Gransnet forums

Chat

“When I am an old woman I shall wear purple…..”

(104 Posts)
Tina49 Tue 25-Jan-22 09:53:46

I thought of Jenny Joseph’s poem, when I read this (guff!?) about the Pantone colour of the year. It’s basically purple, but they’ve called it Very Peri confused

We are living in transformative times. PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri is a symbol of the global zeitgeist of the moment and the transition we are going through. As we emerge from an intense period of isolation, our notions and standards are changing, and our physical and digital lives have merged in new ways. Digital design helps us to stretch the limits of reality, opening the door to a dynamic virtual world where we can explore and create new colour possibilities. With trends in gaming, the expanding popularity of the metaverse and rising artistic community in the digital space PANTONE 17-3938 Very Peri illustrates the fusion of modern life and how colour trends in the digital world are being manifested in the physical world and vice versa

www.pantone.com/uk/en/color-of-the-year-2022

Marydoll Tue 25-Jan-22 19:07:44

I too love purple.
When I was teaching, just about every pupil in my school knew it was my favourite colour.
Everything had to tone, not match from head to toe!

Witzend Tue 25-Jan-22 19:32:46

I’m reminded of the ghastly Miss Maud Doggett (fellow fans of Barbara Pym’s novels will know who I mean) who always seemed to be wearing a purple wool dress, festooned with gold chains.

Yammy Tue 25-Jan-22 19:54:29

We bought our first house in the 70's purple was the colour and we inherited a bathroom and loo that were two shades of purple. DH said it was like having a bath with a migraine attack. We decided to paint it only to find it was a kind of gloss paint, it took DH and his father nearly a week to get it off eventually with a sander.

CanadianGran Tue 25-Jan-22 22:04:21

I think I like it in the garden only.

Grandmafrench Tue 25-Jan-22 22:08:38

Blossoming

Thank you Grandmaseadragon that’s the pure, unadulterated, undyed me smile

It was such a lovely pic of you, Blossoming and now you have made yourself sound like a nice piece of Haddock !!! ?

Tina49 Tue 25-Jan-22 22:17:27

Grandmafrench - nice to see you posting smile

Blossoming Tue 25-Jan-22 22:58:41

I’m not sure I like being compared to a fish, even a nice one. GrandmaFrench ?

Georgesgran Tue 25-Jan-22 23:59:53

Love purple - either in jumpers or scarves. We too had a purple front door in the 70s, but nothing purple in this house now, but it would make a good accent colour in my family room, which is going to be grey.

OnwardandUpward Wed 26-Jan-22 00:20:41

I love Veri Peri and there are so many lovely things online in the colour of the year! I keep seeing it for home décor more than fashion, but maybe its for both? I've also seen the same (or very similar) shade being called Periwinkle.

Veri Peri cushions sound like a great way to brighten and update your space Georgesgran

poshpaws Wed 26-Jan-22 00:33:20

"a symbol of the global zeitgeist of the moment" .... well b**ger me, that takes the biscuit for taking yourself a tad too seriously! At least it made me laugh .. how bloomin' pretentious can you get?!

FannyCornforth Wed 26-Jan-22 03:26:02

Peri-menopausal Purple
was the first thing that came to my mind
Not a nice colour in my opinion. I like purple, but not that shade.
Also, wasn’t purple quite the thing only quite recently?

FannyCornforth Wed 26-Jan-22 03:28:33

OnwardandUpward
I always thought periwinkle was blue; but it can be blue or purple

absent Wed 26-Jan-22 05:10:55

I think the essence of the poem is to undermine the idea that old women should make themselves more or less invisible or, at least, obscure by wearing beige or grey. Wearing purple is presented as an act of rebellion – and it probably is. Good for all of you who wear purple or any bright colours. Just because we are getting older, doesn't mean we are insignificant.

M0nica Wed 26-Jan-22 06:26:20

I have always worn bright colours and do still and will continue to do so.

As said above I avoid wearing black because I have a sallow skin, and as for all, but a lucky few, we all get more sallow as we age, I have never understood the extent to which older women wear it, or purple, for that matter.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 26-Jan-22 10:06:36

I wear black a lot, also navy. I have very pale skin and grey/white/blonde hair.

TerriBull Wed 26-Jan-22 11:14:38

Adore purple absolutely my favourite colour since it emerged a front runner back in the 1960s, I've never gone off it, I love it so much I once envied the priests who said mass because it seemed to me that the ecclesiastical purple was what they got to wear more than any other shade envy

nannyof4 Wed 26-Jan-22 11:44:11

I love purple too.

Happysexagenarian Wed 26-Jan-22 11:47:23

Not too fond of purple myself, it doesn't seem to suit me. But I love the Red Hat poem, that's going to be me when I get old-er. Oops I forgot, I'm already there!!

missdeke Wed 26-Jan-22 11:56:57

What a load of old guff. A pretty colour seen many times before, it baffles me that people fall for that absolute rubbish spouted by companies that basically do nothing but fool others into wasting spending money on nothing.

Happypie Wed 26-Jan-22 11:57:49

What bilge that description is. Sounds like something a stoned Hippie art critic would have said back in the 60s. Dig that deep purple man ✌️

nanna8 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:03:08

That poem is the Red Hatters special poem. They used to hand it out to new members.

Happypie Wed 26-Jan-22 12:05:28

What bilge that description is. Sounds like something a stoned Hippie art critic would have said back in the 60s. Dig that deep purple man ✌️
Love that poem though.

grannysue101 Wed 26-Jan-22 12:12:29

Ooh no. My school uniform was purple. Nuff said!

Spec1alk Wed 26-Jan-22 12:15:29

Very peri in my socks- trendy?

trisher Wed 26-Jan-22 12:20:33

Sorry I read the link as Panettone and thought there was a new purple Christmas bread!