Gransnet forums

Chat

I really want what Meghan has! -A frivolous thread.

(94 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Sun 23-Jan-22 14:57:09

No, not Harry but the handbag!
She has it over her shoulder in a photo in the Times today. Just my sort of bag. It’s made by a Scottish firm. Great. Supporting the U.K. is what I want to do.
I went on the website and discovered it was quite pricey , over £400, I didn’t think it would be cheap but wondered if I could ask for it for my birthday.
No I can’t have it it’s made in Spain!
DH breathes a sigh of relief.
How much have you ever spent on a handbag?

nandad Wed 26-Jan-22 22:06:18

Judy54 - it was in the sale! And it was paid for with birthday money. I feel great every time I use it but don’t use it enough to justify what I paid, so really not value for money. Ironically I’m not into designer but quality, and then I won’t get rid of anything because it still looks good. Absolutely love vintage for that reason.

1summer Wed 26-Jan-22 15:05:18

I have 2 Micheal Kors bags and 2 Kate Spade bags all bought in America, they were much cheaper than in UK. The most expensive is £150. But I do covet a Mulberry - Millie, Alexa, Bayswater…. Can’t jusify over £1000 though.

Judy54 Wed 26-Jan-22 14:49:28

Goodness Nandad £380 I would want a whole wardrobe for that. Designer handbags, clothes and jewellery don't interest me. I do agree with what you say about the joy of wanting and the reality of then owning and perhaps not using the item. It doe seem such a waste.

nandad Wed 26-Jan-22 10:31:03

I have far too many handbags. Mainly Radley, 3 are Micheal Kors, 2 Osprey and a Coach one that cost £380, my most expensive. For the past 2 years I’ve been using 1 bag and as I have now retired I don’t know if I will ever use most of those bags again.
The point about the joy is in the wanting has made me stop and think. My 60th is coming up soon and I have lusted and been saving for a very expensive watch for years. Husband has said he will buy it for me for my birthday. Thing is I’m not certain that once I’ve got it if I will actually want it quite so much.

Aveline Wed 26-Jan-22 10:09:54

I ordered some Spode dishes and was appalled to receive nasty thick china ones made in China under licence. Very disappointing indeed.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jan-22 09:28:49

I wouldn’t be surprised OnwardandUpward. After all they eat dogs. I do my best not to buy anything made in China but sometimes country of origin isn’t stated online. I wasn’t pleased to find that some bone china pasta bowls I ordered from the White Company were made in China.

OnwardandUpward Wed 26-Jan-22 08:08:24

I have heard that some leather products made in China might be dog and many designers use factories in China.... I agree with you GermanshepherdsMum about provenance.

TillyTrotter Tue 25-Jan-22 19:29:23

Yes it could be Josieann and the hand cream that I put on daily wouldn’t help. ?

Josieann Tue 25-Jan-22 19:00:22

Handles often go shabby sadly TillyTrotter. I wonder if it is the sweat in our palms?

TillyTrotter Tue 25-Jan-22 18:56:25

I had a Radley Bag in a design called The Potting Shed.
It was a stone colour and unfortunately the dye on the leather came off the handles making it look shabby after a while.
I did not think that should have happened but it was a gift.
I believe it cost about £120.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 25-Jan-22 18:43:57

That's great, well done!

maydonoz Tue 25-Jan-22 16:37:48

Hi Germanshepherdsmum
The bags I buy in Turkey are not real but faux leather. I asked the guys about this and was told they haven't used real leather for about thirty years.
I think the price indicates this!

Juno56 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:54:42

Sorry that should say £150.

Juno56 Tue 25-Jan-22 12:46:08

The most I have spent on a bag is £250 and on a cost per wear basis it has been an absolute bargain. A black leather Radley cross body big enough to carry a tablet, kindle, phone, cards, keys etc comfortably. I love it, so much so I bought the same bag in brown. It is nearly 6 years old now and still looks like new (apart from the little Scottie dog that my DGD loves to 'finger' ?).

Lovetopaint037 Tue 25-Jan-22 10:56:54

Bags for me have to possess a cross over strap so I can’t lose it,a side pocket (one or two) to accommodate my bus pass so no hunting through a bag, also keys. Inside I want a separate zipped place for credit cards so separate from purse. I don’t keep anything except loyalty cards in purse and of course money. In which case losing a purse would cause less trauma.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 25-Jan-22 09:24:08

I’ve found myself at work with one black shoe and one navy too Yammy! Dressing quickly and going out in the dark …

Yammy Tue 25-Jan-22 09:19:59

I got a Mulberry handbag for my 70th not top of the range! DD's suggested it could be my bag for "life" not sure of the price or the sentiments. I've never been anywhere to use it.
In the past, I have had Jaegar that lasted years and when I worked always tried to have marron with a zip pocket for keys. It matched everything, that was after twice landing at work with one black and one blue shoe on, one pair was exactly the same the other two different heel heights and one heel was wooden . It was dark wintertime that's my excuse anyway.hmm

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 25-Jan-22 08:37:11

Do you know the origin of the leather your Turkish bags are made from Marydonoz? After reading about the use of hides from worn out working donkeys I would rather know something about the provenance or steer clear of leather. Difficult and time consuming I know.

henetha Mon 24-Jan-22 18:50:54

I love Kipling bags, but even then I only buy them when on sale. The most I have paid is £35.
They are so light yet strong, have lots of pockets and come in pretty colour choices and they do lots of cross body bags.

PamelaJ1 Mon 24-Jan-22 18:06:02

maydonaz one of the reasons I was interested in the bag was that it appeared to be made by a British company. I am really trying to buy things made here.
At the moment I’m bidding on a Ridley bag on eBay that should match my wedding outfit later this year. Not sure where it is made but I give myself some leeway if it’s second hand?

maydonoz Mon 24-Jan-22 17:49:07

For the past few years I've been buying my bags from a factory in Turkey which we know and get them at a good price. I used a navy blue one for a few years until it needed a small stitching repair. Now I have a wine coloured one, their style is quite similar, with an over shoulder strap and a few sections with zips, both inside and out. I find them very functional for carrying mobile, keys and mask on the outside and two sections inside for bits and pieces.
I don't change over unless one wears out, I wouldn't want to move all my stuff around.
On my last trip I got one for my DIL and she's using it.
They cost about £20 which is not cheap in Turkish lira.
The most expensive bag I bought was from M&S, it cost £50 at least twenty years ago but it was leather

ElaineI Mon 24-Jan-22 11:27:09

I love Radley bags and have a few but since the pandemic all I take is a reusable carrier bag with my purse, hand gel and a few masks inside. I don't know if I will ever go back to handbags ?

harrigran Mon 24-Jan-22 10:31:39

I wouldn't want Meghan's bag, not attractive.
I have several Mulberry bags and some other desirable ones, they represent good value because you can return them for repair or refurbishment.

DillytheGardener Mon 24-Jan-22 10:25:07

I have a YSL bag, some Kate Spade bags in various colours/styles and a couple of coach bags. So a bit of everything. I invest more in bags than my clothes. Most of my clothes come from a catalogue, but I feel I can jazz up my outfit with good hair and a nice purse. People then assume your clothes are as pricey as your bags. (All of which came from sales and or EBay) I understand why some people don’t splurge on bags though, the things that spark joy is different for everyone.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 24-Jan-22 10:20:42

Curiosity got the better of me and I looked at Pammiel’s picture. Nope, wouldn’t want that at £4 let alone £400. Don’t like all the pockets that splay out.