though)

Chrissielou Tue 25-Jan-22 16:13:26

Ridiculous post. My clear answer is NO.

Josieann Tue 25-Jan-22 16:06:59

I had a dog who was very excitable and jumped up when on walks. Bring him into the school playground though and he was as gentle and as calm as a lamb, and that was with shrieky 3 - 11 year olds! (I wish he had flattened a few of the parents though!)

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 25-Jan-22 15:59:51

I don’t let my dog off the lead anywhere there are other people.

Chestnut Tue 25-Jan-22 15:55:54

Blondiescot

Responsible dog owners are just as annoyed by people who leave their dog's poo and don't pick it up, or who bag it and don't bin it. That doesn't mean you can tar us all with the same brush! And if you make a big fuss over dogs in a park, all you are going to do is make your children (or grandchildren) afraid of them. And it is the owners' fault - so maybe you should be taking your anger out on them and not the poor animals.

I am already ware of what you say. I'm not tarring you all with the same brush, I'm pointing out the problem. I am not making a fuss over dogs in a park, but have to watch out all the time because they come racing up excitedly with no warning and jump on the child. It's horrible. So how many dog owners on this thread will admit they let their dogs run loose in the park so they go racing around chasing squirrels and toddlers?

Blondiescot Tue 25-Jan-22 15:49:57

Responsible dog owners are just as annoyed by people who leave their dog's poo and don't pick it up, or who bag it and don't bin it. That doesn't mean you can tar us all with the same brush! And if you make a big fuss over dogs in a park, all you are going to do is make your children (or grandchildren) afraid of them. And it is the owners' fault - so maybe you should be taking your anger out on them and not the poor animals.

Chestnut Tue 25-Jan-22 15:39:06

Germanshepherdsmum

Skydancer

I dislike dogs intensely. I am disgusted when I see them doing their business on the beach or on grass verges. Even if the owner picks it up there is still a residue. Everywhere I go there seem to be dogs and many people aren't content with just one. The whole pet trade needs to be regulated. And I agree with whoever said there are too many people and too many dogs.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, but your attitude reminds me why I prefer dogs to most people.

Skydancer made some valid points. It's just that dog lovers are blind to their faults. It is horrible for the rest of us having to put up with stinking dog poo deposited everywhere, even hanging on trees. Imagine if it were human poo, outrage! But we have to accept it because it belongs to dogs. Totally unfair.
Apart from that, those of us with young children are scared to walk in the park because of dogs running loose. I was terrified my little grandchildren would be knocked over and hurt by some excited dog jumping on them. They run very fast and appear very suddenly so you are forever on the lookout and can't enjoy a trip to the park.
I know what you will say....bad owners blah blah. But it's not the owners doing the poo and leaping on toddlers, it's the dogs, and they are everywhere.

Blondiescot Tue 25-Jan-22 15:23:52

Skydancer

I dislike dogs intensely. I am disgusted when I see them doing their business on the beach or on grass verges. Even if the owner picks it up there is still a residue. Everywhere I go there seem to be dogs and many people aren't content with just one. The whole pet trade needs to be regulated. And I agree with whoever said there are too many people and too many dogs.

And this is precisely why I prefer dogs to people...

Josieann Tue 25-Jan-22 15:16:35

Iam64

I currently live with a small spanieland the biggest year old lab I’ve ever seen. Plus my daughter’s middle sized dog, who arrives when her owner is working late…….

That's funny Iam64, our daughter's dog lives here occasionally too. I think I'm seeing double and never know who is who even though hers is years older.

Smileless2012 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:58:36

I hope you have a big house and garden Iam, you must have your hands full when all 3 are together.

We have a little toy poodle, and he is small and a small cockerpoo. I love all dogs whatever their size but prefer small ones so I can pick them up and cuddle them.

Iam64 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:56:09

I currently live with a small spanieland the biggest year old lab I’ve ever seen. Plus my daughter’s middle sized dog, who arrives when her owner is working late…….